1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question about SP (mainly to Tal)

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Barmy Army, May 25, 2004.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    My question is, why can't users upload or link their own avatars or have their own signatures? As per every other forum.

This is the only forum I visit that doesn't allow it for some reason.

I understand that, people could upload something that containing nudity or other things unsuitable for the kids of these boards (or some of the moaning adults!). But as long as the admin are strict on what you can use and apply rules on size etc. (in pixels and bytes). Then I don't see why it can't be done!

Would be and interesting addition if we move boards or have a change, as has been discussed. I feel it gives each member that bit more indivualisation :) (is that even a word? :s).

Tell me what you think :)

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

1) Avatar seems to be a priviledge around here.
    2) All avatars are in line. Meaning that there aren't flashy-bang-dang or mega-AXN-strange ones. :D

Other than that, I cannot think any other reasons.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As far as avatars and portraits are concerned - I want to keep the same general fantasy theme with avatars and portraits coming only from games covered on SP. There's really no other reason, just my personal preference to keep a uniform theme throughout the forums. Mixing all sorts of differently sized and themed portraits would spoil the fantasy atmosphere.

As for signatures, see http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html#signature

I might consider giving SPS account holders the option to use signatures, however, once the system is implemented in the new design. Now that pretty much every board has the option for every user to turn them off, it's not as much of an issue any more. Still, allowing it does mean that much more work as we'd have to police the signatures as well to make sure they are acceptable, so this would never be a feature available by default.

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I like it very much it's like this without signatures and custom avatars. The whole forum isnt littered with random links, pictures,... And you simply wont see a post containing a sentance or two, while taking up half the screen with its signature. True, it could be limited, but it's still not nice to see.

However, i do agree on getting more individualism. I wouldnt like to see it at this person's every post though, taking up place in a discussion. Better than that, there could be some space in the profile, just like interests, homepage,... where you could write anything you'd like other people to see when they click on you.
    Definitely not in every post though, and that's another great thing of these Boards o' Magic. :)

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Signatures annoy the hell out of me. Sometimes I cant find the persons post because it's just one line and their signature takes up half a page. It's simply pure egotism, and purely necessary for those who need to make themselves look cooler.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree with Takara and Gothmog. One of the reasons I like SP is the fact that it DOESN'T have any of those silly signatures that light up the whole screen, make it hard to see the actual posts, and add no value whatsoever.

Plus, even if someone's signature quote is reasonably funny, it quickly loses its appeal when you've scrolled past it for the 100th time.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sometimes it's quite conscious advertisement. Most of my site's traffic comes from the signature link in some Polish forum. You can get over 100 hits daily for your page from a small to moderate board if you post generously enough.

Signatures are utter crap when someone starts to put his favourite poems there, or some strange pictures. Others will use it for shameless self-promotion. Custom title is enough for the purpose of getting a personalised line.

Imagine the AoDA with signatures... The bottom of hell.

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Level 9, to be precise. :D While Asmodeus might approve, I doubt Tal would. ;)

9. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm with the majority on this one. Signatures are a waste of time and space, and avatars are a privilege to be earned; not randomly uploaded by every other user.

10. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I agree comletely with the masses. If anyone out there wants to clutter up these boards with pictures and sayings, they have to earn it like the rest of us.

11. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] I agree that the current policy is good and should stay, even if that means no avatar for me. (yeah yeah, I know, I'm a cheap bastard for not earning one :evil: ) It gives a kind of wellordered, very sober feel which tends to be lacking on internet lately.

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Count me as another one who hates signatures. I've seen signatures on other Boards that end up being longer than the posts. Makes it very hard to follow threads.

One idea - people who have portraits/avatars also get to put some text above their picture, but it's limited to, I think, around 40 characters. Perhaps this could be expanded a bit (to say, 60, just to pick a number), and made available to everyone. It would keep it out of the threads, but it would also allow some customization.

13. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Not haveing avatars and signatures makes things a lot easier.

I administrate over at a forum, where we allow Signatuers, we have a size limit, no images larger then 500x500, but that doesn't seem to stop people making insanely huge signatures full of needless text. Not to say I Hate signatures, you just can't trust people with them, they end up getting longer and longer and longer, and then you end up with more repeated signature then actual post. As to Avatars, on my other forums, I like having my own avatar, but here, it gives the whole place a uniform. Occasionally you'll get idiots, who'll push the rules and upload something stupid into their avatar/signature, and then its a waste of the administrators time to have to delete it, warn/ban the indevidual in question. It usually ends up as just an inconvenience to the person who'll have to clean it up in the end.

Plus, I love the idea that the custom avatars are a priviledge, :D It encourages people to donate. If everyone could upload their own avatar, I can imagine a good deal of people wouldn't bother giving anything across to SP.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've seen a signatures in which the admin and the guy had a conversation...*glances at DM*

Anyway, Signatures are pretty pointless.

15. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Damn right!

Signatures = unecessary, stupid, annoying!

SP is great the way it is.

16. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Maybe signitures would be a bad idea. I like changes but I really like this site the way it has been implemented.

17. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

For once, I'll actually agree with everyone: signatures are dumb - avatars are earned and thus give some status to the wearer - thus encouraging more people to do things for SP - like donating or writing or stuff - which is good.
    I do think that everyone should be able to customise the little scrap of text under their avatar/gem - and well you can always leave some scribbles in the profile.
    SP = Good | all change is bad unless a bad thing is changed -> Changing SP is bad

18. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I like SP the way it is; it is the best forum on the web. Limited avatars though, add all of BG series and gimme a sarevok doll!

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    A very bold statement. I can assume from this that you've been to every forum that exists on the web? Wow, great achievement mate :) .

20. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

No but for me it is the best.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.