1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Some Specs for a Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by 8people, Aug 22, 2009.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I know 'Gaming Laptop' is a bit of an oxymoron :p

I need a new laptop, my old one has given up the ghost and at best it ran things on minimum graphics.

I need the laptop for university primarily - but that also means I need it to run some recent games on it as well. If someone could give me some ballpark specs to work with I'd be grateful.

I don't know what the price limit is yet though, my step-father is getting it through work though so should get discounts.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...for gaming laptops, you usually want a fairly large screen, but that's counterproductive for school. Lugging around a 17" laptop isn't fun...trust me, I go to school with several people that have the HP HDX 17" laptop, and all they do is b*** about how big/heavy it is. But that's your decision...

From the big guys, I'd recommend the Dell Studio XPS series or the HP dv7t series.

What you want in either of those systems is:
    • CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU that starts with a "P". The "T" series may be faster, but they're hotter and drain your battery faster. Shoot for the higest number you can afford...like a P8800.
    • RAM - Shoot for 6GB...but settle for a minimum of 4GB if there's a deal or if 6GB is way too expensive (like HP).
    • Videocard - ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB or an Nvidia GeForce GT 130M 1GB or better...do *not* get integrated graphics! :nono:
    • OS - Wait as long as you possible can to get Windows 7 either pre-installed, or a coupon to upgrade for free...

BTW, what's your budget?

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks, Kit, always value your input :)

I don't have a budget yet, my mother was supposed to get in touch. No idea if she's testing me or actually something has happened at home :rolleyes:

Every time I get a new computer and my parents are involved they always try and get integrated graphics cards :shake: Not going to happen this time! Will see about the 6gb, may be out the price range though :bad:

Not sure if waiting for Windows 7 will work too well, the laptop is meant to be a birthday present from my parents and grandparents but am hoping for it for September, will have to see! :wave:

4. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

ive noticed people are already starting ti give away free coupons for windows 7 which is good.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Since July.

Really pay attention to the graphics card as Kitrax said. Or else it is just a typewriter/internetbrowser.

Post the typenumber here isfpossible.

6. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Looking at the Dell series you mentioned, Kit, they only offer 512mb graphics cards.

Haven't heard good reviews on HPs lately either, really. A fair few people at uni and in halls had trouble with them, whether they were student throw offs though, I have no idea ;)

Merlanni, not entirely sure what you mean by posting the type number.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I've noticed people's opinions about HP laptop varying wildly between North American and the Europe. Everyone I knew in the UK who had an HP cursed and swore never to get another one, while I don't know anyone here or in the US who isn't happy with an HP purchase. Might be better to stay away from them if the UK only gets the cheap quality ones.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I had no problems with my 3 year old HP laptop (dv6000). However, I rarely played games on it until it became an Ubuntu machine, then it was just fine for playing Starcraft and BG (but what isn't.)

9. Kitrax

Media:
    @Ziad - you know, I'm starting to think that's the case. Sounds to me that Europeans are getting shafted...the fact that 8 can only find a 512MB card (while I easily found 1GB cards on both HP's and Dell's sites) is proof of this.

Sounds like you're better off having someone in the US buy it for you and then ship it. I'd gladly do it for you, but to ensure proper handling, I'd need round trip airfare and a place to crash for a week or so... :p

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    When you select certain laptop it comes with a typenumber. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220559

With that number we, or yourself, can search for reviews or specification if there is some doubt. The laptop posted is just an random example. We can advise as soon as we know the budget and what size you want.

Any new pc now comes with the windows 7 upgrade.

HP gets burned here also. A lot of my co workers got an HP trough work. Non were happy.

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

On this note, is there any disadvantages of getting a computer from the US? Obviously there is a problem if something goes wrong - as it'll become difficult to send it in for replacement. But otherwise?

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Depending on who you bought it from and what kind of warranty you got there may not be a problem with replacement. If the shop has partners in NZ and the warranty covers them too then handing in your laptop to them would be the same as handing it in to the original shop.

13. Kitrax

Media:
    I'm not 100% on this, but I think the DVD drive will be set as Region 1...which might cause issues down the line....

14. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

most times over here the drive isn't locked to a region and you can change it a certain number of times in windows

15. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Sorry to steal your thread like this 8people.

What I'm currently thinking about, for a similar purpose as 8people it seems, is this:

Sony Viao VGN-FW490 CTO
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53GHz)
    16.4" widescreen with XBRITE-ECO™ LCD technology (1600x900)
    4GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD4650 graphics card with 1GB vRAM
    320GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [5400 rpm]
    $1139.99

For similar set up, Dell and HP were quoting me at $300 extra.

Current concerns are:
    -> Would 7200rpm hard disk be considerably better than 5400?
    -> For an extra $100 the screen size can be increased to 1920x1080. I don't see the point though... given that it's still 16.4'
    -> The Sony warranty doesn't cover anything once it leaves the US. Is this a big concern, or a small enough risk that it's not worht worrying about?

For same same model with lesser specs in New Zealand costs about 50% extra, after postage, so it's quite a hefty savings.

16. Kitrax

Media:
    A 7200RPM HDD is going to run hotter and drain your battery a lot faster. Stick with 5400RPM...or better yet, get a SSD. :money:

The resolution is up to you. The 1920x1080 would look better on a bigger screen...but better resolution is always a good thing.

I've never owned a Sony (and to be honest, I never will)...so I don't know how cheaply they're made. The warranty is up to you. If Dell will honor the warranty outside of the US, it may very well be worth the extra cost.

17. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Currently looking at just sticking to 512MB graphics card - depressingly I'll probably be using the system to catch up on games I've missed out on rather than latest releases. I have friends with monstrous systems if it becomes neccessary for me to play the latest things.

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Now I see. You CAN'T do with a netbook.

19. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

My very well researched opinion is AVOID SONY AND HP LIKE THE PLAGUE.

I have TRAUMA from trying to cleanse the crapware / repair them / trying to install a reasonable OS on the... ... .

20. Kitrax

Media:
    The PC Decrapifier is a great tool for new system crapware removal.

I used it on my cousin's new Dell Studio 1555 just last week. BTW, that's a zippy little laptop. It's not going to be used for gaming, so it doesn't have a descrete graphics card...but it's still a sweet system. I can't wait to put Win7on it for them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.