1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Romanian Nun Dies From Exorcism!!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by dmc, Jun 25, 2005.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What kind of an exorcism was that anyway? Aren't the holy people supposed to take a more active role? Bound and gagged to a cross with no food... what a way to go.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah ... how exactly does crucifying someone without food or water going to get demons out? Did these people just make up this way of exorcism or something? :-/

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

To my knowledge, casting out Devils does NOT include torture.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

To my knowledge the devil does not exist.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Romania is still largely a very backwards country with the majority of poor/rural population being very God-fearing, superstitious and seeking escape in religion. So for all intents and purposes, this didn't happen in the "modern world" most of us are living in.

After the fall of communism (which suppressed all forms of religion), the country went from one extreme to another, so religion is the dominant power now. Pretty much the same situation as in Poland. It seems that people in most Western European countries simply can't live without being devoted to one extreme or another.

8. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Horrifying. Three days bound and gagged in darkness. How must that woman have suffered. Unimaginable. Best not to dwell on it.

Devils, demons, possessions. To think that Europe is still home to primitives who believe in this rubbish. I just dont get it.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hey there. We don't crucify people around here and we don't have female convents directed by a single male priest. The guy apparently came to the conclusion the nun was possessed because she dared oppose him during breakfast. :rolleyes:

10. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    chevalier, I was talking about the extremes of banned religion vs. overwhelming religion, I didn't say Poles go around crucifying people. :shake: Things such as this aren't widespread in Romania either... but when they do happen, they're just a logical consequence of the state of affairs there.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  13. Taluntain

Media:
    By choice? Oh boy, it's been a while... a long while.

14. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

What do you mean "by choice" ? Did you ever was "forced" to go ?

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well personally I have been forced to go to church with the confirmation of close relatives etc. Not that I have protested much about going but the occation in itself forces you to go there. It would be just plain rude not to be there don't you think?

Anyway about the case at hand. As Tal said Romania is a backward and poor country and in such countries things such as this tend to happen when people are not educated and believe in all sorts of ritualistic stuff.

16. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well the US is full of loony religions people also and its not a backwards country. I never understood why lots of Americans were anti-religious until I seen those TV evangalists when I stayed over there a number of years - those people are unstable at best, and downright dangerous at worst:

"For another $2000, this poor child will walk again by the power of the Almighty and I! HE-AL"

and now this is being exported around the world!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4619733.stm

There is even a tour of N.Ireland

17. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

The major difference is of course that the religious in US rarely go and crucify people in order to banish demons from them. In Romania these sorts of cases might be rare but things such as forced marriages are an everyday fact in that country.

18. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Ummm....Just wondering. Why would the devil tell her she was sinful? If it was the devil, wouldn't he have said something like "Keep up the good work!" or "Attagirl!" Why would he tell her she's on the road to hell?

Organized religion baffles me...

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Arendil, sure... it was expected of all children in our family to go through it at least until confirmation. Which we have, but that's about it. It didn't do us any harm really, if anything, we've learned some worth-while things, but organized religion has never really sucked me in.

20. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The key word here is `rarely' :) This is not an everyday occurence in Romania either. As about US fundamentalists... I think I remember cases when whole sects killed themselves (well, some were killed) rather than let the feds in (Waco, TX, anyone?).

Forced marriages: this is a custom (?) of the gypsy community. Does not happen very often there either. It is against the law, but again, the gypsies say that they are entitled to their own traditions...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.