1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting over

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Cap'n CJ, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    So, I got Dragon Age when it first game out and I rolled a City Elf Rogue, I loved it.

However, about 40 hours (!) into the game, my Hard Drive died and I lost my save :(

I've finally grabbed the game off Steam again and i'm going to start over, but I have no idea what as. I don't really wanna do another Rogue, sooo.. What's fun?

I'm thinking a blaster Mage.

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Noble Dwarf Warrior is a good choice. I like Dwarf Commoner a lot but it may be better suited for a Rogue (although a Warior would work too).

I don't like Mages that much. ;)

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I dunno, warrior doens't really appeal to me that much. Also, I suppose I should consider which companions I want to take along.. Hmm.

Edit: For my party i'm thinking along the lines of Morrigan, Allistair, and Leliana. I suppose a Two hander warrior would fit in well.

Re-Edit: But that leaves me with no space for Wynne.. But I really like Leliana and Morrigan, and Allistair.. Dammit, does my character REALLY have to be involved in the story atall? :p

The final Edit, I promise: Is there a way to reallocate the skill points and maybe even the specializations of NPCs?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    CJ, this mod will allow you to respec a character:

http://social.bioware.com/project/469/

It's worth checking out. In fact, Caradhras has 2 excellent threads in this forum that list many of the better mod options.

With respect to class, Cara doesn't like mages largely because he thinks they make the game too easy. They are certainly are powerful, but in my opinion, worth playing at least once. The mage origin gives you an unique perspective on many things that happen later in the game. Honestly, I find rogue to be the most fun. I still haven't played a warrior PC.

5. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I was going to play a mage, but then I decided I had unfinished business as a Rogue.

I'm currently at Ostagar, about to battle to the top of the tower.

Edit: But I picked the Violent voice and he keeps yelling "Can I get you a ladder so you can get off my back!?" ARGH!

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I believe there's a mod that removes those annoying protagonist voices. They do nothing for game immersion. You might want to check that out.

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

7. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Woo, I managed to kill the ogre at the top of the tower on my first attempt! Only lost the circle mage, and i'm not that worried. My character did the special kill animation too! *cheer*

8. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] It's a good idea to play a Mage at least once. I've played the Mage origin at least six times but I've only taken one Mage throughout the game.

At one point or another I always feel like restarting the game with a Mage. They don't keep me interested the way Rogues do.

I'm not too keen on humans either to be honest.

Link. This mod changes the original sound set. I prefer the silent mod myself (it's listed in the mod list but you need a new game to select it).

Making a soundset from scratch is a lot of work, you have to edit more than 140 files. I certainly don't have the energy nor the time at the moment.

EDIT: out of curiosity, which origin did you pick for your Rogue Cap?

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

All three classes can be fun. I recommend playing all three.

I have played 1 mage, 2 rogues, and 1 warrior from beginning to end. I'm on my 3rd rogue.

I typically prefer a warrior or a mage to rogues but DAO makes playing rogues fun with the ability to play the rogue as a cunning thief/backstabber or you can be a strong rogue who tanks but still goes stealth and backstabs.

As for mages, there are also so many types of mages you can play. You can play as a disabling mage, a damager, a warrior who uses spells to protection oneself or enhance damage output, etc...

When I played as a mage I was going for AoE damaging and disabling spells with Wynne in my party as the healer and group enhancer. My next mage will be a warrior with disabling ability.

If you play a warrior leave old whinny boy Alister home. Bring along Morrigan, Wynne and Leliana. I have Wynne and Morrigan and between them most enemies fall asleep followed by horror or nightmare, etc... Wynne is my mage disabler with Mana Clash. Great way to take out those pesky mages. Pretty soon I will have them work together to use grease and fireball.

If you want to have a ton of fun you should play a mage Arcane Warrior and be the groups tank with Wynne and Morrigan being the supporting mages along with Leliana to disarm traps and open locks.

10. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

DW Warrior with momentum and dual-striking is pretty amazing :)

11. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    It is? But I thought that dual striking disabled backstabs and critical hits, which negates all the items that give bonus damage for rogues. And Momentum drains stamina too, so it's best activated after you've expended most of your stamina, I think.
    In the late game, my rogues seemed to be just as effective without dual striking. I didn't even select momentum, so I don't know how bad the stamina drain is.

12. Marceror

Media:
    Dual striking is debatable, and situational at best. I've used it sometimes when my rogue was the center of attention from enemies (no chance for backstab). Momentum on the other hand is one of those talents that you should really use as often as humanly possible. Once my stamina supports it, I use it at all times. Doesn' take too long to get there with a few +stamina/stamina regen items.

13. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    City Elf, it's pure brutality all the way through. Also, it's how the original character went, so I wanted to finish the game as one.

I can see myself playing through as a Mage at some point, not sure what focus it'll be though.

14. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

DW *WARRIOR*, not rogue :-D. Of course you don't use dual-striking with a rogue, for my warriors I generally focus on str/willpower, so bigger hits mean more than crits, and don't get the punisher/etc. skills, rather pump precision/perfect striking/disengage/berserker/reaver :).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.