1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Some MotB questions.

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by spetznaz, Jan 28, 2008.

1. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I tried MotB with my Cleric/Warpriest, but to be honest I tired pretty quick due to the difficulty to hit and the soul eating. In the first temple in the Shadow Plane, I actually put everyone on auto attack and went and made coffee since I couldn't hit :coffee2: (Hah, finally I could add that smiley). It's not that I'm bad at the game; I always play on difficult, they just didn't hit.

So, here we go: are the concealed, almost unhittable enemies consistent throughout the game?

Is there a smart way to keep the soul bar at a healthy level (i sure couldn't figure out a way :( ) ?

I'm playing a Drow Fighter 4 / Warlock X. Are Epic Warlocks good enough for a fun experience, or should I add some more Fighter leveles or another class for MotB?

I'm not done with the original game yet, and I don't want any spoilers for MotB! ;)

Cheers.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are a few enemies that have concealment which makes it more difficult to hit since every hit has a chance of missing due to the concealment. Most of the time it's a pretty minor amount (like 10%), but there is one monster that has a high concealment and regeneration; it's completely optional though.

To keep your spirit bar full, make sure you eat one spirit a day (or per rest really) and eat it as a killing blow (i.e. only eat it when the monster is at "nearly dead").

3. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

many cretuires in MOTB have 50% concealment, including but not limited to telthor spirits and incorporeal undead. melee types (or characters that are dependant on a tohit roll) will have a really hard time in this game. blind fight feat is a must have.

that would depend on your alignment (although i'm pretty sure they removed alignment changes with the latest patch).

basically you need to make sure your craving meter is as low as possible, this can be done by using suppress ability, but only once per rest, and doesn't recover much soul

your craving basically dictates how much soul you lose every game hour and every rest. higher craving means you lose more and need to feed more often, which is obviously bad.

the easiest way to recover soul is if you are good or neutral aligned, because you receive eternal rest ability, which allows you to feed on undead and it doesn't add to your craving. the other ability is devour spirit, which can be used once per day without craving increase.

now, if you are evil things start to stink, because you don't get eternal rest, which means it's harder to keep craving low. later on you do get devour soul , which allows you to steal souls from humanoids (and they give a nice amount each kill). or you can go on a rampage and maximize your craving meter and steal everyones soul.

i've finished motb with a pure drow warlock, and all i can say they stink until they reach level 21. that's when they get extra eldritch damage and eldritch master. it's pretty much STEAMROLLERLAND after that, but make sure you have eldritch cone or doom because there is a bunch of 50% concealed creatures, which means your touch based eldritch attacks (like chain) will often fail. i wouldn't bother with more than 1 level of fighter (for the feats), but even that's just another obstacle to your reaching level 21...

4. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

I second what Blackthorne TA and Master Leo has written.

However Master Leo isn't correct when he tells you that Suppress doesn't recover much soul. It does, dependant on the circumstances. If you use Suppress when there is telthors, elementals, and elemental summons around, you get bonus soul energy.

So a good strategy would be to summon an elemental where there is spirits around, and use Suppress, since you get more bonus energy, the more spirits and elementals there is.

If you can't summon elementals, you will meet a couple of companions who can.

Also, Suppress will reduce your craving level.

And theres is certain locations where your Suppress, Eternal Rest and Devour Spirit abilities is reset, allowing you I.E. to use Suppress more than once per day.

The alignment changes is mostly removed with the last patch, except for Eternal Rest which gives you +2 point to Good every time you use it. Since you dont get the Eternal Rest ability if you're Evil, it's not a problem. If you're True Neutral however....

I've seen quite some people posting on the official forums that they were having a blast playing an evil bastard with maximum craving, so that's apparently not a big problem either.

5. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

it's very rare to have suppress recover more than 20 pts of soul, whereas a humanoid or undead creature (like death knights in DGW level 1) can easily give you 50 or more

on a side note, the healing ability also reduces craving

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Re Eldritch Doom:

Is it correct that it is always centered on the casting Warlock? Or did I encounter a bug?

7. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm Chaotic Evil, started out as Neutral Evil but you know .. ;)

I wanted a melee capable Warlock so I picked the four levels of Fighter to get Cleave and some other neat feats. I'm having a good time atm in the OC and I can't agree that Warlocks sucks until 21, since I'm playing on difficult and things are going smoothly.

Guess I'll go on a devouring rampage in MotB then.

8. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If that's happening, it's a bug. It's just an area effect spell to all intents and purposes and can be used up to the same distance as your eldritch blast.

9. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

doom is just an eldritch shape, it's similar to aoe spells like fireball or vitriolic sphere, only shorter range, and it doesn't require to hit rolls to make a contact (which means it can hit concealed creatures easily, but can hurt party members and can't do critical hits)

also, if you play a warlock i STRONGLY recommend player1's spellfixes compilation, because warlock spells are among the most buggy in the game:
    http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Scripts.Detail&id=85

10. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Can't say I've come across any myself, and I'm on my second run-through with a warlock.

11. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

I'm just on my way to Ammon Jerro's haven, and I can't say I've suffered from any bugs. I couldn't find any "major" bugs in the Warlock invocations.

List of fixes:

Invocation fixes

- Fixed Brimstone Blast, so flame visual won't be dispelled anymore
    - Fixed Frightful Blast, so it can be properly dispelled (no leftover effects anymore)
    - Fixed an issue with using same Eldritch Blast essence on already affected target, when succeeding the save would remove first effect
    - Fixed Eldritch Blast touch attack, so creatures immune to critical hits won't get doubled damage on criticals
    - Fixed Eldritch Blast visuals, so that ray effect gets shown even for missed or resisted targets (like it's done with most other ray spells)
    -Several fixes to Eldritch Chain:
    * it will not arc to secondary targets when primary one was missed
    * when it arcs, it won't check first secondary target with ranged attack roll twice
    *secondary targets will get doubled damage on criticals
    - Fixed Eldritch Cone, so it would not sometimes injure the caster on Hardcore difficulty
    - Several fixes to Chilling Tentacles:
    * tweaked damage and paralytic effects of tentacles to happen sooner (otherwise it could happen to get affected by tentacles after already exiting the area)
    * implemented auto-hit on natural roll of 20 and auto-miss on natural roll of 1
    - Fixed Curse of Despair, so that stat penalty mimics Bestow Curse spell (-3, not -2 to all attributes). Also, attack penalty on successful save will last properly for 10 rounds and won't be permanent
    - Fixed area dispel checks for Devour Magic and Voracious Dispelling (previously, area dispel almost never worked)
    - Fixed Otherworldly Whispers, so it would not behave like hostile invocation (rolling initiative, putting character into combat stance, etc...)
    - Several fixes to Tenacious Plague:
    * prevented stacking on already affected targets
    * fixed a bug, when swarm would sometimes ignore valid targets
    * dispelling won't remove just visuals, but continuous damage too
    * you won't get a miss, if to-hit roll is equal to enemy AC
    * implemented auto-hit on natural roll of 20 and auto-miss on natural roll of 1

Although there are some bugs, it's not unplayable. I guess it couldn't hurt though :)

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Cash is aplenty. Just buy tons of healing kits and you're set. At least if you get to use them. If everyone's using a healing kit, there's no one to land blows. I don't like the scripted fights, which fire off when you get sufficiently surrounded. They're just too frequent to avoid feeling repetitive.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.