1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solaufein in Drizzt novels?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by casey, Nov 14, 2003.

1. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I saw a post somewhere in the ToB Forum about Solaufein been in some Drizzt book and was wondering about something.
    If Sola is in the famous drow ranger's series does ths mean that the Bhaal saga is set before the Drizzt story, or at least Sola's involvement in it?
    If so than that would make since before (CHARNAME) comes and kills the matron mother to steal the dragon eggs and escape, and all that, :) Sola is hiding amoung his own kind trying to survive by blending in.

[ November 19, 2003, 21:01: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think that someone got him confused with
    Drizzt's father Zaknafein. I read all the dark elf books and never have I encountered the name Solofein.

3. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well, I have still three to do, but I must agree with Apeman.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    No Solaufein in the books :(

I am, however, convinced that he's related to Zaknafein somehow.... *shrug* But hthat's just my intrepetation of things.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Somehow Ara I doubt it. The people who designed it all probably wouldn't think to put in such an obscure relation which would never come out.

6. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31

Well, they did it. Which was Viconia's house? DeVir? By a chance?

And there were plenty of differences in Salvatore's and Viconia's version...

7. Arabwel

Media:
    Yep, DeVir...

There are differences, but I like to put them into the whole "different perspectives" thing, I think...

And yeah, I know it isnä't an official thing, the Solaufein/Zaknafein thing... It's just the similarity in names and disposition.

Wonder if it's suppsed to be an easter egg?

*makes a solemn promise to make these two related if she ever gets the chance to write a FR book*

8. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31

Salvatore has glitches like this even in his own books.

In Icewind Dale trilogy he had wrote Drizzt had lived in Underdark for more or less two centuries and in The Dark Elf trilogy only gave him some fifty years...

9. Arabwel

Media:
    Not to mention Zak'nafein and Rai'gy... can't he just stick on one name? :rolleyes:

10. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Drizzt was originally intended to be a sidekick only to Wulfgar. This quickly changed however, even within the very first novel you can see the perspective shifting. I haven't read the later ones yet, but I believe the discordancies between the IWD trilogy and the prequel is because he had decided that now that his idea for the character had changed, he did not want it tied down to his previous inconsequential (tring telling us fans that) details, but that he could create the person almost from scratch, without limitations.

Apparently the texts were altered, and the changes implemented in later editions- such as how he obtained Guenhwyvar. I have only read those Trilogies in single-volume editions, so these changes have allready taken place (except the spelling of Zaknafein and the time in the Underdark, these were still different, but Guenhwyvar was the same as in the Dark Elf Trilogy, so I do assume I read the latest versions). As to the other related details, I doubt Soulafein and Zaknafein are truly related. The name of DeVir for Viconia may have been accidental (or subconcious substituion of a familiar name), or it may have been a deliberate plant by Black Isle/Bioware -they were noted for doing this often in another thread on literary references within their games.

On a side-note; could anyone please tell me the other changes and disrepencies within the first books (such as the original story of Guenhwyvar), as I am very curious as to what the character was orginally intended to be as compared to what he grew into - though I do not doubt that the changes are for the better, I am merely curious.

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Just a theory to throw out there about Viconia's involvement in the Drizzt saga. Since Salvatore never actually explained 'why' DeVir was 'unfavoured' Viconia poses to be the reason.

SPOILER
    She was of house DeVir, Viconia greatly angered the Spider Queen and yet her house did not sacrifice her to appease the goddess. Not only Viconia but her brother angered the Spider Queen also at the same time by preventing Viconia from being sacrificed. Even though her brother was punished the reason for his punishment wasn't settled, Viconia was still on the lose.

It appears Viconia is alot older than Drizzt and was a cause for one of the happenings in the Dark Elf Drilogy.

12. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31

1) In The Underdark ADD setting (And I think it was written by Salvatore!!!!) is stated that house DeVir fell out of Lollth's favor, because Matron Mother Ginafae caused death of a big number of Drow because of some selfish goal.

2) I am not sure, but there might be some mistakes in the timing of these events.
    Well, it seems Viccy emerged from the Underdark only shortly before she met our BG heroes. And then they met Drizzt, and he had his scimitars and chain, so it has to be at least six years after his coming on surface. And that was in his forties or fifties. And it really doesn't look like Viconia spent half a century out of Menzoberranzan. She was level 2, after all. :confused:

13. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well according the DE trilogy the Time of Troubles occured before the battle of Mithril hall. Your PC would begin adventuring anywhere from a 20-100 years after that.

14. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'd say no more than 18. It did say that you grew up with Imoen, didn't it?

Therefore the game is full of little holes. The point of fantasy is to extend your belief. It's a very, very large world and you must expect there to be some inconsistancies.

And I'm not for thinking that Soloufein and Zaknafein are related. -fein is a common name ending among elves and drow alike, and while Menzoberranzan is probably not too far from Ust Natha, seeing as it isn't far from Ched Nasad and Ched Nasad is mentioned.

Besides, goodly drow aren't that uncommon. Just read the War of the Spider Queen.

15. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31

To the age of Imoen and CHARNAME...

Bhaal could have spawned them a while before he got killed, so the gap between time of troubles and BG could be as small as for example five years.

Anyway, does anybody know the date of Time of truobles? It should be in Forgotten realms campaign setting, which I sadly do not posses. Then we can see how much they messed it with Viconia. Well and when took place BG?

16. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

With the age thing I don't understand how elves can be the same age as Imoen, I read somewhere that the average Elf maturity age was 100.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.