1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting again, dropping BG2

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Orkrist the Cleaver, May 3, 2001.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I have a few months left of gaming activity before I start law school. I've played BG1, IWD/HOW and I'm on CH 4 of BG2. BG2 doesn't do it for me really for some reason. I had originally planned to do BG2, TOB and Planescape. Now, I'm considering dropping BG2 for the meantime and starting another IWD party to play through most of IWD, HOW and then the new area, and finish IWD again.
    I think IWD is themost fun to play, and I sdon't usually like hack'n'slash type games. So, wehn does this DL game come out?

2. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think were the only two who like Iwd/how better than BG2. I loved chapter 2 in bgs but after that I quickly became tired of the game. IWD/HOW rulez...have you played Fallout 2? I just started it and it's great!!!

3. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Totally GONMAR. IWD has the best art and sound, and the story isn't epic but it sustains the game. I loved in HOW when you meet the seer. That was a seriously cool character. BG2 is cool, but it doen't make me want to play everyday like BG1 and IWD did for some reason. I could install IWD tonight and play every day until I was done, even after playing the game several times. I don't know what it is about it but it rocks. I have found, much like yourself, that after CH 3 for me in BG2, it just didn't draw me. I'm in Spellhold now, and Ihave that awful gaming feeling, that feeling of; I can't wait to get out of here and move on to the next area that I can't wait to get out of! In IWD, and BG1, I enjoyed the gaming moments wondering what was around the next dark passage or just outside the fog of war. In BG2, I'm like, OK, do this, do that, go here, go there, kill him, grab item x, turn switch, go there... you getthe picture. IWD rocks. I remember on BGDungeon there were a few IWD die-hards. I don't know where they went off to.

4. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

As of last Sunday I've stopped playing BG2 and I've been trying to find a balanced party in IWD that includes a bard, a druid, a good cleric, an evil cleric, a mage, a thief, someone to use the axes, someone to use 2-handed swords and 2 tanks. Ten requirements to distribute between six people. :)

I'm prefering IWD right now because the enemies progress in difficulty with your party, unlike BG2 where your party fresh out of Jon I.'s dungeon can wander upon a lich on the city gates map. It took me about 10 tries to figure out that battle was a bit too much for my party even though we outnumbered it 6 to 1.

I still plan to finish BG2 sometime because it's a great game, but I much prefer the flow of IWD. When I go back to BG2 I'll most likely first finish TotSC (I was ready to move on from BG1 and only went so far as to get the Tome in Durlag's Tower) and then import my BG1 character with the XP maxed out for an added boost for those unexpected encounters. :D

As of right now, IWD:HOW is my 3rd favorite game of all time, right after Thief 1 & 2. (I feel I can't judge BG2 until I've finished it.)

Edit: Quote from the front page of this site: "It" (the download mission pack) "is tentatively planned to be available for free at the end of May/very early June 2001 on Interplay's official web site."

[This message has been edited by Bowie (edited May 03, 2001).]

5. Havok Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I thoroughly enjoy creating and playing my own party of six...that's why IWD/HoW rocks in my book.

You apparently can't do this sort of thing in BG2 because the NPC's are crucial to completing the quests.

I've even gone back to play BG in multi-player mode, and created my own 6 character party. In BG, the NPC's tell you the quests, but they aren't crucial to completing them.

6. Goliath Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Beleive it or not I actually prefer IWD over BG2. Don't get me wrong I really did enjoy BG2 but the story just never grabbed me. Seems like chatper two was the best because at that point there were so many quests and different things you could do. In IWD the story is strait forword and in your face. I also can't stand not starting from level 1. I know you could import from BG1 but it just isn't the same. The other biggest plus is the abilty to create all of your own characters. I might go through BG2 in Multiplayer mode just so I can try all the different kits but IWD is the better overall game IMO.

Goliath

7. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

And to think I thought Orkist and I were the only ones...Long live the dale

8. When I get tired of doing the same old quests in BG2 and just wants to go kill something I allways fall back to IWD.
    And the same thing goes for IWD...

Need to find me some other games to play soon. Is Planescape any good?

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah, Planescape is great. Plus, it is VERY, VERY different. Hack n Slash w/ IWD; classic RPG w/ BG2; brains & brawn w/ Planescape Torment.

I highly recommend it!

10. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Glad to hear some more diverse views on IWD vs. BG2. IWD is my favorite by far. I miss it. I think its time to blow the gathering dust off it and crank it back up. I can hear the music now. Plus, I happen to love the colder clime. I want to get to Planescape at some point-how long is it? Hows the art, music and design?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.