1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sim City 4

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elios, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Man this game looks cool! When I get a paycheck I am going to buy it. The specs are for a computer better than what I have, but I think I can get it to work since they are close to other games I have that work on my computer.
    Anyone try it yet? Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on it yet.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've played Simcity 2000 and 3000, so i guess i'll try this one as well. But i don't think it's in the stores here already.

3. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I just read a review..it wasn't from a reviewer I'd trust though, so I still don't know... but maxis made a pile of money on the Sims, so I'm sure they've made a quality game here... but just like the other sim games (tropico, transport tycoon, not to mention the games maxis have made themselves), there's a very real possibility that you'll be bored with it by the time you've built that first city.

Agh, typos.

[ January 17, 2003, 14:31: Message edited by: idoru ]

4. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My friend bought Simcity 4 on this weeks wednesday (15th) and he says that it is awesome game and has excellent graphics (I have to agree with that), but I think that SC4 isn't really much better than SC3000.

[ January 17, 2003, 15:03: Message edited by: Harkle ]

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pac Man: I sell the game, I live and work in your country, too.

If there are some nice things you can tell me about, please do. I want to know something of the stuff I sell.
    I read something about Sims in your city. These are just people living in your city with a certain opinion or can you influence their lives directly?
    (stuff like that I would like to know)

6. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The Sims that live in yor city are just normal people and have no real function excep giving you their opinion on employment, crime etc...
    If you have The Sims installed on you computer, you can import them into your city.

Only really annoying thing I've come across is that you can't trade or make business deals with your neighbours until you build the neighbours yourself.

It's a good game and I am hooked for sure.

7. Elios Gems: 17/31

Ok, here is one problem I encountered and found annoying. Well actually a couple. The game does not run on your standard computer you buy from a store like office depot or so. It requires at least a 16mb video card. Well I used this as an excuse to upgrade. I installed it on my computer to try it out. I am playing a couple other games right now and I didn't want to start a fourth. So for the time being, I uninstalled Sim City 4. It totally messed up my computer. I was not able to put the computer into hybernate. It messed up my restart. Other programs wouldn't work saying I was missing certain files. Though when I uninstalled I never had that option that says a file that is no longer shared, etc... I was running slightly below the mi req as far as my processor goes. But everything else was above the min req. My friend had the same problem. Who knows? :confused:

8. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Sorry, no help from here, Elios. But I've another question. What's the difference between SC3000 and SC4000?

9. idoru Gems: 11/31

The usual: more details, better graphics and so on.. tweaks. The major difference seems to be that now you're in control of an entire region.. so you can build a quite little suburbia in one region, and then build a highway taht connects it to the big, dirty industries. There was some trading and deals to be made in SC3k, but with this system you're in more control, since you play both cities.. you could for example have one city that concentrates on power plants, and one that concentrates on water.. and then just trade that, one city gets power, the other gets water, and if you've tweaked it right, both should gain from it.

10. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Sounds like they're running out of ideas. :o

11. idoru Gems: 11/31

yeah, I think that happened around simcity 2k. If you compare the first simcity to that one, there's a huge difference: the entire game worked different, from the core and out... then 3k and now 4 seem to just add to the concept, there's nothing that groundbreaking about them.

12. Elios Gems: 17/31

I personally now think 4 sucks. I reinstalled 3 and am playing that and having much more fun

13. idoru Gems: 11/31

Why is that?

14. Balo Ironmist Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Note to all who are thinking of buying this game. I would check out the forums at maxis before you do. There are alot of problems. The min. requirements are way off. I know of a handful of gamers who have intel 2.x pentium 4 with ati 9600's video card who get masive slow downs, to the point of non playability. The word is that the code isn't streamlined ( i can't remember the word for it).

15. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I play this game on a Athlon XP 1800+ and it plays fine until the city gets very big.

My guess for those super computer guys is that they have extended the maximum size for a map and covered it with city. And you can't expect this game to run perfectly with everything turned up to the max...

16. Elios Gems: 17/31

The reason I think it sucks is because of the problems. Grant it I don't have quite the min specs, but I have less than the min on other games and they run fine.
    The other thing was the problems I mentioned above when I uninstall the thing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.