1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shogun - Total War - Windows 7 - Bad mix?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Blades of Vanatar, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] I installed Shogun:Total War on my new PC, with Windows 7. It worked just fine on my XP system, but when trying ot play it, it's a mess. The initial startup screen flashes like crazy and then once into the game, if I try to actually fight the battles, it just freezes up when it enters the battle screens. Anyone have or know about these issues?

Video card is - ATI Radeon™ HD5850 Graphics card with 1GB of Discrete Video Memory.

Could it be directX11?

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Can be. When you have dx 11 installed it does not mean you have 9c. Install the dx9 that came with the game to be sure.

3. gorgon82 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You probably already thought of this, but...

Default Windows drivers suck. Did you get the latest video drivers from the manufacturer after installing Win7?

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I didn't think of that Merlanni, thanks. I definitely skipped the Directx9 knowing I have 11.

Is it a safe option to always install the drivers the game wants/default driver from the game install, knowing you already have a higher version of directx? Or will it interfere with other programs?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  6. Blades of Vanatar

Sweet! Thanks for the info Merlanni. Much appreciated. :)

---------- Added 19 hours, 0 minutes and 41 seconds later... ----------

Well, while installing the recommended version of Direct X(8.0c)did get rid of the flashing screen on the Startup screen, it didn't solve the problem when entering the Battle screen. Still freezes up. I have looked all over the net last night, seems to be a pending issue. The only fix I read was to install on older machines only. That about sucks! I have an old, old Windows 95 system and my XP system packed away now, with no room to setup. :(

7. Merlanni

Media:
    did you try right clicking on the shortcut icon, select properties, selecht compatabilities, and check the box windows xp service pack 3 option?

8. Blades of Vanatar

Nope, but I will, thanks for extra help.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Well, that didn't work either. Was up most of Friday night, scouring different forums and looks like nobody has the fix for this game, though many are asking the same type of questions and/or encountering hte same type of issues as me. Apparently, it just doesn't play well on newer graphic cards. You need an old machine to run it smoothly.

10. Merlanni

Media:
    To kick in an open door, and sorry in advance if you did, but you did patch/hotfix the game?

11. Blades of Vanatar

Yep. That is always my first move. I also tried it without the patch/fix. Same issue. I will have to setup one of my older pcs in my basement to play it, my XP system ran it just fine.

12. Blackice Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Try Microsoft Virtual PC http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/. You can play any older game hosted with the actual operating systems while running Windows 7 regularly. Also it doesn't cost anything. However, it does require you to have the install and cdkey for the operating system you choose.

You won't need to partition much extra hard drive space to it-- generally 1-2 gigs to spare on a Win98 OS is plenty.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.