1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sad Day

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I haven't done a presence check of the members with avatars and portraits in a long time - nearly two years - so I got on it today.

I've removed portraits and avatars from over 45 accounts of the people who haven't made a single post in over 6 months. A number of them haven't posted anything in over a year. Some were even nearing two years of inactivity. Granted, a number of them were accounts of people with only a handful of posts, but many of them were old community regulars, people who've made a name for themselves here, either through their posts, content contributions, or donations. It made me sad to see so many of them turn away from the boards, but c'est la vie. For many people, the expiration date on the games covered by SP was relatively short.

There was a golden period in the life of this site and boards, and those people made it happen. With some notable exceptions today, the best content on SP was submitted by many of those people, or during the time they were around. Since I'm feeling suitably nostalgic, I thought I might as well make this post in memory of all those people who were regulars around here at some point, but then for one reason or another, vanished without a trace. You'll be missed!

If any of you from the remaining old guard want to share a few words about any of the members that are not around any more, please do.

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

You're making it sound like they all died...

I've been around here longer than most of the posters nowadays, but do not consider myself 'old guard', or any guard for that matter. I have never really been one of the regulars at this place, but more an occasional poster. However, since I've been here for almost five years, I've seen a lot of people come and go and have good memories of a lot of them. I also never was a regular in the chatrooms, but I have fond memories of the times I did drop by. I was more or less absent for about six months in the end of 2002 and the beginning of 2003, after which I finally got broadband, and was actually looking forward at spending more time in the chatroom. However, when I dropped by a few times I noticed a lot of the familiar faces were already gone and I haven't been in the chatrooms since.

I miss SP and its visitors like it was back in those days, it gives of a different vibe nowadays, which is hard to explain. I wish I was more of a regular in those days; having better memories of the people back then would have been nice, but those I do have will never go away.

Let's see, there is of course Kitiara with her smooches when people entered the FAI. Marnix, my fellow Dutchman, who I remember chatting with in Dutch when the chatroom was empty. Extremist calling me Ebb, because I had the Ebb Creakknees avatar back then (this might only have happened two or three times, but somehow stuck with me). Slappy's constant stream of links on the message boards. Other regulars back then such as Sir Bel, Mathetais, Shadow Goddess (or Chick) and of course many more. But also later people like Splunge and Jaguar and their tongue-in-cheek comments made SP a fun place to visit.

I'm doing a lot of people injustice by not mentioning them, but there are just too many.

/ :geezer: -mode

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tal, if you're going to reminisce about the good ol’ days, you need to add on of these :geezer: to the end. Mesmero has the right idea. Plus you need to ramble on a bit.

Or better yet, leave the geezering to the geezers. Why, I remember when young people knew their place and didn’t try to act older than they really were. And they knew their manners, yessiree. None of this talking back you get nowadays. ‘Course, that’s when a dime was worth something, and automobiles had carburetors. Ah, the memories. :geezer:

See? Like that.

:p

P.S. @ Mesmero - what do you mean "made"? I'm still as witty and endearing as ever ( :rolleyes: ), if less frequently so. :shake:

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've had to force my rambling to the minimum, I thought it was bad enough as it was. :shake:

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I miss some of them. It looks like people have been getting much less free time than before. Either that or maybe the lack of powerful new releases in the D&D area prevents them from coming because how long can you talk about BG?...

I remember when Mathetais was around, sir Bel posted more regularly, as did MoN (who should start posting more regularly some time soon from what I understand) or Death Rabbit. I don't get to see Falstaff or Morgoth much anymore, either.

Don't want to hurt anyone but not mentioning him or her. There are the people from the chatroom, as well. Satiana, Kitiara, Dragon's Jewel, joacqin, Tiamat, Dudette and who else.

But we still have quite a lot of the old regulars, sometimes under a new name. Uytuun is from April 2002, Beren from June, Kitrax from April again, MoN from December 2001, Rally, Daie, Oaz, Ofelix... all of them were here before me. ;) Edit: No, Ofelix wasn't. He joined five days after me. :p

[ February 17, 2006, 01:25: Message edited by: chevalier ]

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It feels odd to remember the long-timers because most of them were still posting regularly when I joined, and slowly started posting less and less. At one point I didn't check the boards for maybe 4 months, and when I came back I couldn't recognize most of the people.

Not that I've been here THAT long myself :)

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've been around a while, but probably not long enough to remember the Golden Age that Tal refers to because most of the excellent content that was contributed then was already here when I joined. Sometimes I wish I had been able to contribute more tangibly to the content on the site but I would never be able to, for example, write walkthroughs that are as comprehensive as the ones that people have posted here.

So for all the old-timers who helped make SP what it is, but are no longer with us (so to speak), I say "Cheers to you".

