1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Quebec

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by LKD, Dec 8, 2005.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I usually don't set off such emotionally charged topics, but this one I did, so it behooves me as a decent human being to bring the topic over into a new thread rather than hijack the one on the upcoming election.

I'm sorry if I offended Trik (not sure of the name; sorry) with my comment, but my post reflects the general feelings of most westerners toward the separatists (not necessarily the whole populace of the province.)

If you look at transfer payments, Alberta is (and has been for decades) a net contributor. Quebec has been a net receiver for decades. Helping an underprivledged group in the short term is one thing. Continually having your resources sucked out and given away, and THEN having it implied that you are an evil redneck for not being ecstatically happy to be robbed, tends to generate hostility.

Now, I have afriend from Quebec -- nicest guy you could meet. He's Francophone, but he is not a Separatist.

The other problem I have with the province is the time and resources that are always being taken away to deal with the "Quebec Question." Last I heard, there is no language police trying to force francophones speak english. Nor is there any form of institutionalized discrimination in Canada designed to make the Quebecois feel like second class citizens. Yet they are ALWAYS trying to make it sound like there's an inquisition out to screw them over, and to compensate, they need Federal funds. To me, it's trash. Canada could be making all sorts of progress in many fields if this non-issue weren't always being dragged to the fore.

End Rant

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I am from Quebec, and let me tell you, as soon as I can I'm getting out of there. It plainly sucks. 51% of paychecks disappearing into oblivion, a deficient health system, Quebec is far from being a pretty sight. And separing from the rest of Canada wouldn't be the best of ideas, it would probably just get worst. There is very serious work to do to make Quebec an attracting place again.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Interesting point, Disciple. I know that from a historical perspective, Quebec is loaded with sites worth seeing, and the physical landscape is breathtaking -- one day I'd like to see it. But politically and economically speaking, it is becoming less attractive, as evidenced by you and my friend I mentioned (he came to Alberta to get away from the separatists and the corrupt provincial government, Francophone though he is.)

If the province wants to separate, fine -- but they take their fair share of the federal deficit with them; they don't just offload it onto the rest of us and walk away scot free. They benefited from being here, they should pay their bar tab if they decide to leave.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31

You honestly have to wonder how the economies of Quebec and Ontario would be now if the language laws had never come into effect.

If there had not been the huge exodus of Anglos from Quebec to Ontario, for the most part taking their high paying jobs along with them, would Quebec be one of the "have" provinces now?

It is absolutely amazing how many people I run into who have the same story - Anglo, born in Montreal, moved to Toronto in the late 70s or early 80s because of the French language laws, and their job relocated to Toronto with them.

Still, there is nothing much that can be done about it now. After living in Ontario for so long most of us ex-Quebecers are not about to move back regardless of any changes to the law.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Quebec is a touristic jewel. So many breathtaking sites, with history and a rustic charm, Quebec is truly a tourist's dream. But everything sours when it comes to politics. I agree with you, LDK, you make excellent points.

While I am a Quebecer and a frenchman of birth, honestly, Quebec sucks. Take the Law 101, for exemple: it is bittersweet to me. While I see it as a noble effort of protecting our culture and language, I think it's stupid to limit ourself only to french. Let's face it - french is slowly disappearing.

I have mastered my english - possibly one of the best things I ever did, and as soon as I can, I'm leaving Quebec. I might go in Alberta, or Brisith Columbia, I haven't decided yet. But it is clear that I'm NOT spending the rest of my life in Quebec.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

First off, Quebec will never seperate. They would not get 50% +1 of the votes required to seperate.

Secondly, they get more from the country because they have an entire political party devoted to advancing Quebec. The Bloc only cares about one Province as opposed to the whole country.

Third, since the late 60's (whenever Trudeau was elected), every PM who's lasted more than 1 year was from Quebec (Trudeau, Mulroney, Chretian, Martin). No wonder they get preferred treatment.

Fourth, they are culturally distinct from the rest of the nation. Sure all the regions are different, but Quebec is most different. While yes, that makes it a tourist's dream, it also makes them the butt of many unkind jokes.

Yes, Quebec is negatively viewed in Canada. Maybe they need to acknowledge themselves as Canadians. This doesn't seem to happen. There was an incident in 1998, when a Bloc MP went to the Olympics in Nagano, and complained that there were too many Canadian flags. I know that she wanted to see more of the Fleur de Lis, but Don Cherry took issue with this, defending the country. Patrick Roy, Ray Borque and other French Canadian players were there to represent Canada, not Quebec...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.