1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shadow dragon from hell

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Divine Shadow, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I can't kill it. The only things that seem to hurt it are my magic items (like ring of ram) and spells. I have never hit it in combat. I miss and miss and miss and miss.
    My higher level spells can't get through
    his magical resistance. AAAAAAAARGH!
    I have been able to kill it once but that
    cost me Viconia. And his breath...grrrr.
    Is it me or did the game designers go freaking bananas with level draining monsters?! Vampires, mist's, dragons, wraith's,wights...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
    No wonder people cheat.

2. Kokensu Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I beat him fairly easily. Cast magic resistance on the shadow dragon(NOT lower resistance). This will CHANGE his resistance from like 90% to like 20% or so. It's a bug in the game. hehe

Also summon lots of cannon fodder for him to shoot at. I usually attack the dragons from both sides. I have my thief hide in shadows and then backstab him while he's killing the elementals I summoned. If you cast the resistance spell, you MAY be able to polymorph him. In either case your spells will do more to him.

Also make sure you use the dragon shield, helmet and sword from the Red dragon.

***SPOILER***

And if you have time goto the dock district and get the dwarven smith there to forge the red dragon scales you got from the red dragon into red dragon armor. This won't help ALOT vs. the shadow dragon but every little bit helps. The shadow dragon is worth beating tho. After you win you get shadow scales which can be used to make shadow armor from the same smith. It's not bad armor and works great for theives or other characters that can't wear much armor.

3. DEUS Gems: 2/31

When I fought it, it cast stoneskin on itself if Im not misstaken could be one of the reasons why u "didnt hit it"...

Against vampires use the clericspel (lvl3) negativeplaneprotection, and turning, and why not a couple of fireballs before u charge em...

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Kokensu - That's the documented effect of the Magic Resistance spell, so it's not really a bug.

I used Yoshi's traps and Arrows of Biting to good effect.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    My kensai-mage killed it with a single finger-of-death spell and the fight was over, without any preparration spell hehehe :D

However, I saved the result and reloaded to play it the hard way and hard it was.
    However, my tactic was: Countermagic, archers and two tanks (Minsc/ Keldorn) torthe hack´n´slash. When I play a thief I, of course, use backstabbing :D

6. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] Well I finally nailed with my own strategy.
    Is it a bug that it never takes damages from my weapons? I can hit it all right but it never takes damage even though I jave cancelled its spell protections.

7. [​IMG] You folks are overlooking two dragon-wounding spells.

Magic Miss: You get several chances to hit and it's fast. It also takes down the *.skin spells, opening up melee.

Holy Smite: I have Arie and my priest load up on this area effect spell. It does 20-25 points damage each time I dropped it on that bad boy.

I got lucky with two flame strikes that worked on the shadow; but the other two spells have not been mentioned.

Red gave me much more trouble than Black.

Something else that I would suggest: You guys face dragons at a much high level than I did. Thus, you seem to get wrapped up in higher level spells and all-powerful weapons and forget the basics.

bgp

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] A spell I found most dragons are especially afraid of is Lightning Bolt. If you have a wand and a mage or two who have them memorized, you can kill one off easily by just using that spell alone.

9. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Lightning Bolt would work well against dragons because they are usualy in large spaces which means the bolts won't bounce back at you with unerring accuracy like they normaly do. :p Also I seem to remember that finger of death would work well against dragons, but maybe it was only the black dragon. I wasn't leveled up enough to have the finger of death for the red and shadow dragons so I don't know if it works against them.

[This message has been edited by Gunthar (edited February 22, 2001).]

10. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31

Actually, what I have found is that Lightning Bolt IS a bug when used against dragons. It gets hit like 4 times, because it is 4x as long and thus consumes 4 spots worth of getting hit. In any normal form of P&P this would not happen and it is simply a design flaw. That is like casting fireball on one and having it deal 4x the damage. Maybe it gets hit a little bit more by the fire/lightning, but honestly, 4x?

Amon-Ra

11. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Magic Resisitance is not a bug in the game.

This resistance is set so if the target already has more magic resistance than the priest would confer, it will actually lower it to the set value.

Straight from the game manual ladies and gentlemen.

12. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Even a specification can be a bug!
    But do use it :)!
    You don't have to adhere to Grub's first rule:
    If it is intelligent, it's cowardly!!

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hell yeah, lighting bolt works wonders on dragons.
    At low levels, cast multiple Bless and Chants from different clerics so that the benefits stack.
    If your main character is good, activate Draw on Holy Might if you're going in for melee.
    Never forget to Haste, or protect yourself from the dragon's breath. Summon allies if possible.
    Have one mage standing by at all times to Breach or Dispel. Of course, smite evil's good on all of em except the silver dragon.

14. Kokensu Gems: 2/31

I say the magic resistance thing IS a bug even if it IS in the manual. I don't think the spell was intended to LOWER resistances. If anything it should INCREASE the resitance past 90% not lower to like 20%. That's what the spell LOWER RESISTANCES is for...

15. Recoil Suave Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Umm, Kokensu, it was intended to do that. Otherwise they wouldn't have put it into the manual. Plus someone would have heard from one of the developers saying that they couldn't do it any other way. They did on other spells though so it definitely is not a bug.

16. Kokensu Gems: 2/31

I guess you're not getting my point. I know it's in the game. And I know they made it like that. But it's not the way the rules are supposed to be.

Magic Resistance - raise targets magic resistance

Lower Resistances - lower targets magic resistance

Am I the only one that that makes sense to?
    Well I know that it's not the ONLY AD&D rule they did not implement in BG2.

17. Recoil Suave Gems: 3/31

Magic Resistance-Gives the target a certain amount of magic resistance, period. It doesn't matter how much they had previously. It is now set at what you just gave them.
    Lower Resistance-Does just that, it lowers the magic resistance of your target.

As you can't see, obviously due to a stubborn nature I won't go into, this is the way these spells are meant to work in BG2. If you don't like it, hack the spell and change it to what you think it should be. Cool! I can flame and help someone at the same time, not that I was flaming or anything. ;)

18. Kokensu Gems: 2/31

1. You're not helping me by explaining the same thing over and over. I already said I understand how it works in BG2 and I understand that that is what the developers intended. What I'm arguing is that, that is not how it was intended in AD&D(which is what BG2 is based off of). They didn't use all the rules from AD&D in this release of BG2. I just think that's one of the rules they SHOULD have implemented.

2. There's no reason to flame me at all. Because I wasn't flaming anyone. And I'm NOT being stubborn by simply disagreeing on a point. I already submitted to your argument that that is what the developer's intent was. I was simply arguing that I don't think it should be that way because it makes more sense the other way. If you want to be rude that's you're own perogative.

19. Recoil Suave Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] My bad, I misunderstood what you meant by your previous post. However, the fact still remains that the spell Magic Resistance doesn't work as in AD&D. If I can create a spell that does work like it is supposed to, I would gladly email it to you, if you'll permit me. Otherwise I'll remove myself from this debate.

[This message has been edited by Recoil Suave (edited February 23, 2001).]

20. Kokensu Gems: 2/31

It's no problem. Let's just forget all the flaming nonsense. There's no point to it. ;)

I don't need a newer version of the spell. I know how it works and I'm cool with that. I just was disagreeing with the programmers choice(nothing wrong with a little bitching). ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.