1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Single hardest combat ever

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Blog, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Inspired by the hardest game thread... which combat, be it a boss or horde of creatures from any game, was the hardest for you?

Honourable mention goes to the gauths/beholders in the Unseeing Eye quest in BG2 SoA, and also to the "ultimate weapons" from FF5. But in both cases, you could level up high enough to survive the monsters' attacks sufficiently well to counterattack and win.

But the hardest combat I've had was in Pools of Darkness, an old Forgotten Realms RPG. It was the last battle of the game (not including Dave's Challenge). Monsters start on all four sides of the party, far away on all sides except the south which was up close. I can't remember what the enemy consisted of, but lots of death dragons and 'dark minions' or something come to mind.

I made myself the ultimate party: 6 humans, all dual classed, from level 39 fighter-type to level 40 thief/cleric/mage (the exp cap). All I can say is I haven't beat that battle yet. I can't even beat it WITH cheating (using the let-you-backstab-me-to-waste-your-turn move - stops them from having their regular turn so they can't do more damaging attacks, like casting spells or death dragon breath). I could only beat it by cowering in the corner and letting the combat turn segments run out.

2. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The battle of Berlin in Close Combat III. Just try to stop 10 russian tanks (including two JS2) with two militia teams, an 88 AT gun and one Konig Tiger. My heroic Tiger managed to destroy 5 russian tanks but at the end they managed to destroy it.

3. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think some will agree, the most hardest I have fought is against Kangaxx, the Demi-lich, in BG2.
    And doing that with only Edwina and Korgan and not forgetting me, a 15th level Undead Hunter, and you will find it a rather impossible battle to win.

But I did, a lucky blow with the Carsomyr!

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I don't know if this fits, but try killing a master sniper on one end of a long hallway with all your ammunition supply exhausted and nothing but your trusty dagger to kill him by in Counter-Strike.
    You're down to 20 HP and he has 100 HP, with armor and headgear.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You lost, obviously. :D

The the most difficult fight, for me, might be against the Demon Gate in FF7, which was, frankly, more like "pissing off" than "difficult" -insta-death spells are very annoying. Also, a fight against the Parasite Queen in Breath of Fire 2 was very very hard -insta-kills again. :mad:

6. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Definitely the big fight with the Five Bhaalspawn at the end of Throne of Bhaal. It took half a dozen reloads on easy difficulty and with Bodhi recruited to my side before I could get the better of them.

I have nightmares about trying it on Insane difficulty...

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hardest fight, in my definition, is a fight that has required the most amount of time and trouble, and something you have won in the end. A fight where you lose, then return after leveling 20 levels and beat him, is not a hard fight. Neither is it a hard fight when you die, only. As then any common enemy would be the hardest fight in the world when you happen to gameover against them.

So, my answer is Ruby Weapon in FF VII. At the time I'd no idea of ultima weapon (for Cloud), omnislash, etc. I didn't have Final Attack + Revive, Knights of Round etc. All I had, and used, was Enemy Skill (Big Guard), Shield, and loads of elixirs. And after trying for around or over 10 hours with the same level and abilities with my character, dying several times, I finally found a tactic that allowed me to defeat this weapon. This tactic was 1-2 hours of gaming, and didn't leave room for a single mistake or you'd just miss casting the proper spells and items countering the deadly effects of the Ruby Weapon's spikes. That fight was so glorious I invited a freak-friend of mine over to watch for 2 hours as I beat it a second time, using an earlier savegame.

Yes, that fight was legendary.

8. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Hard battle(s)? I probably didn't find out the trick so I could not complete the final battle of Lionking. To mention a newer game, the final battle of Warcraft 3 (without the expansion) wasn't easy either, I had to pay attention even while I found a good tactic (use all gold mines + Dryads + druids who shapechange to Bears).

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Standup fight with the Minotaurs in Castle Kriegspire in MM6. Even at level 80, my party was dead in a matter of seconds.

10. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I´m having a really hard time memorizing the hardest battle. But I do remember Lady Yunalesca in FF X. Man, I hate that fight. Especially if you dont have the patience to gather enough Candles of Light (or something) to make zombieproof armors... Not to mention that she curses you at the same time. Good thing she´s not that good at causing damage though.

11. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think it would be either Omaha Beach (MOHAA) on "hard" difficulty, or Radio Relay (Vietcong) on "Vietnam" difficulty.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Call of Duty on hard mode throughout the entire game (no medkits at all!). Damn fun game makes you feel like a true war hero when you're commanding officer says "Well done kid" when you snipe a MG-42 who is supressing your entire squad.

13. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well I AM trying it on insane difficulty, I don't even have Balthazar or Bodhi either and so far the only way I can see to beat it is by either cheating, or been a genius, it's damn near impossile even with the uber party I've taken from a 2 person to a 3 person and then a 4 and then 6 in ToB, so half the party is very high level.

Three of them that come to mind are Rouge Squadron, trying to get all gold medals, Perfect Dark, and of course the fight against the five.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.