1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RotK - Extended Edition *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sir Belisarius, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Have you seen the extended edition yet? I got my copy Wednesday, and overall I liked it. Some of the extras were nice to see, others, I would have preferred they kept out. Spoilers are coming, so stop reading now if you don't want to know the extended scenes!
    Saruman's Death - I thought it was pretty weak. Since they didn't have the Scouring of the Shire and the hobbit's stand against the evil of Saruman, it makes Saruman's death kind of pointless to watch. Plus, when Saruman died, they didn't show his ghost look west, then dissapate...Pretty weak.

Houses of Healing - I liked seeing this. It helps explain why Faramir and Eowyn were so chummy at the coronation. It fit the well into the movie.

Gandalf's confrontation with the witch king - The movie definitely needed this, but I thought it should have taken place at the main gate like in the book. The image of the Witch King standing in front of Grond, while Gandalf faces him down - would have looked great on screen! The movie version makes Gandalf look weak and feeble - when in reality he's probably the most powerful character in the movie! Weak.

The Mouth of Sauron - Pretty cool except for Aragorn dishonorably cutting his head off! I thought the whole scene was cool up until he did that. I mean, he's the good guy, and soon to be King! To ride past the Mouth of Sauron, and cut his head off in a backswing, just doesn't seem like something he would do. Otherwise, the Mouth of Sauron was awesome!!!

Alternate fight for Aragorn at the Black Gate...It's not in the film, but it's in the appendix. They shot scenes of Aragorn fighting Sauron's avatar at the Gate instead of the big troll. Originally, Sauron was going to appear to Aragorn in his Anatar guise from Numenor to try to trick him, but Aragorn doesn't buy it and he changes to the Sauron we saw in the FotR...Then they duke it out. Although it was cool to see - I'm glad it didn't make the film!!!!

I think that's all there was - Let me know if I missed anything!

[ December 21, 2004, 00:18: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Sir Bel - I'm in agreement with your take on the added scenes. On the whole, I really liked the extended version also.

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Trying oh so hard to restrain the Tolkien purist inside of me ... :(

errr ... er ... er ...

*sigh* Can't do it. (same spoilers ahead)

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

I liked the Extended Version as well. But I ended up with a major beef about that that whole Gandalf thing as well.

Overall, I just didn't like how the movie reduced Gandalf to a considerably feebler character than he actually was.

I mean, Gandalf was sent back by Eru himself as the 2nd most powerful being in Middle-Earth. But first, Gandalf almost gets wasted by a pitiful orc during the Siege of Gondor and is saved only by Pippin's intervention. In the Two Towers, its made clear that even the Uruk-hai simply couldn't abide being within Gandalf's aura. Ugh ...

Then the Witch-King thing. *sigh* One of the most uplifting moments in the book, where Gandalf stops the Witch-King and the siege cold at the gate, gets worked around to make Gandalf look like he needs to enter a retirement home. Mind you, the Witch-King's aura and voice with the lifting of his flaming sword was definitely cool. :)

Edit: About the Saruman thing ... To be fair to PJ, that scene is incredibly difficult to convey effectively in a movie medium. Tolkien's mastery of the written word conveys with awesome effect the sheer power, subtlety, and magnetic quality in Saruman's voice. No matter how good an actor Christopher Lee is, or how advanced todays audio technologies are, there was simply no way to convey the power of that confrontation as well in a movie. So all in all, I accepted that scene for what it was worth.

[ December 19, 2004, 08:49: Message edited by: Beren ]

4. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I agree with you Beren, a lot of the subtleties from the book can't be translated to film form. In Tolkien's works, words have power, as does the past history of Middle Earth. And today's audience doesn't understand these powers, that's why it needs explosions and wicked head choppings and such...

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

*sigh*

Gandalf....

He's one of the most powerful wizards in Middle-Earth, yet he doesn't fight with magic?!?!
    Sad, what this world has become, when a wizard can't even use his magic. Especially since he lost his staff to the Witch King. Good scene, but I agree, he looked like he needed to be in a wheelchair (from age) instead of on a horse.

On the other hand...

The Mouth of Sauron was awesome! I thought they should have had an actual duel between Aragorn and the Mouth, and THEN Aragorn could have sliced his head off, cause at least it would be in a duel.

And I loved the scene with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli taking over the mercenary boats. Sweet Cameos! (Peter Jackson was the one who got shot, and the main dude was the director of something or other)

6. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well I haven't read the book (I've only read the first two :eek: ) so I can't really complain about it.
    I liked most of the scenes, especially the drinking contest betwen Legolas and Gimli :beer: and the mouth of Sauron looked pretty cool.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh dear, you really should read the rest of the series. Some of the most stirring scenes I have ever read in print are in that book, not least the arrival of the Rohirrim at the siege of Minas-Tirith. Horns, horns of the North blowing wildly.....sends a shiver down my spine.

8. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I really loved the mouth of sauron! I think the decapitation was kind of funny actually, but who is me? I must still watch the 2 other disks...

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Honestly, I disliked the LotR books, as they were filled with pages of useless description that bored me witless. And yes, many people will now criticize my apparent lack of judgement on books, but in my opinion, they were shoddily made, and shoddily maintained, but good killing grounds, nonetheless...

Oops, heh heh, sorry 'bout that, too much of listening to Korgan ramble...

Well, I don't think the books were very good, and after seeing each movie a dozen or so times, I realize I don't like them very much either.
    Of course, that could just be Orlando Bloom that is contaminating the goodness of them...

10. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

I think I see a bit of pot-stirring there, perhaps a few people will be coming for your head very soon Saber.

Anyway, I haven't actually SEEN the EE yet but I'm planning on buying myself the box set of all 3 EE's for Christmas.

11. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I've been buying the EE's as they come out, and overall I think they make the movies better. There's even an offer in the RotK jacket for a box to hold them all in...So I shelled out the 3 bucks for that.

They better not add anything cool to the 3 EE box set...I'll be annoyed if I have to buy it!

12. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Have you tried reading the Wheel of Time books :p

Is there an EE for The Fellowship of the Ring too?

13. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Evenblade: Yes there is and the Two Towers.

14. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

The movies are not BAD, but they could have been so much better. The visuals are great, actors are okay, music okay, nice effects and so on...

Overall I was disappointed with the films...

When first I heard of the project 5 years ago, I thought "great!", but as some of you mention, It's simply impossible to get everything from the book, and translate into the movie.

Well - Why did they try, then ? Why all the changes ?

I was happy with the way the book ended, and before the movies I had this really clear picture of what was happening. The movies ruined that.

When I recently tried to read the books again, I got so confused, because of all the changes made for the movie...

So, when I saw the EE last week, I couldn't really enjoy it, I knew the ending was 'missing'. And a lot was changed.

I almost turned off when Saruman was killed just in the beginning.. :(

15. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

I think PJ should go back to new zeland with the entire cast to shoot al thje Missing scenes just for the fans. That would be so cool!

But I really liked the movies even with all the changes although I really missed Tom Bombadil and Goldberry and the "Real" dead of Saruman in Hobbit town.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.