1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RIAA - Will the madness end?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ofelix, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Another example

Now the RIAA is against Limewire, for «actively facilitating, encouraging and enticing computer users to steal music by failing to block access to copyright works and building a business model that allows them to profit directly from piracy»

Sigh...

I wonder if one day the RIAA will sue the internet, or music istself or even God! :rolleyes:

[ August 05, 2006, 15:28: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What do you think would be the perfect model under which artists could be fairly compensated for their work?

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The RIAA again? F***. Those idiots will stop at nothing, it would seem.

Hell, MP3 downloading has allowed me to get to know a lot of artists which I've later bought albums about.

****ing morons.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Harbourboy - I'd say a good way would be to make buying legal copies a viable option. There doesn't seem to be much incentive to spent money on a CD unless a) you like packaging, or b) you think that the current law is a good thing. It's asking you to throw away heaps of money out of the goodness of your heart basically - give us a reason to buy the music and maybe more will do so (making it less expensive would certainly be a start...).

I also read once an article on alternatives to the current system - one of them which I thought sounded viable was a pledge system where - if you wanted a certain band to make another album you'd pledge money towards it which they get when they release it. So if a band wanted they could set a minimum pledge amount of however much and then release their new album when they had that much pledged towards it.

Not that bands get much from music sales anyway AFAIK - mostly it comes from touring.

Regardless - I think almost anything is going to be better than the current system where (for example, no idea how many in reality) 30% of people are criminals. Anything that makes such a large group of people criminals is an outdated law...

Failing this; we can always abolish capitalism :p

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

RIAA is fighting a losing battle, and I'm proud to be their enemies here.

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    One thing is that the sort of piracy RIAA keeps "cracking" on is the sort of piracy tha is not piracy per se cause no one is getting profit from it - when John Doe downloads a song from Jane DOe, who exactly gets money? Other than maybe John's ISP when he decides to get a beter-speed connection, no one. No one is profiting form it, ffs.

*puts on her eyepatch* Arrr.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Actively by failing? Dmc, please tell me not all lawyers are such morons there. Please. :rolleyes:

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

They aren't morons, exactly... Just a bit "biased." You know: they must wipe out or at least damage all P2P traffic as much as they can for the benefit of Warner Bros, Disney, Universal, and so forth.

Arr! See you on the pirate bay, mate!

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hoo boy. I see mass court cases here. Then appeals. More money lining lawyers' pockets... Chev, you seriously need to move to the US. You'd be a billionare by now :p

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Seriously, lawyers in the common law countries seem to be in need of good academic formation apart from practical training in inns and law schools. :p Less technicality, more general idea and some errr... common sense. "Actively by failing," is something a lawyer would be laughed at here (or off the court, actually). Let alone in the university circles. :p

11. Register Gems: 29/31

Yarr, I be one of the seamen there, hit me up sometime. I'm also an active member of the Swedish Pirate Party, so we're growing in power, arr.

Yarr.

:pirate:

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm not seeing very many alternatives being suggested here, just a lot of complaining about sticking it to the man.

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I had trouble understanding what theymeant really by that.

Yes, my thought exactly

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Downloading music is so early 2000s. I'm more worried about the MPAA as movies is where it is at.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.