1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Road to UEFA Euro

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Sydax, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] 2 games already and there's no topic about it?
    Yeah, maybe it's too early, but...
    Here are the results.
    France did got their 'revenge' against Italy.
    People in Spain still believe the team is in a great form when they score 4 goals to teams like Liechtenstein, but they seem to fail to see that against some real teams they do nothing.
    England did... one goal to Macedonia while Germany scored 13 to... San Marino.

I still wonder what teams like San Marino are for, to see which team scores more goals to them?

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

N.Ireland beaten Spain. That was surprising.

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Results of the latest round N.Ireland coming back frombehind twice to beat Spain, Scotland winning in Lithuania, and Andorra scoring a goal.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    England lose to NI it's 'omgwtf haha' from everyone.

Spain lose to NI it's 'oh, that's quite surprising'.

As for our game we played a bit wank against Macedonia, but fair play it's a hard place to go and a win is a win at the end of the day.

I think small teams like Andorra, San Marino, Faroe Islands etc. should all play in their little own qualifying-to-qualifying group, so big teams don't have to **** about wasting their time playing games against them. They should be whittled down in their own little qualifying group before they cna qualify with everyone else

5. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ah, come on. For San Marino and the like those qualifying games are the only opportunity ever to play against a big side.

The UEFA is right to keep them in, otherwise the exotic touch would go completely amiss, and then the qualifying rounds would be nothing more than a stretched out version of the end round.

6. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Congrats, Cúchulainnn. Your countrymen deserved to win the match. :thumb:

7. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Trouble is, these small countries lives for beating a bigger country (in football). One could add that great football nations should be able to win a group even if it contains Luxembourg or such.

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

We only won 0-1 in Luxemburg, they even had a few good chances to score. Holland look awful at the moment, and i'm starting to doubt v. Basten's common sense after kicking v.Bommel and v.Nistelrooy from the team. True, they didn't perform as expected in the WC, but then again...everyone failed miserably against Portugal, except they get the blame for the whole team's screwup. looks like they're not coming back while v.Basten's in charge, which seems to me that his ego is bigger than his brain. I already had my doubts after he completely ignored veterans like Seedorf and Davids, but this is just insane. Our team is younger and more inexperienced like they have ever been before, and isn't going anywhere if changes aren't made very soon. Our 3-0 win over Belarus doesn't blind me for that.

So we are now 6 out of 2, 100% score, but i fear for the near future.

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I don't like how stuff are starting to look in Italy, but I do not doubt they'll qualify for the EC. They'll take points in pretty much every single game and then they'll take revenge at France in Rome.

And BA, if it's of any concidilation(sp?), I DID laugh at Spain. The way Sweden is playing, I really hope Spain play as bad as or even worse against Sweden as they did against Northern Ireland.

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Spain lose wasn't too much of a surprise; with the same old coach with the same old style and the same old 'friendships', it was just a matter of little time until a lose like this.

11. Da Rock Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Do you know how many games San Marino has won in their ENTIRE history?
    One (out of 80).
    Count it (v Liechtenstein - who themselves have an "impressive" 7 wins out of 92).
    In those 80 games, they have only scored 14 goals. What use is that to the players, the manager and the country where there are low expectations of scoring, let alone winning?
    I agree with Barmy Army - they should have their own pre-qualification league for 2 reasons:
    1) These teams may actaully start winning games, which increase confidence and expectation that an upset may actually occur (if they reach the "Big" League),
    2) It would reduce the number of fixtures in the already over-congested season.

12. DarkStrider

But more important than how many games they've won in 80, how much revenue have they made by playing the big teams, and if you are going to stop them playing for that money, how are you suggesting it's replaced? That's why they play the games not because of trying to make the little teams better, but because the TV deals UEFA and others make to show the games live, Money talks.

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Too bad for them then, how much money do you think our stadiums generate when low flying teams like San Marino or Luxemburg are visiting ? Noone really cares for matchups like that, they are the only games for which you can get tickets without going through a lot of hassle. They should make groups of countries that have an A status, B status, etc... just like in icehockey.

14. DarkStrider

You're missing the point pac man it's not filling your stadiums that matter, it's the TV rights, that's the money that talks that goes into millions.

15. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Another crapy game for Spain and a great match by Sweden guys.
    When Spain got kicked out of the world championship, everybody blame Raul, journalist and people wanted him out of the team; now he scored 3 goals with Real Madrid and everybody want him in... Now people blame the coach for not taking him, while 2 weeks ago everybody wanted Raul out.

How about Macedonia? They survive England!

Here are the results:
    http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/qualifying/index.html

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought Sweden were down and out and we do something like this. Most of our "stars" decided not to show up and we picked out good old fashioned teamwork and guts. Not two usually very average football players who apparently for some reason decided to be of world class all of a sudden (Hansson and Elmander).

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Survive, Sydax? I'd say they did enough to deserve the victory.

England we very poor. We had no ideas. No invention. The game was boring, like watching paint dry. That's the most depressing thing. McClaren's era is going to be just the same as Erikssons. It's so frustrating being an England supporter...!

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, how about you start blaming the players instead of the coaches. English footballers just dont seem to care enough to actually deliver in the national squad. The guy who is a world star in his club is mediocre in the national squad.

For Sweden it is often he other way around, we got guys who are quite mediocre for their clubs and then stand up and play like giants for the national team.

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    You have to have a team that works well together though. A lot of our players get picked on their name, rather than their form and usefulness to the team.

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Okay. Italy won, Spain lost, North Ireland drawed, France lost, and Poland won. Couldn't get much better than that.

Actually, it could. Ireland's loss was a complete failure.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.