1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Same IP address

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by kuemper, Jan 30, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Every once in a while, I'll get a message on my computer telling me there's an IP address conflict - someone/thing has the same IP addy as me. I don't think much of it, except to stop what I'm doing and reboot. My computer has random IP addy picking, name-thing...you know!

There are a laptop upstairs and a regular PC downstairs with mine. I'm hooked to the Internet with a wireless router (which makes me uncomfortable :skeptic: ) to the modem/'Net stuff upstairs. Hubby told me the conflict is either with one of the computers in house or something in the neighborhood.

How worried should I be when that conflict message pops up? Should I do something else besides just rebooting?

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I would try to find out what causes it. But as it is, more (technical) information would be needed to assess the situation.

Maybe you could do this anyway:
    The next time you see the message go to command prompt (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt) and type "ipconfig" (without the ""). Note down the IP address, then repeat this for the other computers that are on and see if they have the same IP address.

If none of your computers have the same IP address I would be slightly worried. If they have, it should be easy to fix.

Lastly, do you use encryption with the wireless connection? If not (or if you use WEP), change it to use WPA/WPA2 security protocol immediately!

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The wireless router should do this job for you, unless you have the DHCP service on it turned of (that is the "give everyone a unique adress thing").

If you know how to configure your wireless router, you can make it pretty safe. I use wireless as well, and have both MAC adress filtering (an adress which is unique for every network card) and WPA security (which means I need a password to log on to the network). This was very easy to set up on my router, which is a cheap SMC model.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

AFAIK, no one in this house has the same IP address. Also, I don't have a firewall that I know of and I don't know anything about the router (what Mollusken talked about). Now I'm scared. I just had 5 messages pop up in less than a minute about an IP addy conflict. :mommy: I've asked hubby about it, (he's the tech geek) but since it doesn't happen to him, he doesn't care.

Just when I find nice things to do online, I get some weird thing happening to **** it up. :grr:

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I suggest you show your husband next time, so he can fix it, even though you said he doesn't care about it... I'm sure he'd care if someone is stealing your internet via wireless hacking...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.