1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Self Defense

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Silvery, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I was looking through my old college stuff and found an article that I used for part of a law project...I don't know if this law is still upheld but apparantly it's legal for a man to physically assault a Transvestite as it counts as self defense

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well, if that's true, it's more than likely that the first time that law was put to the test, it'd be struck down (I am assuming the UK's legal system is similar to the USA's). Laws like that stay on the books because no one actually enforces them; the first time someone tries, they're removed from the books.

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Just without a reason? I see such individual and I can kick him? And everything is legal? :nuts:

4. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Why would one have to defend oneself when encountering a travestite? Really makes no sense to me..

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Since women wear jeans and a t-shirt, does that mean I can take out anyone in jeans and a t-shirt (add long hair and earrings)?

6. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think the law implies a more Rocky Horror Show-type transvestite ;)

7. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

That's either an archaic hold-over piece of common law (like the no-rape-in-marriage one which was overturned within a fortnight of it being mentioned in court) or it's missing a component - probably something along the lines of "defensible panic" if a man picks up a transvestite thinking he's a woman. It would potentially be binding precedent unless the judge differentiated the case. Although, if the transvestite has a Medusa ray and a chainsaw...

Thank God they threw out the "homosexual panic" defence to homicide (and IIRC, assaults) in this country. That was BS, plain and simple, and while that lifestyle isn't for me, it's certainly not grounds for harming or killing someone.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I think this implies that there was intent for sex and the "woman" was really a guy. I believe that sex gained through deception constitute rape, and you wouldn't get on someone for killing someone that tries to rape them...

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I would assume that the transvestite had done something other than just be standing around -- if the law simply allowed someone to hit a guy in woman's clothing, that would be pretty weird, and certainly not defensible in any modern Western court (I wouldn't say the same of the Sha'Ria courts being held in Africa and some other places, where a woman pregnant out of wedlock is likely to be killed.)

10. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't know...Hopefully, there's a reason for it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.