1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Second 19" screen - questions

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ragusa, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    A friend has offered me his old 19" VGA screen (4:3) at a rock bottom price. Now, getting myself a second screen is an idea I've been flirting with for quite a while.

My real problem is whether I can use it.

I have a Sapphire ATI 4870 card, with two DVI plugs. My screen has DVI.

I have no idea whether it is possible to use them together, and how to. Any instructions, recommendations?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hook it up, go into Display Properties (from Control Panel), click in the Settings tab, you should now have options for how you want to use your second screen.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, it's quite easy and straightforward. You'll just need a small VGA to DVI adapter for the old one. I got two with every Samsung LCD I bought (possibly some with the graphics card as well), but you can probably get them for a euro or two if you need to buy them.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The Sapphire 4870 comes with a couple of DVI/VGA adapters. I've not tried dual-screen with it but it's really very straightforward, as BTA has described. The Catalyst Control Center also has some extra options that may not be in the regular Control Panel, so you may want to have a look there once you've set the second screen.

5. Ragusa

Media:
    Cool, thanks folks :)

6. Ragusa

Media:
    I'm getting my second screen tomorrow! Yay!

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just as a heads up. Once you go to two monitors there is no going back. Enjoy.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    I have worked with two at work ... when you're using many programs simultaneously and need to check with documentations and the like, as I have to, it's great because your don't have to "alt-tab" all the time to switch programs. It's all in plain sight.

I have thought about getting myself a 24" some time next year and then handing over the 19" VGA to my sister or mother who still use 17" 'tubes'. But for the moment it's just great. Setting it up was indeed easy - just plug and play.

And as for not wanting to go back, you're perfectly correct :)

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is there not a problem with the difference in resolution?

Does your version of the catalyst driver still support the 4:3?

I played for a short while with it, trying to use the hd tv (16:9) and the monitor(16:10) as a clone of each other. Not satisfied. Did not play long with it.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh, both screens are 4:3 and have identical resolution. And yes, catalyst still supports 4:3.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It would be very odd if ATI or Nvidia stopped supporting 4:3 resolutions when there are still quite a few people using such monitors, not to mention it would make any pre-2006 (or maybe even 2007) game unplayable as most only had options for 4:3 resolutions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.