1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorcerer Spell Pick

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Deathmage, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    What Level 4 spell should I take for my Human, 20-Charisma Sorcerer?

Really stuck on this one...we're currently at the Goblin Fortress (the skirmish outside it. The sorcerer levels up in mid-fight.)

So, suggestions? I'm looking for either spells that hurts one target a lot (use on bosses) or area-effect spells for goons. I'm leaving the supportive spells for my bard.

Or maybe I should take Spirit Armor? Hmm...

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

This is your first level 4 pick I take it?

Tricky.

Solo: Stoneskin or improved invisibility are the obvious choices.

In a party, well, hmm, I think I still took those two first. There really isn't much to bombard the enemy with at that level. Too early to get much damage out of Mordenkainen's Force missiles, so that pick is wasted for now. The fireshields (take red first if you plan on both, as cold protection / fire damage will serve you best for now), won't last very long, but are still decent options. The summons simply don't last long enough to be of much use to you yet. There is the ice storm, vitriolic sphere or wall of fire, which for attack purposes you might try. Not sure how effective they are though. I assume your bard has already got Emotion Hope as a level 3 pick, so you don't want to double up those.

Call me traditionalist, but I'd use level 4 as a support level for sorcerers. Stoneskin, improved invisibilty, mallison, Fireshields Red / Blue, and of course when we can use them for some damage - M's Force Missiles.

There is a good reason not to take Otiluke's Resilient Sphere for now. No spoilers, but unless you plan to use it on multiple enemies don't use up a spell pick on this.

3. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I picked Blood Rage...is that a good idea?

Oh, and is Boiling Blood good?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I would say neither, considering I never used them. Beltyn's Burning Blood (I presume this is what you mean) is especially useless because the one you set on fire contaminates with fire every character of yours he/she gets close to.

5. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Blood rage is basically a berserker rage cast on a single allied creature.

Lots of drawbacks with this, but may get you out of a tight spot I suppose.

Not my spell of choice, but play your party your way not mine! That's the whole rpg thing.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I had two who made a deadly combo as well as supplied loads of buffs for everyone (lev 16):

#1 Scion of Storms, Spirit of Flame, SF Evocation 2, Spell Penetration 1, Subvocal Casting

1: Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Shield, Identify, Burning Hands
    2: Aganazzar's Scorcher, Gedlee's Electric Loop, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm, Eagle's Splendour, Melf's Acid Arrow
    3: Fireball, Lance of Disruption, Flame Arrow, Lightning Bolt
    4: Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, Stoneskin, Wall of Fire, Improved Invisibility
    5: Cone of Cold, Sunfire, Protection from Electricity, Dismissal
    6: Chain Lightning, Planar Binding: Fire Elemental, Acid Storm
    7: Mordenkainen's Sword, Delayed Blast Fireball
    8: Power Word: Blind

#2 SF Enchantment 2, SF Transmutation 2, Spell Penetration 2, Subvocal Casting

1: Sleep, Chromatic Orb, Burning Hands, Shield, Magic Missile
    2: Blindness, Web, Bull's Strength, Knock, See Invisibility
    3: Fireball, Haste, Slow, Dispel Magic
    4: Confusion, Stoneskin, Improved Invisibility, Emotion: Hope
    5: Chaos, Feeblemind, Cloudkill, Protection from Acid
    6: Disintegrate, Mass Haste, Acid Fog
    7: Mordenkainen's Sword, Suffocate
    8: Symbol of Hopelesness

7. willworker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I find every mind effecting enchantment to be useful, 9especially with the sorcerers many castings) but improved invisibility, stonskin, and force missles are the only ones I've ever bothered casting.

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've heard that Improved Invisibility is overpowered, is this true? And why?

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You can't cast non-area spells on invisible creatures even if you see the circle (which isn't that probable). You're also harder to hit in combat. From my experience, invisible creatures are best attacked in melee with all six chars including mages. The sooner they die the better. With my two sorcs I was able to have both stoneskin and II (same spell level, that hurts) on all six chars.

10. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Burning Blood? That's a good spell. Of course, it spread like wild fire but my fighters seldom engage in close combat and my undead are bloodless, so it is a pretty fun spell to play.

Improved Invisibility was overpowered before patch 2.01. So if you have patched your game, it is ok. Overpowered in the sense that once you cast Improved Insvisibility, monster cannot see you even if you attacked them. Improved Invisibility after the v2.01 still works well. After an invisibled character actioned, he/she cannot be target by ranged attack and melee attack will sometime miss.

My pick in order
    improved invisibility - stoneskin - malison - M-force missle - burning blood.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.