1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strange Sounds

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, I just purchased a new computer about a month ago, and I finally got the BG2 bug again and installed it onto my computer, along with the latest patch. The sound though is very strange. All of the sounds have a slight echo effect to them almost. It's like the characters are talking from behind a door and it just sounds "fuzzy" for lack of a better term. Any suggestions here? Is there an audio choice you can make to stop this from happening?

2. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I have the same bug, the same echo ONLY with Skull trap spell (yes, even other Necromancy spells go off fine). I guess some of the files are corrupted, but I really don't want to reinstall.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think this is an issue with AC'97, an on-board sound chip. It's been reported here before, but I don't think anyone came up with a working solution to the problem. Someone should mail the driver makers and explain the issue to them.

4. GrinninIdjut Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I had this problem a long time ago. IIRC it went away when I went into the sound menu and disabled the environmental audio.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'll try turning off the environmental sounds for sure. I can tolerate that easier than hearing all of my characters talk as if they're in an echo chamber all the time.

6. Seb Gems: 1/31

Not sure if you managed to solve your problem or not, but just in case you didn't:
    I had the same problem with a computer a short while ago (Not with SoA, since I wasn't playing it at the time, but it sounds like the same issue). It was related to a mother-board based sound chip. The solution was to have a tech install an add-on sound board (pretty cheap these days) and disable the original mother-board based sound chip. After that, no problem. It may cost $20-$40 worth of hardware, but should solve the problem (it was very annoying).

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I wouldn't really call that a solution... it means buying a new sound card and disabling the on-board one. A useful solution would be to do something about AC'97 to get it to work properly.

8. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If the on-board sound is really from an on-board sound chip then yes, replacing it with a new sound card should not have to be done. Some mommyboards that claim to have on-board sound really just have a software emulation of a sound chip. Methinks that AC'97 is really just this software package. Then adding a real hardware sound card is a good idea. Once in a while my BG2 goes all the way to 99% cpu usage and stays there. (some kinda bug in BG2) How is a software 'sound card' going to be able to work if it never gets enough cpu time?

9. Taluntain

Media:
    AC'97 is not software as far as I know.

10. Seb Gems: 1/31

I must admit that I could not say with certainty whether or not it is software based or an actual hardware chip (as I had stated). But to the best of my recollection (and my albeit perhaps limited understanding), with respect to my circumstance the tech explained that it was a "Soundblaster" chip on the motherboard, and that it simply could not handle the sound inputs (mp3 and wav files). It was replaced by a "Soundblaster" card and it solved my problem. Of course, it may not be the same problem described by Aldeth at all (sounded like the speaker was made of aluminum foil - high pitched; very tinny). I do recall that the tech tried a software (driver?) alteration first, which actually seemed to work for a while, but eventually the problem resurfaced, although much less frequently. In the end, the card solved the problem once and for all, though, from a design perspective I must agree that this isn't really a "solution", just a "work-around".

11. Taluntain

Media:
    No, this is simply a driver issue. AC'97 works just fine in all other games I know of.

12. Atari Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I also had this problem, all I could hear where echoes, but I went to the sound menu and turned off environmental sounds. That did the trick. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.