1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SP Happenings #53

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Jun 8, 2004.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Sorcerer)

My 1 month old Maxtor 160GB hard drive suddenly died last Thursday (it somehow spontaneously developed bad sectors, which prevented it to boot Windows XP), and I only got a replacement a few hours ago, so you'll excuse the lack of updates around here. I've checked my backlog of over 2150 mails (most of it junk, of course) that have piled up while I was without my computer, and I've replied to all the mails that have been sent to me. In case I missed yours, please send it again - with so much junk I just scanned over the mail headers and might have overlooked some valid mails.

I've decided to let some of the regular weekly features (screenshot and poll) run for another week, as it doesn't make much sense to go changing them now, and besides, I've got a lot of more important work to catch up on. On a positive note, I've read the last 3/4 of The Canterbury Tales during my exile, something which would probably have taken me a few months otherwise.

Due to my not expecting a brand new hard drive to fail, I only had about half of the important data backed up, so I had to pay $50 for data recovery off the confounded defective drive, too... And this was just to get the data off the system partition. Of the semi-important things, I lost all of my Neverwinter Nights savegames and characters, which didn't exactly make me happy. The thought that it could have been worse just doesn't produce much of a consolatory effect... *sigh*

2. NewsPro Gems: 30/31

(Originally posted by Whut happened?)

why do your hard drives die so often? this isnt the first time i read about trouble like this. maybe its time you change your brand or from where you buy them from or something. maybe buy smaller drives but more of them instead of one big giant one that kills everything that you had on it. you know maybe an 80gig hd for your pirated games and mp3s another 60gig for your applications another 80gig for web site stuff and a 40gig for your OS. break it down some (do not partition!) oh and i consoladate you. there-there.

3. NewsPro Gems: 30/31

(Originally posted by Sorcerer)

Uh, this is the first time ever one of my hard drives died. So you obviously didn't read about it happening here before. I bought a Maxtor just because I've been using them for years without any problems. I already have one 60GB Maxtor, but it's practically full. I bought this 160GB drive to last me a few years, obviously... When a full install of NWN and expansions is nearly 5GB, and with many modern games taking a few GB each for a full install, 160GB is not really overplanning much.

I don't pirate any games either... I just wait for the price to drop and then buy them. And by the time that happens, the official patches for most of them are out, at least, so I can play the games without a gazillion bugs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.