1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RuneScape

Discussion in 'Playground' started by kuemper, Feb 17, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've seen a couple people other than myself playing this online game. No, I'm not trying to convert anyone to play it. I want to talk with other players about the game without relying on a 50 character wide chat window. :p

I got hooked through my husband. He was playing it and I thought, this is the stupidest game I've ever seen! Well, opinions vary and mine did. I play it daily now and my membership is increasing the fun. More skills to develop and better way to develop freeplay skills (Prayer anyone?). My Archery is going up because I can fletch my own arrows (up to adamant tyvm :D ) and bows (yew shorts, but I bought a magic short).

I'll gladly help with questions if I can. Hope to see someone other than me (and a detractor or two) posting. :thumb:

2. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I got hooked for a while back in the day :p ...I was looking for something to do and at that point I used to go to "Miniclips.com" daily, so I tried RS. I don't play so often now, but I do go back occasionally, I'm not a member so I have to stick to the basics :D

Its an ok game, and I've found a few decent people to talk to, but I kinda escaped the addiction...because this game is addictive! For some reason killing some cows for the hide, running to a tanners then making some leather hats and selling them, then repeating the process is actually fun!...

...hmmmm...I want to play it now...by the way my characters name is "morham0" incase you'd like to add me :p ...and give me free stuff :D

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

This is the most evil soul sucking game I've ever played. I was addicted to it in year 8 ... until I realised what a horribly pointless waste of time it was. My friends were also addicted, and far worse than I. Having cured myself from the game, it was quite disgusting to watch them going about the eternal wank that is that game (they were part of t3h |337 h4xx0r crowd - who stole people's accounts, cheated, etc.). Playing Progress Quest is a more worthwhile activity than playing this game.

[/rant]

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

/checks Aikanaro's name off list

With that out of the way... :grin:

I don't know why I like playing it. I dislike PKing, people in general and people who beg. This game is ripe with all of it. Then again, I'm not playing it to increase my social meter. ;)

I was chopping yew trees last night with a level 3 'power woodcutter' - all this guy did was cut trees. Those people have dedication. :eek: After a few hours of cutting wood, fishing, etc. I'm bored and need a distraction.

5. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I spent 3 months last year playing that game, and yes it was addicting. But I too freed myself from the game to get my life back. I checked back last month and noticed a whole bunch of changes.... there's no way I'm going to keep up with those.

I had a few friends who played the game with me, and they brought me into Runescape. But they all left, so I lost interest too. I just finished all the nonmember quests and quit.

I'm not a PK'er either. I thought the funnest part of the game was cooking all sorts of neat items and forging equipment... but in the end, things took way too much time, it gets boring, and all you get for your efforts is in-game money that I do not value.

I'm "Bloggarg" if I ever check my account again.

6. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Runescape has destroyed lives.
    I knew one guy in my secondary school that got so addicted to it that he actually started skipping school to play it.
    skipping school.
    Of course, most people aren't as moronic as he was, but it can be pretty damaging to your social life if you happen to be particularly MMO-sensitive.
    I've never really had much interst in MMOs personally, since I find MMORPGs in general to be pointless level-fests and teenagers insulting you with every key on their keyboard except the ones with letters on.

7. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I used to play it, a few years ago, but then my internet died, shortly after the release of the 3d beta. I was unable to play it for about eight months, when I came to university. Then I found out that I couldn't play any game online because of the way the network was set up. Alas. I did have membership, and managed to hit level 60-ish, and had some nifty stuff. I was about to do the Legends Guild quest; all I needed to do was cook the lava eel thingy.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Yup, plenty of teens play it at school. This is what they're doing with tax dollars? :nuts:

If I don't like what other RS players are saying, I put them on my ignore list (quite lengthy). Some get reported for nasty/racist comments and general rule breakage. When it gets very bad, I turn off the main chat.

@Mediocre Man - I'd prefer RuneScape as my addiction than the other addictions I've replaced it with. :grin:

9. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Ah, RuneScape. I first started playing that game in 01, december if I'm not mistaken. Became a member then I quit, and then returned and became member again. Still am a member but since I found Guild Wars I have quit it. After so many years of play you get bored of it, not to mention all the annoying kids in there.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Little snook discovered this game first and now he is spreading his addiction to myself. Mrs. Snook thinks we are both crazy.

11. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I used to play it, but graduated to bigger games, like FFXI.

Kuemp, you might find that wodcutter was using a trainer. I know guys who used them in RS

12. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I tried it for a while but got tired of the repetitive nature of the game. I would go online and repeat an action over and over for a couple of hours and then return again the next night for more of the same crap.

I did find some entertainment in some of the conversations. One person was bragging that he (or she) was the real Snoop Dog. Considering that we were using one of the free servers and the fact that RS isn't exactly a "gangsta" game, I found it quite funny that anyone would think that s*** was believable.
    I also remember thinking how funny it was that a bunch of people were so surprised at finding other Canadians around them. Maybe they didn't notice that the server was Toronto based. *shakes head*

Well the icon is still on my desktop but I can't say I have any real interest in going back to it. I think I'll go play BG2 for a while.

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Jagex updated a lot of the game. Falador is now white! :eek: I guess the womenfolk of the town got sick of all those soot covered buildings. :lol:

There are several quests which have hilarious cutscenes in them. Romeo and Juliet has been updated. Romeo is actually good looking now and you get to meet the cousing of Juliet's he runs away with! Also, you go with the hapless schmuck to the family crypt to rescue Juliet.

Garden of Tranquility has you 'acquiring' statues for the queen of Varrock's garden. The scene of the Falador guards is funny as hell. I laughed for 5 minutes; gut-wrenching laughter.

The Forgettable Tale of a Drunken Dwarf gives you insight to the drunken dwarf random event (he gives you a kebab and beer if you talk to him). During the course of this quest, you find out things you shouldn't and are caught by the bad guys, who have a spell cast upon you. Now you go to the dwarven bar and swap stories with drunken dwarves about those pecky 'danshing kebabsh'.

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I used to play... when there were under 1000 people playing. It was quite fun for a while... I think my character is level 70 now, but I haven't played in years. I stopped when he did the first graphic change update. The old graphics were far better, I think. These look to blocky and fake.

Eh, it was fun while it lasted.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Saber, you can still play RS with the old graphics. Really old players from when the game first came out can access Classic RuneScape with the original graphics, or so I'm told.

16. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I think that Runescape Classic is just the old game, saved as it was before they upgraded it, hence the characters of the people who played the 2d version will still be on the servers.

17. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I played it when the server (not servers) crashed with over 400 players and 200 was a lot. It was fun back then.

Not so anymore. Started playing NWN online, never looked back.

18. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    I played it for about two years, starting from classic... At first it was fun to compete with my friends whose character was the best. :) I never really bothered to become a member. The free quests were boring, and from what I heard, the members' quests were not so different. It was all about getting more xp and occasionally going to defend my honour in the wilderness. I started thinking "to what end?" and sold my lvl 94 character to the first bidder. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.