1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Russian Hero is reburied in National soil

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Svyatoslav, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4305142.stm
    Russia reburies Tsarist commander
    A Tsarist general who led forces against the communist army in Russia's civil war has been reburied in Moscow in an act of national reconciliation.
    General Anton Denikin led the White Army in its fight back against the 1917 Bolshevik revolution leaders.

His remains and those of philosopher Ivan Ilyin, and their wives, were transferred from their graves in the US and Switzerland for the ceremony.

They were buried with full military honours at Moscow's Donskoi monastery.

The leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Alexei II, praised the reburials as a sign that divisions within Russian society caused by the 1917 revolution were at last being bridged.

"Today's ceremony testifies to the unification of our people, divided by the tragic history of the last century," he said.

Dying wish

Film director Nikita Mikhalkov, who heads the Russian Cultural Foundation, said the reburial marked the "beginning of bringing the horrible civil war to an end".

Gen Denikin fought under Tsar Nicholas II in World War I.

During the bloody civil war that followed the revolution, he was one of the leaders of the White Russian forces, anti-communist conservatives with backing from Britain, France and the US.

Their attacks against Leon Trotsky's Red Army were rebuffed and the Whites were driven back to the Black Sea, the Baltic and the Pacific - causing hundreds of thousands of White soldiers and civilians to emigrate.

Gen Denikin fled to Europe and died in exile in the United States in 1947.

"The last words of my father in the American hospital were 'I will not live to see Russia free'," Spanish news agency Efe quoted the general's daughter Marina Denikina as saying. She attended the ceremony on Monday.

Ilyin was an anti-communist philosopher who also fled the communists.

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Each nation has its share of heroes, and it's great that a hero you obviously respect has been reburied where you want. I'm compelled to throw in a yoda quote and say "wars do not make men great" but truthfully speaking I do not believe that much in it myself since my personal favorite historical Finnish figure is C.G.E Mannerheim who in three wars (Finnish Civil War, Winter War and Continuation War) played a major role in securing our independence and freedom.

3. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

You serious? I absolutely hate that guy! I am joking dude. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.