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm still around - you njubs! ;) :p

I do miss a lot of folk though:

Kitiara
    Lord Moeken
    Mathetais
    Darien Noella
    Veldrin
    Shadow Chick
    Tiamat
    Mollusken
    Shralp
    Extremist
    BTA (I know, he's around...I just haven't chatted with him in eons)
    Herf
    Erran
    Baldak (he may be in RP - but I don't check all the boards)
    Satiana Fearbringer
    Avarahtar
    Capt. Tripps

I know I'm missing people...But they're some of the more memorable oldies.

9. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Hehe... I am one month 'older' than Harbourboy and check the post count; as he said, when I got here there were already lots of excellent content (the main reason why I joined :grin: ) and also, there were lots of people who already knew much more than I thought I knew from games so I didn't had much more to add to the great comments that people did (besides, my English never helped me that much)

I think that people like us :geezer: were getting more and more private (familiar) responsabilities (as me) so I guess that's one of the reason for some people not to be able to post anymore. I know that today kids have much more free time than us.

10. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well... maybe some of the people who knew the 'old guard' fairly well can invite them all to drop by again... I know I'd like to meet those memorable people, even though I'm pretty much a noobie myself. I definitely am from after the Gold Age.

Maybe there's also a possibility to start some sort of BG revival of sorts - maybe MP sessions or something? I do share the feeling SP isn't nearly as lively as it used to be when I was a newcomer, which is as little as a year and a half? that long ago already? maybe I'm confused.

Anyhow, maybe that'll help a bit. Of course, all the :geezer:s can also enjoy themselves bringing up memories of the good ole' days :p

:borg:

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

SP does still rock though. Look at how you can still have a lively debate on BGII party composition even though that has been done to death a million times already - people still have interesting points of view on it.

12. chevalier

Media:
    LKD seems to be back. August 2002, that's quite old. Any news from Extremist?

And no one mentions Scarampella. She seemed to be a regular poster when I joined, and one of the most easily noticeable people. And Yerril. Haven't had that much interaction with Sniper or Marnix but those two are well-remembered from what I know.

@sir Bel: Av is quite active in the FAI.

And it looks like Ara's joining date is October 2001. That's ancient. January 2002 for Vukodlak, with a healthy thousand posts. Perhaps that's not a lot and I don't remember him from the FAI (at least under the same nickname) but I'm sure I can recall disagreeing with him on something in the Alley... Shell's previous account would have been old. December 2001 for dmc, another ancient one. Right, and May 2002 for Spellbound. Sorvo is an ancient bastard with September 2001, but he doesn't post anymore, just the FAI and not so often as before. Which would be constantly. :D

[ February 17, 2006, 01:26: Message edited by: chevalier ]

13. Taluntain

Media:
    A few more names I don't think have been mentioned yet: Duke Eltan, Faerus Stoneslammer, ToTaL, Kovalis Darkfire, Viking, Greenlion420, Xei Win Toh (sp?), TBR, Nobleman, Deviant ArchMage (?), Wildfire, Septic Yogurt... But I'm doing a bunch of others a disservice since I can't recall everyone.

14. chevalier

Media:
    Faerus. Yes. It's been a long time. I liked him. I can recall Kovalis but I've always seen his as the confused one and from some distance. ;) Never had direct interaction, or not too much. Nobleman chimes in from time to time I think. Kick his arse from me when you spot him. We still haven't had that beer. What's Wildfire? He's always been returning since I joined. Xei was one of the major random babblers. Septic was nice to talk to. I had a positive impression of Duke Eltan and Greenlion420, pity those guys aren't around anymore. Ah, and September 2001 for Aikanaro. Quite a healthy 4400 posts and still active in the FAI, if not as easily noticeable as before. And Faragon seems to be missing.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yay, I got remembered :p

I can only think of one who hasn't been mentioned: Shura, how I wish he hadn't chucked a hissy fit and left...

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hey, I was around back in the days when Tal went around as a pink dragon and ara was just a gibberling too :p

I had a weird nickname though "R'syil" and I left for a while and had to change it when I came back because:

1) My old e-mail account was deleted and I forgot the password :rolleyes:

2) People were'nt sure if I was a guy or girl :|

17. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Enagonios wrote:
    We STILL don't!! :p :grin: :spin: :roll: :rolling: :eek: :lol:

Heheheeheheheeheheheeheheheheheheeheheheee

18. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Most of those names do ring a bell, especially Mathetais and Extremist. These days I can't find the time for internet boards myself; I hope that to change in the future. Come another BG2 and I'm back in for sure. ;)

19. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

If you want Xei Win Toh back, I can always tell him over MSN. Added him once because we're both swedish, the same age, and play basketball, but I've only chatted with him once.

As for the others, if you realy want them back, just mail them, but try to make it sound like you aren't *that* desperate.

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

As a member of the "old guard," I can echo Mesmero's sentiments. I too miss the old days. SP is a much different place nowadays, and I must say that I don't care for the new vibe as much.

Since a few others have made lists of people that are missed, I'll add to it:

Matheais
    Extremist
    BTA
    Shadow_thief/Goddess/Chick
    Eze

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.