1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shadow Dragon

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sarevok, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Sarevok Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] What is the easyest way of slaying the shadow dragon in the ruins?

2. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The easiest way is to avoid it first and come back for it after you've fought in the Underdark.

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I manged to beat it by using haste on everyone, casting lots of defensive spells, summoning a few monsters, uisng my fighters and the mosters as distraction (they circled the dragon and ran away lots), then casting lots of breech, lower magic resistance and magic missiles. It helped having a sorcerer, Aerie, and Nalia in the party as they could rotate between casting breech and missiles. Oh yes, be very lucky. For alternative approaches have a look at these:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000380.html
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000714.html

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Go straight ahead, take some fighters and simply beat that beast up ... well, that´s what I did first ;) Soon I was teached a lesson in respect and in my second approach, a combination of mage spells (lower resistance, magic missile, breach, lightning), ranged weapons (Mazzy was a great help) and melee, was successful. Finally it was Jaheira´s sling +2 (w sunstones) that killed the beast.

There are a variety of dragon killing styles - Slappy´s links should give you a good overview about them.

5. volkov_2001 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] i got mi..as a ranger(racial enemy dragon).
    keldorn..minsce and arie....i got mi aerie memorize secret word(S)and cast it on the dragon..boots of speed on mi ranger.dual-wielding a celestial fury and another sword
    than simalcrum it..oh yah the other sword is the dragon slayer and just hack it....(although u may be send flying...u can come back ....and when ur weapons no damge cast secret word again and continue hacking........i did not lose anyplayer....

the red dragon is more powerful..if u can kill firkraag.the shadow dragon is a little kid

6. Xellos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Best killing technique in the world. Have your Mage/Fighter cast time stop then just start hacking. Any dragon will die after about 180-200 hp. If the spell wear off before you kill it, just repeat the process.

If you don't have a mage/fighter have your mage cast time stop and throw lighting bolts at it.

Or if you want to give the dragons a actual chance equip your fighter with the silver sword and fight them the normal way. Kill all three dragons with the silver sword the first time I went throught the game.

Just wondering whats everybodys favorite killing technique? I found that time stop to be best for my mage/Kensai. Any enemy that I found hard to kill the first time was easy the second time through when I just the time stop.

7. Sarevok Gems: 2/31

Where did you find the silver sword?

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You get the blade from Saemon Havarian and the Hilt from the Githyanki who come for the blade.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    the easiest way to kill a dragon is 4 steps long:

1) summon creatures
    2) cast haste on party
    3)have your main cahracter use the Slayer Change
    4)bash away with your main character and the summoned creatures. Easy! Of course, I had 140 hitpoints when I did this, so your mileage may vary

10. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31

i think that attacking dragons with out using tactics that are far beyond the mental comprihension of one such as me is to just prepare for the battle with protection spell ect lower resistance then cast some offensive spells on ure tanks and atack wit them while ure mage and cleric sit back and aid the battle by casting long range attacks etc i had my archer stay back and kick ass as well ive killed the red and shadow dragon in chapter 2 but tahts only cause ive spent like 82 days in chapter 2

11. Dude69 Gems: 3/31

I all ways use the wand of cloud kill it works wonders on them all.

12. shadowboxer Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] What I find works well is take Shadowkeeper and give all yer people 999 hp and holy avengers. At least thats one way ;)

13. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31

cept those last too i don't think are proper tactics lol aslong as ure not using the cloud kill bug for dragons its ok but it take the fun out of the whole game ifu cheat

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Easiest way: Breach, Pierce Magic and then Lower Resistance. Lot's of magic missiles (load a twigger) and kick the dragon. Also kick the dragon with your hasted fighters, stand around the dragon, don't attack from 1 side.

15. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Finger of Death.

'Nuff said.

16. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Hey I just killed the Shadow Dragon. It's a big deal to me since its the first I've ever killed. Well during my excitement I forgot to see how much experience I got for slaying it. Does anyone know? I'm just curious.

17. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Use breach to Break down the shadow dragon's defences( You probably need more breach spells), you can use lower resistance, too.
    After these, fast meele pressure, and a couple of magical missiles will do the job.

18. [​IMG] In the area of more "realistic" ways to kill dragons, you can lightning them into oblivion rather quickly. 4x damage, it seems.

I would love to see a fight in a big room (oh, I can use my wand of lightning! hahahaha) where the bad guy has a lightning rod installed, and all your bolts go to it--opps, the rod has spell reflection on it!

What an angry reload that would be. :mad:

bgp

[This message has been edited by biggreenpriest (edited April 03, 2001).]

19. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hey, forget Wand of Wanders - if can petrify the dragon and you lose a chance to loot his possessions!

20. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Two dragons in two days...I just don't know if I can handle it. Today Firkraag fell. It was a fun fight. He didn't seem harder than the Shadow Dragon, although getting to him was more work than getting to the Shadow Dragon. What's with these dragons? Do they not breath fire or whatever? Neither dragon did anything like that, they just did things like "Wing Buffet," "Dragon Fear," and "Greater Malison." I put all this fire protection equipment on my chars and all these fire protection spells, and those goofball dragons didn't even breath smoke at me let alone fire. I really got a kick out of it when Firkraag was "badly injured" and he wasted his time casting Melf's Acid Arrow on Minsc. It was fun watching my chars fly across the room when those dragons used "Wing Buffet" though. I'm playing the game on core rules and I got 64,000 exp. points for Firkraag. Not bad. Well that's my spiel on dragons. I'm so worked up I can't even go to sleep now. What a game!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.