1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Reflection of Spellcasting Ability

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by DavidisaDuke, Feb 5, 2006.

1. DavidisaDuke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The main thing that has irked me about RPGs is their levels and that they have a definable limit to them, or a cheese factor that once your character is too great, or that there is too many zeros after EXP, you start over. Well I've always wanted to have a RPG world where each skill is based on actual skill reflect of the player and not just the skill of timed attacks, items, and innate THAC0.

Specifically I'm talking about spellcasting, and that it doesn't really take a big brain to gather the correct spells, nor does it take much practice to time them either. I've always wanted to have the incantation be a set of required inputs, similar in character to that of programming code. Except where the desired effect would be one of comparable spellcasting prowess. Each time the caster "cast" his spell itw ould literally be from his memory, and the spell's potency would be directly from the information/keyboard strokes (or whatever would require escalating skill for escalting potency). I just simply find this better than clickly a button onscreen and dishing out godlike powers.

The main problem in all of this would be to create a sophisticated and balanced system, which I'm not sure is possible, but I'm posting the idea here for kicks. I imagine others have thought of this (as I'm not really uber into d&d anyway).

The physical side for warriors would be more of a pain, I suppose. The only way for true detailed sword and weapon play would be for possibly a neural link, and the new magic system I speak of would have to be balanced against a warrior's prowess as well.

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

No need for a neural link. Simply use the keyboard to control the warrior's movements, and the mouse for the weapon. Do a Google search for "Die by the Sword" and you see what I mean. This game offered by far the best control over a weapon ever. IIRC, there was also a SNES game about a boy magician, where spells had to be casted with button combinations, but I can't recall the name now.

I see two main problems with CRPGs designed this way:

1) This style of games would only appeal to those with good or above-average hand-eye coordination, or with plenty of time to spare memorising and practising all the different key combinations, and mouse moves. I have played Die by the Sword, and it took me forever to manage the most basic movements and parries. In the end, I stop playing it, because the game required a coordination I lacked, and the 'basic' mode offered a very limited number of movements by comparison.

2) The combat system would depend more on the skill of the player than the character. One of the beauties of a real CRPG is that you can play a highly dextrous rogue even if you are completely useless in real life. Or a really strong barbarian even if you can't lift your computer mouse. Dice rolls and stats allow people to build their characters to be the way they want, not the way they 'could be' if their fingers were faster on the keypad.

3. DavidisaDuke Gems: 1/31

Okay, I see what you mean. I suppose this makes sense as it is a ROLE playing game. I still think this magic idea could have it's place in a type of RPG, eventually.

4. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

If we are musing over the idea just for the kicks, as you said, I'd love trying a wizard in a VR game with gloves and a speech recognition system as interfaces. It would be fun to see what kind of havok my clumsy fingers (and dreadful accent) could unleash when I tried to cast the simpliest of spells.

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Look at it from the bright side, a strange accent may be very good for demon conjurations ;) Just make sure you practice protection from evil till you drop.

6. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I am very interested in "free'er" ruleystems myself, begining to feel that "classes" is more a hinderance and limiation than anything else. and entirelly sick of Magic beeing "whaever the previous guy forged together for you".

(attempting blasphemy on this forum now)

you could also try out games like Fallout, Arcanum and Lionheart. All of them have classless systems, and lets you develop your character as you see fit.

It is still limited in magic, and somewhat in stats (but less than the AD&D/D&D games in my opinion).

But doing a completelly palyers skillbased RPG would be, rather dull. At least that would put a complete end to any chance of me ever playing a wizard ever again.

7. DavidisaDuke Gems: 1/31

Maybe, but the wizards who were around would be just what they are in D&D: smart, uptight, and particular :-D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.