1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Star Wars battlefront 2 and other SW games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Balle, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i loved playing battlefront 1 for xbox, and i am now cosidering buying it for ps2 or pc? are they much differetn, and which do you think i should buy?

and what about the jedi series do you enjoy that?

2. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I have both Battlefront 1 and 2. The first one I enjoyed a lot. It doesn't have the most immersive storyline going, but it's good fun for a quick fight. The second one I haven't played as much, since I haven't had it for long, and also because I have a tendency to go "Woo, Starships!" and lose missions by simply flying around.

As for other Star Wars games, get Knights of the Old Republic 1 + 2, they are great. The only Jedi series game that I have played is Dark Forces 2/Mysteries of the Sith. It's good fun too.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

KotoR I can *just* play with my graphics card. The other SW PC games (Dark Forces, Jedi Knight: Dark ForcesII+MotS, Jedi Outcast: Jedi KnightII, Jedi Academy) are playable with Win2K, though Dark Forces is dodgy. I played it originally with Win95/98 using Compatibility Mode. I recommend them all, but you might find the graphics of the earlier games yucky/boxy.

Nice to see what Jedis do with their lightsabres when bored. :lol:

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Both Jedi Knight games (Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy) are excellent, if you like FPS. I've heard Republic Commando is decent, if you like squad-based FPS games (like Rainbow Six, etc.) - I don't personally. Both Knights of the Old Republic games are fantastic as well, though KotoR 2 (The Sith Lords) was deeply flawed, because they rushed to get it out the door by Christmas last year and didn't properly de-bug it.

It's still $50 now, and IMO isn't worth playing until the Team Gizka restoration project comes out, which will hopefully be in the next few months. Team Gizka is a group of fans who've salvaged content from the game discs that wasn't included in the final release, and restoring the game to its proper glory (because the developer will never do it).

Go to http://www.team-gizka.org/ for regular updates on the process. I've uninstalled the game and won't play it again until it's complete.

If you like RTS, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds is a great game. It's essentially a Star Wars mod for Age of Empires 2, but with a little better graphics and MUCH more variety in units, etc. Another Star Wars RTS is slated for release soon, though it only focuses on the original trilogy.

About a third of all Star Wars games are actually very fun. The rest are total sh*t, milking the license for all it's worth. For every Knights of the Old Republic, there's a Clone Wars and a Super Bombad Racing to roll your eyes at. ;)

5. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I forgot Republic Commando. It's a very good game, but a little too short for my liking. The end made me sad, as well.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds and Clone Campaigns are cool although I haven't met many other people who have liked them.

But for pure Star Wars adrenalin, you can't beat the original arcade Star Wars game with the classic Death Star trench battle. Those "3-D" graphics really made it feel like you were in that X-wing. And with Luke saying "R2, try and increase the power" every 10 seconds, you always knew the Force was truly with you.

Any subsequent game is just a pale imitation of the original.

7. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

thx for all your replies(spl?)

but i still don't know whether you think i should buy for PC og PS2!
    do you have any experience with that?

do you prefer anything, i think i would prefer a game as battlefront on pc

thx in advance!

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I like the PC because I don't have a game console anymore.

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Ok based on your recomendations I've bought my first Star Wars game. Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Saga - Galactic Battlegrounds & Clone Wars

Thanx

10. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    I always prefer PC over consoles (unless they ported the accursed game, which makes the PC version almost as bad). Consoles have bad load times, dodgy controls (especially for a fps! I can never imagine playing fps on anything other than a mouse), sub-par graphics compared to a PC (with a decent graphics card of course) and is usually bug ridden and has less content (they tend to put in extra content in PC games than their console counterparts).

Unfortunately, companies these days find it more profitable to release games on multiple platforms, and this really really ruins my day :flaming: since they have to split resources. Take KOTOR for instance, great game, great story, but bug ridden and absolutely maddening with the controls and perspective on a PC.

I am a PC person all the way. As for the games, the Jedi Knight series is solid (even the old ones! entire series is highly recommended) ,and so is the KOTOR (the excellent storyline makes up for the bugs and the fact that its a multi platform release). I personally didn't like Galactic Battlegrounds. I heard good things about Republic Commando, but its also a multi platform release :nolike: and never really played the other Star Wars games.

