1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

.rar file help

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Bretwalda, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Bretwalda Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i've downloaded several files with the .rar suffix and apparently don't have what i need to use the files. i've downloaded ieep, ietme, winbiff, character editor, 2da editor. what do i need for .rar files (such as dsotsc mod), and where do i get it? thanks for the help.

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    First of all, since .rar files themselves don't have anything to do with BG specifically, this post is a wee malplaced.

Nevertheless, you need WinRAR to open those. It's a package utility (and it's NOT free) that is used to compress and de-compress files (so that whatever you DL from SP will fill less than elsehow, and so that you can gather more files in a folder).

You can find WinRAR here: http://www.rarlab.com/

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Check the SP FAQ for details about .rar files.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    But it's got a trial period, so you can download all the RAR files you need, unpack them all, and you'll be fine.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Use 7zip: it's free and open source, plus it can handle all the compressed file-types I know of:
    • Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
    • Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM and DEB
    @Tal:
    I've just checked the SP FAQ, and I couldn't find anything mentioning rar files.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You can use WinRAR for as long as you wan't (without paying), you'll just get a nag screen after the trial period is over. There is no other program that can create rar files but WinRAR, so there's really no complete alternative. Especially if you intend to submit content to SP, where rar is vastly preferred to zip.

Morgoth, http://www.sorcerers.net/Info/FAQ/index.php#6

7. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :jawdrop: You mean that I didn't have to pay for winrar!?! GRRR....

*Sigh* You live and you learn, I guess.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Tal, oh that FAQ I was reading the "FAQ" at the top of this page :doh:

9. Taluntain

Media:
    olimikrig, I'd never put files up in a format that would require you to pay for a program to unpack them... or require you to send in stuff in a format that'd require a paid program to make it.

10. Ziad

Media:
    Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious. Tal, is there a specific reason you require the files to be posted as RAR? I'm assuming you want things standardised, and thus having everything as a single file type does make things easier, but why RAR in particular?

Not that I dislike this format, mind you.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Uh... it says in the FAQ linked a few posts up. And on the submissions page at http://www.sorcerers.net/Info/Submissions/index.php

And it's not just RAR. In the past files on SP have been exclusively ZIP, but once RAR has entered mainstream enough, I've switched to RAR wherever I could. And we still get people here who are confused about the format now and then. Anything more "exotic" than RAR is really totally out of the question.

12. Ziad

Media:
    Alright, that makes sense. Thanks :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.