1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Second Play Through

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Munchkin Blender, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I am now on my schedule play through for DAO. First off the game starts the world explored off as 0%.

My second origin I'm using is a male human rogue. Quite enjoyable actually. I will let you all know how things go. I'm only at Ostagar as I just started this character yesterday.

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I'm playing my third game with a Human Rogue (trying a more efficient build this time since I know how the game works now).

My second game was with an evil Commoner Dwarf Fighter and it was a lot of fun although I'm convinced that dual wielding is better for Rogues.

I ended up putting points in Archery for Arrow of Slaying. I got 619 damage points with it. It's less effective against bosses but Archery is powerful (I'll probably skip it this time as I want a really good backstabber).

So far I've played three origins (first was City Elf) and I must say I enjoy the way they get you into your character and into the main plot in different ways.

3. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I'm level 19 with my Human Rogue. How did/does your 3rd play through as a human rogue going. What abilities and skills did you select as you level up?

I find steal and open lock to be a great to get free items and stuff along the way.

4. Caradhras

Media:
    I put my game on hold as I want to play the next DLC with it. I can offer you one tip though, with a high Cunning Rogue you don't need more than one rank in lockpicking to be able to pick just any lock in the game.

I actually have made a list of skills and abilities that I'm going to pick (for instance skipping all the Dual Wielding abilities that don't improve this build in order to focus on Riposte and Momentum later on -the rest is not that useful). I'm also skipping Strength (no need for this) and prioritizing Cunning over Dexterity (only 26 natural Dexterity which means more than 40 with all bonuses).

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

As for the Rogue ability scores...
    STR 22 for Drakeskin Armor
    DEX 26 for Bows / Dual Weapons 3 tier abilities
    CUN 40+ for everything else rogue....

6. Caradhras

Media:
    [​IMG]
    That looks quite good actually, STR 20 would probably be enough (should be doable with various bonus without spending a point on Strength), I aim for 80 points in Cunning since I don't care about armours I'll skip Strength. I'm playing a Human Noble Rogue, I want to wear noble outfits not some crappy looking armour. :p

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I finished the game. I ended up keeping Cunning at 25 and raising STR to a much higher number. My rogue was more of a front liner with dual wielding weapons.

My next build will be a stealthly rogue dwarf noble... This time the STR won't be higher than 20 with all the ability increases from the magi tower... How many + to STR are in the Magi tower dream sequence?

8. Caradhras

Media:
    Your build looks a lot like my first Rogue, it's certainly good enough to get anyone through the game but it's not as appealling as the high Cunning build.

I can't remember if there is more than one point to gain in the Fade (I didn't write this down) but I do know that you won't have to spend more than 3 points with a Human Rogue to get to 20 (including items). I haven't checked with a Dwarf but I commend your choice, Dwarf is certainly the best option for the innate resistance to magic.

I haven't tried the dwarf noble origin but I've enjoyed the dwarf commoner a lot.

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I won't spoil it for you but once you play it, since you already completed the game more than once, it will be an eye opener for what is happening with the small folk.

10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I did a high cunning/high dex human noble rogue for my first runthrough. I didn't really know what I was doing as far as abilities, but I pretty much maxed out everything I could for dual wielding and backstabbing. It was a very fun character, and by far the most effective killer in my group. I also had Alistair, Sten and Wynne as my primary companions.

The other nice part about this character is that he usually had plenty of stamina to spare, so I could use bard songs to give stamina/mana regen to the others. He was good at coercion, so he almost always got his way. And he could open any chest, for maximum looting potential.

My second runthrough (currently on hold) is as a arcane warrior. As truly awesome as that character is, I often find myself missing my rogue.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    I've played it yesterday actually. I've been delaying playing other origins but I couldn't resist anymore. It's really good and certainly one of my favourite origins with the Dwarf Commoner and the City Elf origins.

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I've read that the origin gets interesting when the Dwarf Noble returns to Ozzamar. It is a very interesting part or so I read.

---------- Added 0 hours, 8 minutes and 15 seconds later... ----------

After playing the game 2x now I have to say this; the interactions between Alister and Morrigan makes it worth taking both of those two characters along. They fight like a married couple and it is quite entertaining.

The other two NPC banters that are interesting is Morrigan's interation with Sten and hmmm.... them being intimate. I LMAO when Sten responded to Morrigan. I was quite shocked he even said that given his character responses throughout the game.

If you have not recruited Loghain, I recommend it at least once. He has some interesting things to say.

I do have to say I do enjoy Shale; what he thinks of humans and the organic life forms is just funny. I also like his hatred of birds.

As for Warrior vs. Rogue. I see no point in using a Warrior as the PC will miss out on opening up locked chest, getting free xp for disabling traps, etc...Also, why be a warrior when you have Shale, Alister, the dog, Loghain, Sten, and the dwarf as warriors. The games provides quite a bit of warrior companions. The game only has 2 rogues and 2 mages. Of the rogue companions I prefer Lelina because she can disable traps, etc...

As for the Mages, I like Morrigan for her banter and spell selections.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.