1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Speaking of bgdungeon.com...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Strife, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I finished BG2 like last year and I hadn't visited bgdungeon.com for a long time because of that. When ToB came out I went to look for the site and found it gone.. do you people know what happened to it?

2. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Try entering their message boards...the explanation is there..... ;)

It's really sad that a good place like BGDungeon had to close because of some people ignorance....i think that message boards like BGDungeon or this one are for games discussion. If someone wants to discuss or say other things, no problem, only go to different places....that's my humble opinion... ;)

[This message has been edited by Mistyca (edited July 13, 2001).]

3. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I was rather sad to see it go,
    I spent a lot of time on those boards and was surpriced to see it go.
    It is a warning to all of us that likes this kinds of forums to not let it deteriorate but keep it civil and good humored.

bongo with a barfing brother on visit

(cant keep his liquor :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by bongo tjockskalle (edited July 13, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by bongo tjockskalle (edited July 13, 2001).]

4. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Urm.. it's closed, yeap I know that, but what you guys have said doesn't address what I asked: WHY did it happen? Details please :)

5. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

As i've said before, try entering their message boards and you'll find the answer.....
    Anyway it's mainly because they had a lot of success, so a lot of people started posting and they weren't able to control all they said. Unfortunately people don't understand always when it's time to stop wrinting things not connected with the place you're in. Maybe they had problems connected with some of these posts....

6. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Alright.. mind posting the URL to their forums?

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

8. Balthazar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi everyone!
    Yeah i was a member at the message boards until they were shut down because there were too many idiots posting in the wrong place.
    I think the moderators or who ever owned the place got pissed off so they shut the site down.
    It took me a a while to find Sorcerers place but in the end i found it. Sorcerers Place is the only good RPG gaming message board on the net. All the others didn't meet my expectations.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    How flattering. ;)
    Good start Balthazar.

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Balthazar?!

Are you anyhow related to Melkhior? ;)

btw, welcome!

11. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Balthazar, you couldn't be Danish by any chance could you?
    It might be an interesting fakt to know that Balthazar is the name of the dog of the Queen of Denmark...

12. Balthazar Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Why thanks Tal!

Melkhior, to my knowledge is a member of Sorcerer's Place, correct me f i am wrong.
    To my knowledge i have no relatives on these Message Boards. But who knows it's a big world out there.

But unless you are talking about the three wise men Gaspar, Melchior, and Balthazar.
    I am not a religious person so i would not know of how this story goes, i think they are brothers and that are destined to save the earth. They are actually three kings.
    In that case Melchior is my brother but otherwise i have never heard of him.

Sorry Vicsun but my father is from Slovenia and my mother is from the US.
    So that would make me half Slovenian and half American.

13. Solarus Gems: 1/31

I'm still trying to understand WHY BGDungeon.com shut down. I know the explination on the message boards about childish posts....but I don't believe that some childish posts could cause the demise of such a great site. There MUST be more to it than that....there has to be.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Geez, what was so great about it? Not wanting to trash it or anything, but to me it seemed like a playground for lamers (speaking about the boards), and the site had really poor and unupdated content.

What is it that you miss so much / can't find at SP?

P.S.

Balthazar, cool. I'm from Slovenia. ;)

15. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Welcome Balthazar!

The site was good i was a mebmber there but i went on a holiday and when i came back it was shut down.
    So i sent a letter of comlaint to them.
    I wouldn't believe at first but the moderator or the guy who owned the place sent me an e-mail and the cause was the childish behaviour.
    There were lots of members there and lots of posting was happening and there was a problem with the server it could not take that much information or something like that.

But now when you go to that page my server tells me that page does not exist anymore but one month ago you could and clearly it said there was a problem with behaviour and the serever was full.
    But bg dungeon still worked i have no idea why they shut that down but i do know why the message boards were shut down.

PS Sorcerer's Place is alot better! :D

16. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If I may say so, the site was quite good. I remember going there often in the BG days (heh, late for me, around march/april of 2000) for their walkthrough. However, I did visit their boards once. Simply put, they was attrocious. I saw nothing that was interesting, and the whole thing was completely cluttered and far too hard to read. If I remember right, most of the posts were so short, the quotes and signature pics took up more room that the posts. However, in later months, when Tal revamped this site last summer and started the message boards here, this site grew in quality and quantity by leaps and bounds over BGDungeon. By the time BG2 came out, this had become THE site for any info on BlackIsle/Bioware games. I miss BGDungeon, but only because it's sad when any good site has to close it's doors. I truly hope nothing like that ever befalls this site. Just remember that whenever you want to gripe about the moderators being too strict in the future. But still be nice and supportive to the newbies ;)

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited July 19, 2001).]

17. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

the content on the site was ok, but who remembers that guy wizard_iv? he came from there bragging about how much posts he has on that board and how much better it is, i just hope that most of the people were not like that, cause if they were i see why it shut down. if you ask me sorcerer's place is the ultimate site, best boards, great downloads section, good people posting all around, this is truly a magnificet place.

18. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yeah i remember that dude everybody use to hate his guts, they reckon he was a show off.

Btw a person called Warlock use to post on those boards, does anybody know if he is a member here?
    Well where ever he is i wish him luck, he is a great person!

19. Balthazar Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] O yes i remember Warlock, a great friend indeed.

Tal, really? It's good to know a fellow country mate is on these boards! :eek:

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Err... Actually I run this show. ;)
    SP and the boards are my pet project.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.