1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RIP Chiquito Negro

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, May 17, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    My 7 year old son has just experienced one of lifes major lessons. Chiquito Negro, his little blackbear hamster passed away in his hands about 1/2 hour ago. It was sad for all of us but I can't imagine a better way that he could have experienced the death of his first pet. The little hamster was 2.6 years old and his black fur was beginning to turn grey. In his life he escaped three times for wonderful adventures in our night-time house. People say that hamsters are dumb but he was smart enough to elude our mouser-cat on each of his adventures. The fact that his stomach ruled him made it a little easier to catch him on each of those occasions.

Tonight I was lucky enough to find him before he passed on. We all got a chance to hold him before he died and I'm pretty sure that the familiar smell of our hands gave him a lot of comfort as he was dying. It is so amazing that such a tiny little creature could have such a large effect on our family. RIP little fellow. We love you.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

True, true. I had a rat about a year ago, which I had inherited from my ex. I had the fella for nearly three years, and he died of old age. He was pretty damn intelligent, and I also won't forget all the times he helped me score a few brownie points with woman :heh:

I have often thought of buying another, but then again it wouldn't just be the same.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Aww. :aww: Poor little guy.
    So are you going to get another one?

4. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Waiting a while before getting a new one would be a good idea, otherwise the lesson is completely negated. You just larn that if something dies you replace it with a new one- not a good lesson.

STill, my commiserations. I learnt this one four years agowhen my puppy died...

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Errr....IIRC, 'Chiquito Negro' means 'small/little black'...

Sorry to hear that the little dude died. Hamsters are the only rodent I can tollerate. :sosad:

But I have to ask...is your cat's name 'gato borroso' or could it be 'un gato calibrado medio'? :shake: :rolling:

[ May 17, 2006, 10:59: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sad to hear this. My condolences to all.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Poor hamster. He's with Boo now, eating crackers in the great berserker lodge of Heaven. :cry: He'll get to play with my 2 hamsters, George and Colt.

8. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Ah :sosad: my condolences to all, and as you say Dfly a life lesson learned for your son hopefully

9. Dice

Media:
    Thanks all for the kind words. Actually we are waiting a few days before we go and get a gerbil. Today I'm going to get a little wooden box which my son with decorate for the coffin and we will have a little cerimony in our yard when he gets home from school.

@Kitrax
    Actually her name is Ghosty. I've had my cat
    longer than my Mexican speaking husband. BTW, did you get your translation from Babblefish? ;)

10. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Sounds like the wee fella had a good home.

11. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I'm sure he is happy in the Hamster heaven with Boo! I'm sure your son was a great Berserker Ranger to the wee fella :shake: Anyway My condolences seriously loosing a pet is awfull.

12. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

I remember my first hamster Bob. He was about 6 when he escaped for the final time. We never found him but there was a foul smell coming from the mouse hole in my closet for about a week.

My condolenses on the wee rodents death. May he FINALLY find that huge cedar-chip pile in heaven.

13. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

I hope your son is faring okay Dragonfly, my condolences.

14. Kitrax

Media:
    No...I forgot how to say 'A medium sized cat'...so I googled for a free online translator...So I'm not suprised if it's wrong. :p :rolling:

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Chiquito means little boy, and Negro means black, so his name was "Little Black Boy."

I am sorry to hear about him :bad:

16. Dice

Media:
    Well I found a lovely little wooden box yesterday and it fit him just perfectly. When my son got home from school he did a very nice job of decorating it and he even drew a little picture of Chiquito Negro on it. Before I went shopping I had been chatting with a nice old neihbour lady who happens to love gardening. She gave me a plant that likes shade. So when we buried the little hamster I planted the plant over him.

Although it is sad to lose a pet, I feel that it couldn't have happened a better way. My son learned about death but he also learned about caring. Giving comfort to his little pet while he was taking his last breaths taught my son an important lesson in love. This morning I checked on Chiquitos plant and it is growing beautifully in its new location.

@ Kitrax - I believed you called my cat Blurry which is oddly close to her real name if you think about Ghosts sometimes being blurry :lol:

@ Saber - Actually chiquito means "little", the "o" at the end of chiquito indicates that it is masculine. His name translated is just "Little Black"

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Chiquito comes from the word Chico (boy). When you add -ito to the end (in this case changing the co to qu), it means small + the original meaning of the word. Small Black would be Negro Pequeno (the n has ~ over it, but I don't know how to do it on this school computer).

Of course, I could be wrong... I am not fluent in spanish (still taking it). Are you?

We've had to lose 3 guinea pigs and a few bunnies, so I am familiar with the burial process. I am glad your son was able to learn from it... my sisters still haven't (currently ages 13 and 18 :rolleyes: ).

18. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

We've had quite a few animals over the years. I had two hamsters up until very recently, now I have only the one. It's sad when they go, but mine have always lived for a very long time, my first was a Russian dwarf, with a lifespan of approximately 18 months, whom I had for nearly four years.

19. Kitrax

Media:
    O.o Opps...I was aiming for 'fuzzy'... Oh well, you get the idea. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.