1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Romance and then dump?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by sorvo, Sep 11, 2001.

1. sorvo Guest

[​IMG] Can you start a romance with one of the three,have sex and then dump her for good. Then meet one of the others(for the fist time)and start one with her?This is my alternative to the patch,It seems more realistic.

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I think you can only have a Romance with one.... You are still an Adventurer, not a Casanova.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think you can do it sorvo's way, provided that you've never had any other potential romantic interests in the party for the whole duration of the ongoing romance.

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm not sure if it is technically possible but it is almost impossible from a practical point of view. The romances take a long time so if you finished one there wouldn't be much time left to get anywhere in a second. Though I suppose there is ToB......

5. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

How do you dump a romantic partner once you've finished her romance? Without any more lovetalks, is it possible to set your romance to 3 anymore?

Even if Viconia leaves your party at the end of the romance her score is still 2, so you wouldn't be able to start another romance AFAIK.

[edit]

Ah, but I've just remembered: if you sleep with Aerie, she will break up with you the next day and set your romance to 3. If that happens, and then you meet Viconia, she may start it up with you. (She *should*, logically, since you wouldn't be committed to anyone else, but the programming may not have taken that unusual circumstance into consideration.) It makes a realistic enough storyline, too.

[This message has been edited by tjekanefir (edited September 11, 2001).]

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] And the answer in almost every case is:

NO!

It is true that once when you finally manage to get real affection from one of the girls, other girls' romances are automatically set to "screwed" state. But ONLY if romance with those was also started!

You don't believe me?
    Here's the extract (rearranged) from Jaheira's script that keeps running again and again for every single turn while she is in the party. You can see there is an obsolete check for case if value of concurent RomanceActive is 2 (not a bug though). Anyway, similar scripts exist for both Viconia and Aerie.
    Code:

Important
    Sorvo probably misasked. You actually DO sleep once with Viconia BEFORE you get her completely. If you dump her at that point, you can still continue to romance another chick. Also, see tjek's post about Aerie.
    In fact, it very much depends on NPC you're romancing at which stage you'll be rewarded with RomanceActive=2.

I think the question should be:
    Once when you finished a romance, can you take another one?

It is not all lost
    As tjek said, if you never started one romance and you want to dump current NPC you're romancing - it IS possible to romance another.
    But watch out - if NPC you're currently romancing is out of the party more then three days of ingame time, that romance gets screwed! This is not the case with Jaheira - her romance gets screwed the very moment you REPLACE her with another (7th) NPC.

Let's say you finished the romance with Viconia. Then you dump her so she waits for you at the graveyard. You can actually start romance with Jaheira - if it wasn't started before.

How will you do it? Viconia romance starts at the very moment you get her in the party for the first time. Jaheira romance starts WHEN you accept job for Shadow thieves. You should actually finish the whole romance with Viccy in chapter 2, then go for Shadow Thieves. It is important to see that you won't be able to romance Jaheira if you go to work for Bodhi.

There are more NPC specific details on this, but I won't bother you. Wait for guide!

Conclusion
    You can't have two ActiveRomance variables at value of 2. The best case is that one romance is on 2 (NPC you dumped) and one is on 1 (NPC you got AFTER you dumped previous one and started that new romance).
    And remember, romance that never started has value of 0 (zero) in RomanceActive.

7. sorvo Guest

Once again I should have elaborated! I want to keep Jaheira in chapters 2 and 3 for the side quests and then dump her for good. Go to spellhold/underdark with viccy and dump her after the first sex scene.Come out of underdark and pick up Aerie to complete romance in TOB.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It will be hard but not impossible.

You mustn't walk into Government District in chapters 2 and 3 until you are ready to go for Spellhold.

Also you mustn't solve the Circus Tent quest until you return from Underdark.

9. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You're going to run into some trouble dumping Jaheira for good, too. Just ejecting her from the party doesn't always cause her romance to terminate. You may need to tell her something obnoxious in the course of a lovetalk to get her to dump you. And the part where Jaheira sleeps with you is the last of her lovetalks, so if you wait till that happens you may not have another chance for her to dump you.

You shouldn't have any problem getting Viconia to dump you after you have sex with her the first time. However, you will have a *lot* of trouble playing Aerie's romance conclusion in ToB if you have sex with her in SoA, since she dumps you (turns her romance off, to 3) if you sleep with her there.

Points to you for originality for deliberately setting out to get dumped by as many women as possible! *laughs*

10. sorvo Guest

I was not going to go all the way with Jaheira(I never liked her from BG1). I just want her XP quests at the beginning. Thanks for the info!

11. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Dump Jaheira after you get summoned before the Harpers (you'll know when it happens, a fight will *eventually* break out). Then dump her. End the romance quickly by being as horrible to her as you can, the horrible answer choices are easy to find. I wonder what would happen if you included all three romance choices in you party....

12. Primus The One Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

They Squabble and bicker all time, They call each other names. Jaheira scolds Aerie all the time and Aerie got to point of call Jaheira a old hag who doesn't even mourn her husbands death. At one point I thought it would come to blows. And they will try to get you to let the other one down easy. Its a pain at time but it adds alot to the whole games. Yep nothing like a good old "Love Triangle" to keep you on your toes. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.