1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorcerer's Place & Newegg.com

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've recently teamed up with Newegg.com to bring you all another free way of supporting Sorcerer's Place. You can find a link to Newegg at the top of every BoM page now, as the first affiliated link listed. Eventually I'll update the rest of SP to include the link as well.

Every purchase you make by using the Newegg.com link above brings Sorcerer's Place a 1-2% commission. Which, admittedly, is very little, but if at least a few of you decide to use it regularly, we'll get a few bucks from that address.

For those of you scratching your heads, wondering what Newegg is, here's a short description:

Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Southern California, Newegg.com is one of the premier online computer, consumer electronics, and communications product superstores online today. Among the top 400 most-visited websites in the U.S., and serving more than 8+ million customers, Newegg.com features a huge product catalog of IT and CE brands, which allow consumers the ability to shop from amongst the widest product selection in the industry.

As Kitrax will tell you, Newegg is pretty much the default online shopping location for computer components (and more) in the US, so I'm proud to be affiliated with them and I hope that the relation will prove beneficial.

The only downside is that Newegg does not ship internationally, so only our American members will be able to shop there.

Incidentally, when one of you buys anything via that link, please let me know so that I can check if it's registered properly. ;)

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, depending on the costs of shipping, I supposed that European members can buy through Newegg and ship to one of us and we'll send it on to them. I've done that with guitar parts and miscellaneous equipment in the past.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I wouldn't recommend that in most cases... I don't know how much computer hardware would survive a mail trip overseas undamaged.

4. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Cool! I like Newegg. I'll make sure to use the link when I buy from them.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Great, please let me know when you do.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I don't live in the US, but one of my good friends does, and he buys almost all his electronics from Newegg. I'll certainly tell him about this and find some, ah, persuasive argument to make him use the link :)

7. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I definitely will.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] All our Canadian members can now shop from the Canadian branch of Newegg by using the Newegg.ca link on top of every board page!

9. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thinking about shipping overseas...
    I was just telling Rob about it being a shame that we can't use the link but he said that he thinks the US use a lower voltage than we do for their computers.
    Ah well...

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe all modern switching power supplies are universal (i.e. they work with a wide range of input AC voltages).

11. Taluntain

Media:
    My last PSU had a 110/220 switch... but the one I took out a few months ago doesn't. The red label next to the socket says 220VAC, but on the back of it is another label listing the PSU specs, but that one lists it as 110/220VAC... so I'm not really sure how that works.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The modern switch-mode power supplies don't typically have a large transformer connected to the mains that depends on input voltage and frequency. The mains power is directly rectified and then various switch-mode regulators step down the voltage to the DC values wanted. These regulators can be (and are) designed to work on the various world-wide mains power standards without needing a physical switch to select transformer windings.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Great news! Although I'm no longer buying my entire PC from Newegg due to outrageous shipping and handling fees, I was still planning on getting some of the components from them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.