1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question about Star Wars books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Dragon's Jewel, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I can't believe I'm asking this either...
    My boyfriend, who is *much* more into Star Wars than I am, has decided that he wants to try reading some of the books (He's a picky reader.) The only problem is, neither of us can figure out in what order these things are supposed to go, which is the same problem I have with the Dragonlance series.
    So here's my question...
    Are there books that come after the events described in Return of the Jedi that continue on with that specific storyline (that would, I guess be a movie 7 or 8 if they ever made one)? Ones, preferably, that don't center on Hans Solo, as he *hates* Hans Solo. (I'm reserving my opinion on that one.) Or, alternatively, are there any books that would go between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope that have to do with Obi-Wan? Anything would be a huge help, thanks everyone.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

@ Jewel

Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy (Heir to the Empire/Dark Force Rising/The Last Command) and his Hand of Thrawn duology are IMHO the best of the post-Return of the Jedi books. All five are worth a read.

4. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31

@ el
    Thanks! We're on the hunt for them now, and also picked up 'Tales From Mos Eisley' because we've both heard so much about it...

5. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just thought I'd mention that the non-New Jedi Order have the chronological order of them in the back of the book. And since they take place after all the other books, there ya go!

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    and the New Jedi Order books (or at least some of 'em) have the chronological order of all the books and films in the front.

Definitely read Zahn's books, and check out the X-Wing series while you're at it; it's very entertaining (though I find the books Aaron Allston wrote in that series to be superior to the books Michael Stackpole wrote). If you like the X-Wing series, pick up I, Jedi as well.

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    The X-Wing series is superb, even if a single book does have more Han in it than the others... but he is mostly out of the way anyway.

I, Jedi is a definite, expecially since it centers mostly on EYU charadcters and offers some very deep insights into what goes through the head of a Jedi-in-training; hell, my copyt has been re-read at least a hundred times.

And yes, the books have a good timeline-ish thing on their backs - Bantam - or in the front - NJO.

Tales from the Mos Euisley Cantina is good, but so are Tales from the Empire and Tales from the New Republic; in my opinion, Tales from Jabba's Palace and Tales of the Bounty huunters are not as good... but by no means are they bad.

8. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31

Are any of the books that go in-between episodes 1, 2, or 3 any good? He saw one with Mace Windu on the cover and was *VERY* tempted....
    We've both seen a lot of works by Zahn, and he seems to be the most talked about Star Wars author... not to mention that I could swear that I've heard his name before...
    And thanks, everyone!

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I have only read Rogue Planet, set between Epis 1 & 2, and it was not that good.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Zahn's also responsible for a few dozen non-SW SF books; the Conqueror's Trilogy, Cobra Trilogy, Blackcollar series, and a lengthy list of stand-alone books. He picked up the Hugo Award for Cascade Point, a novella.

Might explain why you think you've heard his name before.

11. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I didn't care much for Han Solo before I read the Han solo trilogy, but those books kinda changed my opinion of him. They are among the best SW books I've read. The Boba Fett trilogy was a bit of a dissapointment, he should have been much more of a badass, IMO.

All the tales books are pretty interesting since they give you a bit of a background on the characters in the movies.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.