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I personally prefer PC's also. Yes, it's much more expensive to play the latest games because you need a top-notch PC. If you have a very limited budget, consoles are the way to go. But since I have a career where luckily having a rather robust system is also a necessity, PC games are where I focus (even though I won a PS2 and a Gamecube).

On topic - DarkStrider, excellent choice. :)

You'll have a ton of fun with that game. It's good that you got the expansion - it adds a lot of versatility and improvements to the game. I wouldn't bother too much with the campaigns - I found them to be so-so. The real fun is co-op games with friends. Lan parties with this game are downright addicting, because you really feel like you're in the battle. With the combination of the familiar units, buildings, sounds and of course John William's excellent music - well, you get the idea.

Have fun.

/me goes digging around to reinstall SW:GB.

edit - If anybody wants to do an online game, send me a pm. Fun fun.

12. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Have to agree. If you are low on budget, a console is the way to go, since you don't need to upgrade it every time a new game comes out.

Indeed... brings back memories of all the LAN parties I had. Those were the days of JK: Dark Forces when a whole bunch of people are duking it out with lightsabers in the middle of the map... until a sneaky fellow fires a Force Destruction right into the middle of the battle. End results weren't pretty :D

13. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I've played Star Wars Monopoly on PC! :hahaerr: But that was a long time ago and isn't exactly the same as these other games that have been mentioned. But it *is* another SW game, so it counts, right? :)

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Both parts of the Knights of the Old Republic series are excellent games and a third one is coming. It's loosely Starwars d20 based RPG. The engine resembles NWN's Aurora but is a bit different. Levels aren't made in any toolset but in 3D Studio Max (IIRC) and the whole game has a great cinematic feel. I wish someone would make a Star Wars RPG with a toolset... or keep making modules and/or mods on a good level.

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I've played a heap of SW games in my time; the latest being Republic: Commando, which I'm flying through at the moment. It's quite entertaining, although lacks the depth of a true Rainbow Six-style squad based shooter. Nice graphics and some very clever touches, though.

I've played Dark Forces 1 & II (or Jedi Knight, as it's also called ;) ) and they're excellent shooters, if ancient now. Jedi Outcast I never bought, because my old laptop would never have handled it. The strategy games I can't comment on because I don't like strategy games, but the best SW games are generally the least "Arcade"-style; those are generally the ones LucasArts spend the most time on, whereas the more arcade offerings are likely turned out super fast to make a quick buck. Episode 1 Racer and Rebel Assault are two of the most obvious transgressors here.

The old "space simulators", (particularly the original pair of X-Wing & TIE Fighter) are also excellent. I'd have them down as utter masterpieces, in fact, and well worth anyone's time to play and savour. They basically managed to set up the genre on the PC, stealing Wing Commander's thunder completely. Granted, the graphics are very ropey-looking now, but don't let it put you off. The gameplay of both has scarcely been bettered, and X-Wing does probably the best job of any game for capturing raw Star Wars atmosphere.

Lastly, I'll big-up KotOR, which is an absolutely superb game. BioWare's involvement shines through to make it a unique (other than it's sequel :p ) addition to the Star Wars pantheon, and utterly compelling. If you haven't played it, you must. As for KotOR II, I haven't played it. Yet. ;) One day I will, in spite of the "mixed" response from fans of the original. I just haven't decided whether to stick to the X-Box (the platform on which I played #1) or go for the PC version.

16. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I recommend Republic Commando, KOTOR 1&2, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. (And if you're nostalgic Dark Forces and Dark Forces 2: Jeid Knight)

Unfortunately I never got my TIE Fighter working. :(

17. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

What was the problem, Jesper? I've had absolutely no problem getting TF and X-Wing to work on Win2000 and XP using VDMSound.

Those are two of the best games of all time. Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are the only two FPSes I've ever finished legitimately; I found them very enjoyable.

LEGO Star Wars is also great.

Magpie, I'd go with the PC version of KOTORII since there's a project in progress to restore some cut content for it.

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Hunt down a copy of X-Wing Alliance and/or X-Wing Collector's edition. You'll be very glad you did, provided you have a joystick (though you'll probably have to do some fiddling to get the collector's edition to run).

19. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I prefer console games when it comes to FPS, I just enjoy them more...plus you don't have to worry about having all the right specs to play the game, so less hassle. I've only played Battlefront 2 on X-box and it was fun, its an enjoyable game so I'd recommend it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.