1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SDI - One step closer!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Darkwolf, May 7, 2004.

1. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ahm... because you funded the whole thing ? The Israelis ordered it, you funded it and now both of you bought it. The question is, do other companies in other countries develop similar systems or is that a very specific missile-concept that you want when your at war with your neighbour country and your own territories, that have tons of near-range rockets aimed at you.

What's the relation to SDI ?

3. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/reagan/sfeature/sdi.html

Plan to use high tech things like rail guns and lasers to knock down missiles. This pretty much fits the bill.

By the way nice insight! :rolleyes: Credible, backed by logic and factual input that is well documented. I definitely call it even and fair.

NOT!

4. Iago Gems: 24/31

LOL.

Ahm, ok. Could you point out where I was factually wrong and were logic had deserted me more specifically ?

The missiles at the border and in the own territority ?
    That this missile-defence thingy seems to adress a specific strategical problem and is aimed at intercepting specific missiles ?
    That you have funded it ?

And the relation to SDI I still don't get, wasn't that aimed at intecepting intercontinental missiles ?

5. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31

Veteran

So I guess that all the rocket testing and design that we did before we went to the moon was a waste of time? If you can't build exactly what you want today, don't bother with research and development, making advances one step at time? Glad people with that mentality weren't in charge of the various space programs.

They shot a missile out of the sky with a laser. This logically will lead to smaller, faster, more powerful laser tech. This will lead to the ability to mount them on other platforms, such as ships. Further R&D will lead them to be fitted on aircraft, and eventually they will be able to make them powerful enough to set up ground based or satellite based systems that will be able to shoot down ICBM's.

As far as the vitriol in
    You provide no backup to prove that statement as factual. We may have funded most of it, but the article clearly states that Israelis scientists were involved in the development, and it never states that they didn't provide any financing. I would also like to see what you base your belief that Israel ordered it. Does Israel now tell the US what we will do? Are we their subordinates? I get called to provide backup for practically every statement I make on these boards, but you seem to think that you can spew forth things like this without anyone questioning what you base your premises on? Or is this just your opinion?

I was looking for more of the analogies and comparisons with the M1A1 Abrams, or other jointly developed weapons systems. Something like someone's beliefs regarding the benefit it provides to Israel vs the cost it could have for them in increasing the tensions in the Middle East would have been good. Hell, I would have been a lot happier to discuss the chances that something like this could lead to more tensions than the weapons that it is designed to destroy have caused.

6. Iago Gems: 24/31

Well, the rocket research before the moon-flight hadn't to do anything with SDI or Ronald Reagan, if I am not mistaken.

Ah, yes, and logically, someone will come up with something that prevents the missile from being shot down through a laser-tech based system. Or in other words, I don't think that anything that combines a laser, a missile and interception is SDI.

Obviously, the Israelis and the US military ordered it.

ANd the US and the Israelis funded it.

And they have a specific situation and specific kinds of missiles to shoot down.
    http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp?did=718869&fid=1725

So, where please was I wrong ?

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

So this is the first successful SDI test? However I don't see how it's important that it was a US-Israel cojoint operation. Obviously both countries enjoy being protected from nuclear attacks. Israel and the US have been close for as long as anybody can remember. It might as well have been a France-Swiss project.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.