1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rugby to replace church service

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Harbourboy, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] Now, I really couldn't decide whether this fitted into the AoDA or the Colosseum so I went here just to be safe.

This story ( http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10352414) from the front page of today's NZ Herald is about a church in New Zealand that is planning to replace its usual Sunday morning services with live coverage of the All Black rugby matches from their tour to Great Britain. The church figures that everyone is going to be watching the rugby anyway so they might as well screen the games on their big screen. They will hold their Sunday services on Friday instead.

Questions:
    1) Does this sound like a good idea?
    2) Will it get more people to come to church?
    3) What sort of church has a big screen TV to start off with?
    4) Who says rugby isn't a religion in New Zealand?

2. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A lot of newer churches, especially the mega ones in suburbs here in the U.S. might have quite fancy audio/visual systems with wide screen TVs/projectors that they do Powerpoint slide shows on for the liturgies and songs.

Not so sure if it's a good idea. Maybe that's why Saturday evening vigil mass counts as a Sunday attendance for Catholics.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

NZ must be one of the few places in the world where a major sporting event even occurs on a Sunday morning. It's because some of our most important sports involve competing against countries on the other side of the world.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Why not choose a different hour on Sunday for the Sunday service?

5. Harbourboy

Yeah, I wondered that as well. Surely it would have more sense to have the service just after the rugby finished, seeing as everyone was going to be there anyway.

6. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Because on Sunday afternoons all the Kiwis from as far east as Brandywine to as far west as the Far Downs are on the road to Hobbiton for some genial storytelling, pipeweed smoking, and apple-dunking...

7. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Not all of them, Bion... they had to source the Uruk-hai hordes from somewhere, you know! :p

(just kidding, HB!)

8. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

"NZ must be one of the few places in the world where a major sporting event even occurs on a Sunday morning. It's because some of our most important sports involve competing against countries on the other side of the world."

the US also has a major sporting event on Sunday. Football(not soccer)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  9. Harbourboy

Yeah, but I bet it's not on at 7am on Sunday.

10. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I'm with Chev: Can't they schedule services for early in the morning, and then have the game at around 1 or 2? Unless their service lasts all day...

11. Harbourboy

You can't change the time of the game! It's LIVE on TV.

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Too right! Sport is much more important than religion. Why is there even a debate?

Looks like the All Blacks have got the wood on GB so far anyway... getting a good lead going and had one try disallowed.

13. Harbourboy

Barmy! That's not the All Blacks! That's a rugby LEAGUE test that's being played right now! I thought you at least would have got that one right.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    It's GB vs NZ, that's good enough for me :lol: .

Are you on about the union tour? Bloody hell, I never even knew NZ were touring the UK in union! Be interesting to see how the new look England do.

GB are pulling this back by the way! 2 tries straight into the 2nd half, that's just what the doctor ordered.

[ October 30, 2005, 11:07: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

15. Harbourboy

We're not really 'touring' the UK. It's just the UK leg of the League "Tri-Nations" tournament. GB will be playing Australia next. We've already got one miracle win over Australia.

Anyway, this church thing is about the All Blacks tour where they will be trying to do the Grand Slam which they have not been able to do for years. I bet it's much tougher than the Lions were.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ok, now you have confused me. How will GB play NZ in union?? That's league!

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is not the Colosseum...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.