1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Re-installing Windows without a CD Drive...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Faraaz, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hey guys, here's a conundrum...

My DVD drive died on me like a couple of weeks ago. It was performing erratically all these days, and finally it has croaked completely. Anyways, I was thinking of formatting my computer and re-installing Windows because I am having a LOT of software problems and what not.

I've done this before 3-4 times, so I know what I'm doing...but it just occurred to me that I don't have a functional DVD drive in my laptop!! :eek:

I do have my Windows CD and Driver installation CD and all that other stuff. Does anyone know of anyway to work around this WITHOUT getting a replacement CD/DVD drive? I have a feeling that I will have to resort to that only, but I thought this was an interesting problem and all you gurus here on the boards might like to see if you could figure something out?? :D

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] Modern PCs and laptops can recognise USB-connected drives during startup and boot from there.

If you have a pen drive, attach it to the computer and restart. Press whatever key your computer uses to allow you to choose the boot drive, and see if the USB is listed as a bootable resource. If it is, you could copy the XP CD there and do your magic.

EDIT: Actually, ignore my post. It seems you can't install XP from a USB device because USB ports are re-initialised during installation. :mad:

[ September 12, 2006, 16:32: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Install Debian/Ubuntu etc from an USB drive (or floppies - you'll just have to start a network install), then install Windows via a WM - for example, WMWare.

It has the advantages of Windows in a virtual machine (safer), but it's considerably slower.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Wow...that's really roundabout...and Taza, wouldn't that essentially be a Linux install with Windows running on it??

So there is no way to create a bootable/installable USB drive ?? Like my 30 GB iPod for instance?

5. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It is just one disk driver (just C:bad:)? If you have partitions, you could copy the CD in one partition and launch DOS mode (F8 key) when starting Windows. Is a lot of work, I've done this before like this: copy the CD (in another computer)to a hard disk, used my Zen Micro as a HD and brought to the laptop on D:bad:, started DOS mode and from there installed from D:bad:(don't format before or it won't boot, when installing it will format).
    Hope it helps.

6. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

@Faraaz: Yes, it would be a Linux install with Windows running on it in a virtual machine. This is also much more secure than just Windows, but Linux's user-friendliness is well-known. Debian would be the best for such light system, but Ubuntu's considerably easier to use if you also want to use Linux for other purposes.

There is also a method to copy the required install files to some other partition and install that way, and possibly a network install option. I don't know the details though, I've always had a CD drive to throw in.

Of course, the easiest solution is just to get an external CD-rom drive.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Taza & Sydax: Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah, I know I'll be best off just getting an external CD-Rom drive...but yeah, as I mentioned earlier, this was a bit of an academic exercise to tell you the truth...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.