1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Slow and unreliable wireless network...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Barmy Army, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What could be causing this kind of thing to happen (information straight out of System Log in router settings)...

DSL out of sync
    DSL in Sync
    DSL out of sync
    DSL Carrier is down
    DSL in Sync
    DSL Carrier is up
    PPPD Terminated Through Signal
    Connection terminated.
    pppd 2.4.1 started by Admin, uid 0
    Default Asymmetric MTU for ppp0 1500
    Connect: ppp0 {--}
    Couldn't increase MTU to 32725
    DSL out of sync
    DSL in Sync
    DSL out of sync
    DSL in Sync
    DSL out of sync
    DSL in Sync

Etc. etc.... lots of out of sync going on and loads of disconnections. I'm also getting quite a slow connection speed compared to how it used to be.
    I've checked if univited users are tapping into my network, and it doesn't appear that's happening (I also just put a WPA encryption pass on it - just in case)

Any ideas guys? And let's do this is in the proepr IT support way and start with the simpler, more basic iseas and solutions first, then work your way up ;) .

Thanks

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It sounds like this router is your DSL modem as well right? I would say either your modem is going bad, or your DSL connection is poor.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's right BTA, it's the modem also. If the DSL connection is poor, is that something I can give my ISP some earache about, or will it be more to do with my set-up do you think?

Thanks for your help.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If the connection is poor, then yes, that is a problem for your ISP. They should also be able to tell you if it's the modem.

You haven't suddenly changed any of the wiring have you? If not then I doubt it's your problem.

How long have you had it? My cable modem went out after maybe 2 years of constant use.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    When was the last time you rebooted the modem/router? Unplug the power and wait about 30 seconds to a minute, and then plug the power back in.

That solves modem issues about 50% of the time when the problem lies on your side of the DSL line. :thumb: :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.