1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rare Drug-Resistant HIV Found in NYC

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Feb 12, 2005.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Taken from Yahoo

EDIT

I know this thread kind of died on the vine, but I felt the need to add this from the NY Times

[ February 15, 2005, 18:00: Message edited by: The Great Snook ]

2. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

This will be unpopular, but mankind brought this disease on itself, and until we changes our behavior, HIV will continue to spread and mutate.

We probably will see more and more of this (and SARS, Ebola, and deadly influenzas, etc.) as we continue to globalize the planet. The fact that few people used to travel between regional areas used to keep these things in check, but with people jetting every where, there is no longer a natural quarantine effect.

3. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, there's that, as well as the "antibiotic effect" of modern medicine which could almost be described as "forced evolution for viruses". The weaker strains die, the stronger ones survive and become resistant. The result is that medicine needs to adapt again, with stronger or different remedies, and the cycle repeats itself.

IMO, what sets HIV apart from epi-/pan-demic and lethal infections is that it is infectious for a long time, cannot be detected until a certain stage and the recipient generally doesn't die as a result of it for close to a decade. The only bright side of things like Ebola are that they can be contained quickly, since most victims will die horribly but swiftly. SARS and influenzas are more infectious, and no doubt there will be minor outbreaks as people travel before being fully affected by them, but their lethality keeps them under a measure of control almost by default.

That said, my background is in the humanities - I'm sure someone like Aldeth could be much more informative or constructive about this.

Thanks for posting this, TGS.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    That gave me a weird idea NonSequitur, if the application of medicines causes the virusstrain to become stronger, we can go on as long until we've created a supervirus that is resistant to all but the medicines that would kill the patient as well.
    So by constantly using medicines, we are actually killing ourselves.

5. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

(Wow, Nonsequitur, that sounded like a Fallout reference...)

Morgoth is right... this is rather a bad thing. But, really, AIDS isn't going to spread to most people in the Western world. It's going to die out as the people who have it die out. I can't see it causing more damage after 30 years. Government awareness programs are hindering the growth of it severely, I have heard reported. If the programs in Africa are effective, most of the more advanced portions of Africa will begin the process of eliminating it. As they become more successful, the less advanced portions will either be destroyed, or they'll be able to receive aid which will help them eliminate the transmission of the virus. However, other viruses are becoming more powerful. Influenza, for instance, is becoming more resistant to some of the traditional antibiotics.

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Slith: I only just spotted that, myself... but somehow I don't think we'll be making FEV anytime soon (or at least, I hope not!). I agree with you about the spread of AIDS in Western countries as sexual health has become less of a taboo topic and people are more aware of the potential risks, but it is a serious problem in Africa. I'm more worried about bird flu than AIDS, since I can potentially catch that walking to work or waiting for a train.

@ Morgoth: You'd be surprised, and possibly horrified, at how easily a lethal, drug-resistant bacterium can be created. The antibiotic effect is actually a strong argument for the restricted use of such medicines in treatment (ie: only when needed, as opposed to bed rest and natural healing), as the more frequently they are applied, the faster resilient or resistant strains will develop. As I said, though, I'm no expert on this - my knowledge is second-hand from my father (a physical and organic chemist and food technologist).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.