1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Seek Latin translation

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ofelix, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Yes, for my own amusement I'd very much appreciated if you could help me out. As you can see I'm preparing to collect every piece of writing I've ever done in a single book, so I'm looking for a proper title something like:

Gift of Lord - ???? - Actualy my name in Hebrew means that which is writted « MTY »
    Writing blesses Writers - Scriptum Gratia ????
    I am Ofelix - Ego sum Ofelix ? I know they are less... crude way to say it though.
    The writings of my life - Scriptum Vitae perhaps?

I've only a very basic grasp of Latin, let alone propoer declension. Thank you all in advance.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    "Donum Domini" would be the gift of the Lord in both senses; "Donum a domino" would be something like "from the Lord"

Scribere benedicit scriptores :p

You got #3 right. Congrats. :p

Scriptura vitae meae :p

3. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Need trans- 'I pull the strings' into latin.

4. chevalier

Media:
    Literally, that would be "traho funiculos" for common speech, "funiculos traho" for a more classical expression or maybe even "funiculos ego traho" to stress that it's the speaker and not anyone else. But it just sounds wrong. A bit like it is in general with translating idioms. Can't think of any Latin saying to match our pulling the strings idea, sorry. ;) I just know they referred to puppet strings as "nervus" rather than anything else, and they would probably use a different word than "traho" - "pull". Maybe something like, "nervos ego moveo".

5. Daie d'Malkin

Well, it's for a coat of arms, so...

6. chevalier

Media:
    Then leave out the "ego". It's always left out in coats of arms mottos.

7. Daie d'Malkin

Needa nother one, which you should be able to help with, Chev.

'Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord'

8. chevalier

Media:
    My advice for such cases is google it to find the Bible book and verse signature and then look it up in a Latin Bible online. Outside that context, perhaps something like ["]Ultio mea est["] dicit Dominus. Deuteronomy says Mea est ultio in Chapter 32, Verse 35 AFAIK, but ultio mea est would be more classical Latin.

[ December 06, 2006, 04:01: Message edited by: chevalier ]

9. Daie d'Malkin

I googled,and the answers were...wrong, basically. It's Romans 12:19, anyway

10. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Well, Romans 12:19, the whole verse, in the Latin Vulgate, is:

But I think the original occurrence of this saying is indeed in the Hebrew scriptures, Deuteronomy 32:35, in the Vulgate:

It often happens that the New Testament quotes from the Septuagint, an ancient Greek translation of Hebrew scriptures, and then once that is translated again into Latin (by St. Jerome, in this case) it's usually not parallel with the Hebrew at all.

And I don't know enough Latin to sort out which part of those verses you would clip out, exactly. Looked them up on a nifty program called BibleWorks, which has a bunch of different language versions of the Bible.

So maybe all I've done here is confuse the issue!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.