1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sick people in this world...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The White House is listening to you, Barmy. I expect everything will be sorted out soon. They're hosting a conference about it, after all. Well, planning to host one anyway.

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    theyll host it, but they wont do anything

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Barmy, Presidential Advisor. What a job! :D

5. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I feel safer already! :D

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm glad you find the murder and rape of innocent young girls so risible, personally it makes me sick to the stomach, but hey, we're all different...

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Barmy Army does have a point. The man's own family, and the families of the girls who were killed, are all in incredible shock and grief over the whole thing so shortly after the fact.

This is the Alley of Dangerous Angles guys, lets post like it shall we? Especially over something like this.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It'll never happen, America will never take out the right to bear arms or arm bears or whatever in the constitution because too many people would oppose it due to it being 'unconstitutional'... whatever that means but it's reason enough to not change the constitution.

Till they do sort this mess out they should get used to holding funerals for children gunned down at schools, or make schools into forts... So three choices and I bet they'll take the 'fort' option.

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Not quite. People oppose changing the laws because it's unconstitutional, and oppose changing the Constitution because...well, just because.

And apparently your 'fort' cynicism is well-founded. I just heard on one of those "Tonight at six" prenews things that someone's proposed making it legal for the teachers to carry guns in schools. Yeah, that's a great idea. :rolleyes:

10. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    if i remember correctly, its not constitutional for any american to bare arms.

the amendment states something along the lines of "it is the right bare arms as part of an organised malitia"

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Well, I guess they would be right to call it unconstitutional, as it is part of the 2nd Amendment. "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." From my understanding it was as a reaction after the British attempted to disarm the colonialists during the American Revolution. The exact meaning can be debated. Does it refer to individuals rights to own weapons, or does it refer to the states rights to form an armed milita? Just reading through the wikipedia article on the 2nd Amendment, it says that a court has ruled (back in 1840 (Aymette v. State), that the phrasing 'to bear arms' was refering to a military sense.

12. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

They are starting to ban the Harry Potter books in schools over there though. I guess that will go a long way to fix things.................

13. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Yep, and no ankles can show either!

No, but seriously, the contstitution doesn't say that civilians can have arms unless they are part of a standing militia. But no government would dare change the law because the NRA is one of the biggest lobbyists there is. Would you stop taking bribes to change a law that would save even a few lives? If you're humane, yes, but if you're human, no. Or rather, if you're a corrupt person in power, no way in hell.

We need stricter laws on guns and ammunition (Chris Rock's theory is a good one - make every bullet cost five thousand dollars. Then no one would shoot anybody :D ). Make guns only legal for hunting, and the tests to get permits for either extremely challenging. Both mental and physical tests should be made. Ban the selling of most handguns and semi-auto or fully automatic weapons.

It would probably reduce at least some violence.

And to help prove Barmy's Point:

Yeah, thats 1998, but in 2003, there were 11,920 homicides, more than in 1998. And there were 30,136 gun deaths total.

Source: http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm

Note: There are other sources, but this had a pretty well put together list. The same information about the 2003 deaths can be found at the NRA website: http://www.vpc.org/nrainfo/phil.html

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It is truly sad. Today we got a notice from Little Snook's school that they are going to practice "lock down" drills. To me that seems like the stupidest thing in the world. If they had any brains and courage the policy should change that all teachers should be armed.

I may be misinformed, but these types of things always seem to happen in "gun fearing" parts of the country. You never hear about it in Texas.

As an aside, I don't believe it is fair to blame the actions of these sickos on the guns themselves. The case in PA involves a pedophile, not a gun-nut.

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Yeah, but he could have ended as just a pedophile, not a pedophilic murderer. If he couldn't have access to guns, it would have been more difficult for him to do what he did. Although, reading about it, he seemed pretty obsessed with his actions, and I think he would have found a way no matter what.

But perhaps if he had tried to get guns and there was a gun-awareness program (anyone without a license trying to buy a gun is tagged and tracked)...

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You've GOT to be joking, surely.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sadly, I doubt that he is joking. (There's a bigger issue here regarding weaponry escalation, but that's probably better left for another topic.)

18. Harbourboy

Making teachers carry guns has got to be the craziest idea I have EVER heard on these Boards. And there have been some crazy ideas spouted here over the years. There's no way in this galaxy that I would ever send my children to a school where the teachers were armed.

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Use common sense here. How many nutcase teachers have you met? I've met far too many. If we allow teachers to have guns in schools we will have far more dead children and teachers.

If the cities want to spend additional funds on police, put a police officer or two in every school. Have those police officers trained in securing a school (lockdown). That is much safer than teachers with guns.

I'm afraid we will have a knee jerk reaction to a horrific event followed by a psycho copycat. The real solution is to reduce the number of guns available, not put them in the schools (unfortunately the former will never happen).

20. nunsbane

nunsbane

I'm with Snook, except for the armed teachers.

The gun did not kill these kids it was the psycho who killed the kids. Yes, the gun made it easier, but how hard would it be to acquire a gun if they were outlawed...I would be willing to bet not very. If I'm not mistaken, fully automatic rifles are illegal but they seem to pop up from time to time in the hands of some idiot or another. Instead of armed teachers there should be armed guards on the payroll of every school. I had them at my highschool 15 years ago, I'm surprised that it is not more common now.

It's unrealistic to think that guns will ever be banned here in the U.S.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.