1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

scimitars for druids...too rare?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by the assassin, Feb 2, 2004.

1. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I need some suggestions.......what good scimitars can i give to my druid/fighter? i have belm and a ninja-to +1......i just found out..druids cant use usuno's blade...despite it being a scimitar-class..THEN i found out that druids cant use yamato...despite THAT being a scimitar-class too...did my scimitar points get wasted? i know belm is good, but im not gonna run through the game with a +2 weapon.....(scimitar wise)...any suggestions? or will i have to resort to spears and staves?

2. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Um, yeah. There is a very good scimitar in TOB. I'm pretty sure you get it in Watcher's Keep, although the name escapes me at the moment. Incidentally, I prefer giving my druid, usually Jaheira, Quarterstaffs. I don't know, it just seems to fit a druid better.

3. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Spectral Brand is the TOB Scimitar (actually, you get it on the 3rd level of Watcher's Keep, so you can get it in SOA), and it's a pretty nice one. Specially after you upgrade it.

If you are going Sword and Shield, then stick with Belm until you get the Spectral Brand and you're gravy.

If you are Dual Weilding, then just use Belm, and whatever else you can find. The only other named SOA Scimitar I can think of is Rashad's Talon (basic +2, speed factor 3). When you get Spectral Brand, just make sue you stick Belm in your off hand and you'll get an extra attack with the SPectral Brand. You'll end up with 1 attack per round with the lowely +2 Belm, and everything else with the better scimitar. Definitely a decent combo.

Course, if you want to switch over to spears or staves, there are plenty of each of those to make you happy.

4. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

That is because they aren't scimitars but wakizashis, which for some unknown reason run on the scimitar proficiency.

5. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

There is a +3 scimitar (Water's Edge) available in the Underdark, but it doesn't have any spiffy bonuses like Belm; just a generic +3.

6. keldor Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Great magical scimitars too rare? Personally, I think the real problem is that there are too many of the other types of magical weapon. If you bear in mind that the ones who make magical weapons (mages) can't use most of them, it begs the question how come so many get made at all. Since the process for making such items is supposed to be extremely expensive, dangerous and time consuming, there should be far fewer in general and the ones that do exist would be well worth the effort i.e. really good.

Of course, the game writers know that most people just want lots of 'big shinies'! :D

7. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

If you are using the Item Upgrade Mod, you can get a very nifty scimitar called Water's Talon +4.
    It's an upgraded version of the Water's Edge, and has a few other bonuses too...

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Scimitars have to be rare. It's a quasi-mediaeval setting. Amn is something close to Italian merchant republics like Venice or Genoa. Tethyr is also somewhere in that area. Therefore, while oriental items are accessible, they're still not common and are not made in place. I'd say, imported from Calimshan, for example. Or made by a super rarity of Calimshi/te smith who lives abroad. Or something like that. This essentially means no problems with getting any, but some real trouble getting a good one. Especially one suiting your specific desires.

Note that scimitar is not the same what sabre is. Sabres are also oriental, but they might be adopted as light cavalry weapon by quasi-European kingdoms. Pirates might also use them instead of cutlasses.

9. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Couple comments here.

@keldor: If you read much about the Forgotten Realms setting (which is where these games take place), you'll find that i's a VERY Magic heavy world, and in fact there really is NO shortness of magic weapons and items. I think that's just the nature of the FR campaign setting. Though I agree, since this is a game the developers know that they need to have plenty of magic stuff scattered about to make folks happy.

@chev: I don't think it's fair to compare FR to real life when it comes to the availability of weapons here. Of all the reading I've done, I've ALWAYS had the impression that Scimitar's are not particularly rare at all along the Sword Coast. I guess my point is that, just because they may have been rare in ancient Venice, does NOT mean that they would therefor be rare in Amn, Tethyr, or anywhere else in FR. FR has really been very well fleshed out as it's own world, and unless the sourcebooks and literature about the world say something is specific to a region and/or hard to fin elsewhere, then there's no reason to assume that's how it should be.

It seems to me that the game devs just suspected taht, aside from Druids, VERY few people would be using Scimitars, and so didn't put in the over abundance of powerful ones like they did other weapons.

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Scimitars are too rare.

IMHO, the best Jaheira weapons out there are daggers, as funny as that sounds. Youcan get some +4 daggers for her, and still use shields!

Jaheira routinely has the best AC in my party. :)

11. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

In ToB you get the Spectral Brand which is a great weapon once it's upgraded and also at the start you can buy a +4 scimitar from the barkeep in the siege. I would say it is one of the more plentiful weapons.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I have a heckuva time GETTING that stupid spectral brand -- if I play the guy for it, I almost always lose, and if I just kill him, I can't find the Brand! It's frustrating.

13. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

They may be fun, but except the one-two good daggers in the game, I don't think Jaheira is effective while using daggers. "My" Jaheira :D used the Scimitar which gives +1 bonus attack (Belm) until the end of the game. When higher enchantment was needed, she used the Staff of Thunder or Scimitar +3. Spectral Band is also excellent.

14. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I never worried too much about the magical enchantments for scimitars, I used what I could, Rashad's Talon being the most used because it was +2, (I have no idea Belm existed, and I don't know where to find it :p ), but I've also used quaterstaves, and a druid/fighter can still be a very very effective Tank because he/she can use druid spells to take less hits. When his/her weapon doesn't work, he/she can resort to spells, ie:Call lightning, summon swarm, summon animal 1-3, etc. etc.

15. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Belm is in the Ogre Mage's Tower in the druid grove near Trademeet IIRC.

I mainly used Belm and the Spectral Brand, as is the norm. There aren't a huge amount of good scimitars but the ones that are available are excellent.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.