1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Something about Hell

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by shadow_thief, Aug 8, 2001.

1. shadow_thief Guest

Since I'm in the chatroom, we were talking about hell and that reminded me of this:

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid term. The answer was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, which is why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question:

Is Hell exothermic (giving off heat) or endothermic (absorbing heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law, (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different
    religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions
    state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because
    Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in
    Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls
    are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
    enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase
    of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Teresa
    Banyan during my Freshman year, that "...it will be a cold day in Hell
    before I sleep with you", and take into account the fact that I still
    have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then, #2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.

The student received the only "A" given.

2. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] *ROTFLMAO*
    I once spent two years of my life on chemistry on the Technical University of Vienna but i unfortunately never met a lass called Theresa. That's maybe the reason why I never get an 'A'. :D

3. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Rotfl !
    :d

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] ROTFLMAO. That must be funniest thing I've seen in a while. "A" material indeed.

5. shadow_thief Guest

Well, I don't fully understand, there is that 1% that hasn't been discovered in my brain, but all the same I thought it was funny. Last month I went to my Grandma's and she gave the sheet but I left it there. I got an email on it from my aunt instead when I came back a week later...You can also see this on pg.3 of 'Religion Curiosity'.

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, for an answer that creative, that guy honestly deserved an A. Though you can think of it this way. If he got an A, he probably deserved it because anyone who has that much time left over on a college science test to come up with such a creative answer obviously either knows nothing or really has his act together. Since he got an A, I'd assume the secong to be true. Still, the best answer I've seen on a science exam in a long time :D

7. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I havent a clue and at the moment I have't the brain power to come up with an answer. (or the time or inclintation.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.