1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Square RPGs (and greetings)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by FenixStrife, Jul 26, 2001.

1. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] First of all, I would like to say hi to everyone that I know here at SP. Ive been on a great trip to africa but now Im back and I should be posting actively and chatting in the FAI again pretty soon. I like the new avatars a lot. Tal, theyre a great touch. And I think Dariens fits her PERFECTLY. Here's the real subject of this post:

I have recently been playing a lot of RPG's by squaresoft (chrono trigger, chrono cross and all the final fantasys the I can find in english). I have found that although they dont give you quite the freedom that BG and BG2 etc. give you, theyre storylines far surpass anything else Ive ever seen. The only thing that evens to begin to compare with them is Planescape: Torment. I was wondering how many people on the boards play these games and if anyone has found the same conclusions I have.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I have played someof them And have a friend who would live or die by them and your right the gameplay is more comfining but the stoies far surpass BG or IWD.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I've only played FF7 and loved the story. Also the cut screens were wonderful.

I really don't like the game play - with your characters hopping back and forth as they slash the enemy. That got real old after awhile.

However, they do develop great characters, the plot lines are never dull, and the marketing is top-notch.

5. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have played Chrono trigger to the end as well as zelda.. my first Rpg ever played :)

Love them!! Although i think that baldurs gate and others have much better graphics and such...

6. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Welcome back :)!

The only FF game I've played is FF6 and that rocked! :D

7. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

i can say that these are my favorite games, and in fact like them more than d&d, except for planescape: torment which is simply the best game ever, anyway i love all these games, and i love the graphics too.

8. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I've only played FF8 and I thought it was pretty cool. What I loved was the scenario and the actual way the story unfolded and the great characters. Also, another thing is that it seemed very simplified. I mean you didn't need to worry about which stats to raise or what spell you should memorise. It was plain fun. The graphics may be a little choppy but that's because they used the same code for both PC and PS version. And I didn't miss the speech a bit. Great game all in all.
    Btw, are the other games that you mentioned as good? I know FF7 is also fabulous but what about the others?

9. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

hi,
    first of all, stargazer, I have played every final fantasy game that I can find in english and I have loved each one. I have also played chrono trigger and chrono cross and I loved both of them too. so, to answer your question, theyre all good in my eyes.

On another note, to anyone who plays FF7, I was playing it again and I forgot about the magic pots at the end of the game. I forgot to do the W-item trick on elixers so now Im out, any ideas on where to get 2 elixers if Ive already done everything except the final battle and the weapons? I also have the same problem with sources (magic source etc.) if anyone can help me out I would be VERY gratefull.

10. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

My introduction to the wonderful world of RPG's was with Dragon Warrior 3 for Nintendo. Ever since then i've gone from all of the Zelda games to all of the final fantasy games( except 7) as well as chrono trigger and chrono cross. They are all very linear (unlike Baldur's gate). However, the story lines are very captivating.

11. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've played all the Final Fantasy games and almost every other Squaresoft game too. I have all the Final Fantasy games (even Tactics). I've even played the ones for Game Boy.

Chrono Trigger was awesome!

12. DemoGorgon Guest

ALL SQUARE GAMES RULE!!!! FF4-9 AND I WANNA TRY 10!! YEAH! FF7 is the best by far though

13. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I thought FF6 was best over all (characters, plot, music, gameplay, villian) But FF7 had the best story.

As for Chrono Trigger, Love it!

Anyone ever played Earthbound? It's the only RPG I have played with a Modern setting. It rocks!!

[This message has been edited by Frog (edited August 06, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.