1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RIAA wants to reduce artists' royalties

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Dec 9, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Not only is the RIAA bent on screwing customers out of their sweet cash and dreaming about the ability to order you to kick your family out of the room when you are listening to the music, but it also wants to reduce the artists' royalties. Of course, the evil organisation still has the guts to blame file sharing for harming the artists. :rolleyes:

Linky.

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Holy ****, I hate this guys... they are the biggest hypocrites in the world! Suing people because "its not fair to the artists" to pirate music while they go ahead and pay them nothing. Considering they already only pay the artist 1 dollar for every 16 dollar CD, I would not be surprised that with this, every artist dropped the RIAA. Of course, it won't happen because the RIAA probably contracts the hell out of the artists...

Everyone who shares my hate of the RIAA go here:
    http://downhillbattle.net/

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, technically artists don't deal directly with RIAA, but virtually every label is a member of this trade association...or am I misconstruing things...it's late here :)

And I'm sure Billy Joel, TLC, et alles can tell you how fair and just the recording industry is regarding remuneration deals. :nolike:

Heck, this - at a stretch - is beginning to sound somewhat like 'taxation without representation'. I think the recording industry needs a nice, bloody revolution to clean up this mess that does a disservice to the majority of those who end up involved in the industry (even to simple customers)...

EDIT: Well, here's a coincidence - was skimming YouTube for Weird Al videos to 'rip' and discovered this one which seems strangely topical:
    "Don't Download This Song"

I guess this makes Alfred's view on this quite clear. ;)

[ December 10, 2006, 07:59: Message edited by: jaded empath ]

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I have a question...RIAA jurisdiction only extends to North America, correct?? If I was downloading music in Singapore, Sydney or Bangalore for that matter, would they have any legal say with regard to my illegal activities?

6. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

This is getting unreal. RIAA is like... like... there's not even a word that could fit. Soon to follow: RIAA wants to gouge people's eyes out and smash them senseless with crowbars since they could have seen something illegal.

[ December 10, 2006, 20:07: Message edited by: Goli Ironhead ]

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The RIAA strikes again. Why am I not even the slightest bit surprised, I wonder...?

Those guys are the nazis of the music industry.

Here's something to relieve the frustration:

Hehe.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    If the artists don't like it, they might consider unionization.

No, really.

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Another reason I am a firm supporter of piracy. =) The only people that would suffer from piracy that I'd actually feel sorry for is the artists, but since their incomes are minimal and what they earn is mainly from tours and commercials, I don't feel a bit bad about it. Not in any way.

10. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Nononono - now you're confusing RIAA with the MPAA; RIAA would puncture your eardrums, then beat you sensless...and let's not forget, take your wallet for 'punative damages.' :D

Oh, and I'm beginning to warm up to Register's rationale...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.