1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Soloing monk

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Well I've never thought that making the game with a single character could be so easy... But now I know it... I recommend to all the players to try the game with that monk:
    Deep Gnom
    Monk of Old Order
    Lawful Neutral

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, I've tried that character. Just put wisdom and dexterity to 20 and - tada - your AC is 24 (+5 dex, +5 wis, +4 dodge) at first level. Spell resistance is also nice.

Only poor charisma (and intelligence) are drawbacks - you get only few skill points and speaking will be more difficult.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Soloing any character can be easy at first. They go up levels so fast, by chapter 3 they are unstopable.
    Maybe in later chapters they might not be so good, I've still to find that out...

4. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

My strength at the end was 23 with all the enhancing items, and 24 dexterity, and 23 Constitution, and 25 Wisdom, and...*sighs* :)

5. Archdruid_Iselore Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] did you multiclass ur monks?

6. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

And why should I? A friend told me to try to put it a few fighter levels but I refused and made the game with only a monk-class chr... :) I mean you can get everything you need with a monk - I don't need a fighter...

7. notforyou Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

who said multiclass into fighter? try to sorcerer. the most powerful (but not most fun) char for me was monk/sor 20/10, really untouchable.
    what are the advantages of progressing a monk beyond 20 anyway, except +2 to ac at 30 and a little improvemant on attack rolls?

8. Ashley the Drow Gems: 1/31

So... it's possible to play IWD2 with just one character?? And can it be any race, or does the Deep Gnome work the best for this?

-ponders-

9. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I've just started to solo with a sorcerer (moon elf) he's level 12 and I've just got to the ork fortress. I just go around with improved invisibility all the time thats gained me 414 kills...go me :D !
    Anyway monks are cool though AC 25 is the most I got, but I cheated on that game so I stopped but know I'm playing by the rules... :)

@ Eran I resent your comment about sorcerers not being "Fun" they rock so there :shame:

10. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Actually I prefer 21/9, because of the Ki Strike which equals at +4 level weapon... Ful time monk is also something very tough...

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Sorcerers and, well any spell casters, are great fun when they are at higher levels. Just been able to walk into a room, throw off a couple of spells and there's no one left standing, is so much fun.

12. Ashley the Drow Gems: 1/31

Maybe its just me, but I used Dale Keeper 2, the modify my three girls for the game... A cleric of Lathander, a sorcerer/bard, and a Monk of the Old Order/rogue. All three at various levels (below four). All three started out at level 2. Maybe its me, but I still found the game nerve-racking and exciting, even with using the cheat-program known as Dale Keeper 2...

As for the cheatconsole itself, I only used three codes, explorearea - numerous times, but only between distant places, treated it like a teleport spell heh. I used the addspell code to give my bard a few spells (5), and the addmoney spell to give them 200gp.

I also outfitted them with some nifty arcane weapons and protection, its a really blast to watch fire arrows and frost arrows decimate goblins and orcs hehe.

I also used the walkthrough for the Prologue, played it three times, wanted to play out the quests correctly the fourth time, and I used the walkthrough for the Ford, played it twice... kept getting attacked by the two sets of orcs (ambush and the house-sitters).

Like I said before, despite using cheat-codes and Dale Keeper Im still having a riot with this game... now if we could just get some mod-x-packs... like a goblin/orc hunting party, where you wander through the forest and rescue nature from the beasties... I might try undead targos sometime hehe. :D

13. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I played through with a half-orc barbarian and his strenght got up to 33 in the end!

14. PseudoDragon Gems: 1/31

I just made my first solo character.

but i was alittle annoyed at the various races. i wanted something new..something interesting..
    so....i did the natural thing

i used dalekeeper2 and made me a HalfCelestial Human Sorc(1)Monk(x) and boy oh boy

Its quite amusing to play (with only a few minor snags)

For one the HalfCelestial gains spell abilities as he levels up (so i have to add the spells with DK2 when it becomes relavent)

right now he is level 12 and kicking bootay

If your interested here is the things i changed on him.

AC+1 (they get +1 natural ac)
    +4str,+2dex,+2int,+4wis,+4cha
    Immune to Acid,cold,disease,electricity
    (i couldent alter the disease unfortunately)
    (but the immunitys i just set them to 100 in resist)
    And if the char has over 8 wis he gains the spells as follows (innate when possible, or just use clerics .. dont know how to make my own innate spells :(
    LEVEL SPELL
    1-2 Protection from evil 3/day
    Bless 1/day
    3-4 Aid1/day,protection from
    evil +1/day
    5-6 Cure Serious Wounds 1/day
    Neutralize Poison 1/day
    7-8 Holy Smite 1/day
    Remove disease 1/day
    9-10 Dismissal 1/day
    11-12 Holy Word 1/day
    13-14 Holy Aura 3/day
    15-16 Symbol 1/day
    17-18 Summon Monster IX 1/day
    19+ Ressurection1/day OR
    Heal 1/day think its more fun

my char being level 12 is having tons of fun.
    thinking of making a Halfdragon Fighter perhaps. or similar. (they should make a patch With other species than the standard ones so i wouldent have to use DK2 :p

any comments? or hints how to alter Innate powers to make bless,aid etc etc into innate and not cleric spells..would be pleased to hear bout that

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If someone is playing a highly charismatic monk, then paladin levels might come useful for the saves. Like the monk didn't already have skyhigh ones. Fighter levels make no point. Neither do ranger levels. Nor anything.

Well, maybe cleric or druid multi, but it's not like just several levels. More like even split. Both classes would make a great use of wisdom. In fact, any Lawful Neutral druid had best go for great DEX (which doesn't go with armour) and great WIS (for obvious reasons) and a monk level (plus one ranger level if we're at it ;) ).

16. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    From what i've seen a monk is certainly one of the best classes to solo in. I was wondering, though, has anybody soloed the game in HOF mode. Getting through with a party was really tough, so I don't know whether it would be possible solo.

17. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Would it be worth it to give my cleric and druid 1 monk level (even though they only have 10 DEX) for the ability to turn WIS modifier to add on to AC???
    As even without DEX they will get a +8 to AC by the end, from WIS not to mention items. Which should be enough to beat any armor as from where i am up to the armor looks as bad as the amount of scrolls.

Or does the armor get much better??

[ April 05, 2004, 12:10: Message edited by: Goon66 ]

18. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] There's a patch out there that gives you damage resistances with heavy armors (like slashing 5/-), because as you correctly analysed: Heavy armors just aren't worth it in HoF!

19. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    The armours do get a little better in HOF mode. By the time you reach the underdark you can buy some pretty improved equiptment. Can't say if it's better than a monks natural ac though.

20. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

What patch is it?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.