1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Restart" glitch?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Enagonios, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] cripes, i dunno whats wrong but everytime i start the game, after a few minutes, it either hangs or my computer restarts. it installed okay and im pretty sure i dont have a virus or anything. i guess what im asking is whether or not i can do something about this or do i have to buy or borrow another frickin BG2? >:/ what a pisser.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    What EXACTLY happens? The computer just re-starts? For an XP user (maybe other windows too) :If so go to control panel. Then to system. Then select the advanced tab. Click on settings under start-up and recovery. Then de-select the button that says automatically re-start.

Next time it happens, you should get a blue screen with an error message.

When this happened to me, the only way I could correct the fault was by going into Bios. Then restoring defaults. I'm not sure what was put out of alignment, but that was my only solution.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Yup, it just restarts. screen goes black, you hear that click that always precedes start-up then it starts up again. crud, i just did that and it STILL, well, automatically restarted. arg.

4. Takara

Media:
    ok. Have you tried deselecting the automatic restart on system recovery?

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

yup. and it STILL restarts. arrrg. do you have any other ideas that may work?

6. Takara

Media:
    hmm... 1. Have you tried re-installing the game, 2. Have you got the latest patches, 3. Do you have any mods installed, 4. Have you tried restoring your bios defaults?

A few things that might help.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

1) yup, i tried reinstalling as full and then as recommended, same problem.
    2) nope, which ones address this?
    3) nope
    4) how?

pardon my ignorance, hehe.

8. Takara

Media:
    np. Latest patches are available here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_misc.php

They might correct the problem.

Bios: upon switching on the power, press the del key on your keyboard. It should put you ino a blue screen menu. In this section there should be an option saying: restore defaults.

Warning: this may remove some tweaks put it, like the boot up order etc. However, it will be restored to the point when you got your PC. This was the only way I sorted my problem out, which means something I dont understand had been changed.

I'd seriously recommend the patches first.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ok thanx dude. im downloading the patch for BG2 now, ill see how it goes.

<edit>

ohh crud. i installed the patch already and it STILL keeps doing it.

[ July 22, 2004, 07:10: Message edited by: Enagonios ]

10. Takara

Media:
    Sounds like it's a conflict with your system, rather than a problem with the game. I doubt any patches will fix this. Did this start suddenly, or is this the first time you've installed the game?

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

it just started now. these cds were fine last time i played but that was like over a year ago. weird..

12. Takara

Media:
    Yeah, sounds kinda like what happened to me. The conflict must be that something has changed your system settings. Either a conflict with windows, or something in your Bios. Are you familiar with how to use it?

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

no, fraid not..

14. Takara

Media:
    You probably havn't changed anything intentionally then. So restoring defaults should not change anything you wanted. I will warn that this isnt a guarentee, and may remove some features added in by anyone setting the PC up.

However, on starting the machine, press del straight away. It will take you into the bios. Select the option restore defaults. If you dont know anything else about PC's dont change anything else. This should remove any changes that might be causing the restarts you are experiencing. This is not a guarentee though.

I only mention this, as I had a very similar problem, which was solved this way. I'm not sure if it occured shortly after installing something. Anti virus springs to mind. Anyway, I did this and the problem went away. I hope it works for you.

15. PsiVen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Errrr. Resetting BIOS to defaults is usually only asking for trouble.

But if that's what you want, you may have to hit F8 or F3 instead of DEL to get to the system setup screen.

Before you resort to messing with BIOS, though, I recommend you make SURE you don't have a virus (updated virus scanner?) *and* check thoroughly for spyware. Spyware is frequently as damaging to system stability as a virus.
    You can get some free spyware hunting programs here (I recommend the first one):

Webroot Spy Sweeper - http://www.webroot.com/
    Spybot: Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    Ad-aware - http://www.adaware.com/

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

crud. i borrowed a friend's copy already and it still keeps restarting. i think it may be a virus or something after all? but why would it affect ONLY BG2? my max payne and BG1 work alright..

17. PsiVen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

By the way, are you using a "supported resolution" ?
    1280x960 has glitchtastic menus and eventually crashes my computer. 1024x may cause problems for you?
    Do you have the latest drivers for your video card?

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

stupid question, but how do i check what my resolution is? nope, i think tis video card is pretty old, but it ran it before..

19. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It's in the BG2 config program.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah, in that case, its on the "Average PC" config. what happens if i do, in fact, have a virus and i restore defaults? is that going to mess up the system even more?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.