1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strategy in RTS?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Aikanaro, May 16, 2004.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I'm finding that the problem with RTS games is that there is no actual strategy involved. Things are happening too fast to go about ordering units into brilliant positions. It's easier to just charge in with one huge army than zoom around the entire map to set up individual battles.
    So, is there such thing as real-time with pause strategy? And failing that, any turn based games out at the moment (or not out. I'm sure I can go hunting in the depths of the internet if need be)?

2. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

3. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Kohan - Ahriman's Gift is definitely a tactical RTS, especially with the option to configure companies of soldiers to your liking. It's an extremely hard game if you don't use tactics. My friend didn't, and he couldn't complete the second level. That said, I did use strategy, and couldn't complete the fourth. I'm not great at strategy though, and the limit of my tactics is attacking from the rear to kill of the various magic-users and placing beefy but slow units in the path of retreat of the enemy so they get hacked to chunks, and slamming cheap scout cavalry into combat so that fleeing companies get (hopefully) run down. The morale system helps too, and throwing in magickers with fear-causing spells enhances the chance of fleeing. There are many other tactical features that can be used, such as terrain, entrenching companies and extending supply range.

4. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Medieval: total war. the game itself is turn based, the battles are real time, but with a speed slider and a pause option and if you don't use strategies in this game, you will lose. It has cool moral system, where the units checks if there flanks are cowered and so on. and the terrain plays a huge part in the battles, cavalry and archers becomes useless if the enemy hides in forests, your units slow down if the walks up hills, while they get speed bonus running dawn and so on the game is great.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'll second what Equester says.

M:TW is a bloody awesome game! Can't wait for R:TW! :D

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yep, Medieval was great, and so was Shogun. Lots of tactical stuff inthere. Another one which you can't win unless you make use of careful planning is Praetorians. If you don't make use of the dense forests, narrow mountainpasses and ridges, and scout the area before marching in, you're gonna have one hell of a time to beat that game.

In case you never heard of it, here's a site with some screenshots.

7. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I rented 'MediEvil' for a while and found it quite amusing. Was it 10000 units? Anywayz, it guarantees a lot of fun tactical hours. Yey! Now with the Roman expansion coming up, can't wait to play it once.

8. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Oh Rome: total war is not an Expansion, but the third game in the Total war series. And the new options and improvements makes it sound great and the graphic is even better instead of 2d units they will finally be 3d.By the way there is an expansion for Medieval called Viking invasion

9. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I used to really enjoy "Age of Empires/Age of Kings"...until I actually tried playing against other 'live' people. Talk about a humiliating experience.

Unless you were fast, you were doomed...little if any strategy. Rush...Rush...Rush...and they all learn the hot recipe of the day, and practice it to perfection. They don't seem to really play, but just go through some well-practices motions.

Ruined the fun for me.

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I know what you mean. I like to quietly build up my economy, see how things work, and much later i start thinking of going to war. My brother once played an online session of Age of Kings with a friend of his. My brother is kinda like me, so he started building and upgrading, but didn't start exploring yet. His opponent on the other hand, build immediately a dockyard, created a transportship, loaded all his villagers in it, and started looking for my brothers island. Once he got there, he started building, loads of sentry towers, a barracks, archery, and stables. out of my brother's sight of course. Then he sent a scout into his camp, had his soldiers chase him, and the waiting troops and sentry towers did the rest.

Tricky move, but not my idea of playing a fun game.

11. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

if your going to play age of empires i would recommend playing the custom scenario games. Some of them actually require strategy...in the upper ranks at least. hero fest, archers blood, etc.

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    No. They suck.

Practice Random Map as much as possible. Then play 1v1 arabia online. It's he only way to get good. ;)

And btw, Hacken Slash. You obviously know nothing about AoC. The skill is in the rush. No one map is ever the same, so as well as practicing a lot to try and gain perfection (in all areas I might add), you need to know how to think on your feet and adapt to situations.

It requires ALOT of skill.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.