1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Purchasing... Please read...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by HolyWizard, Jun 8, 2001.

1. HolyWizard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm truly considering to purchase Ice Wind Dale, and though I am a big fan of RPGs some reviews I have read on it have lead me to believe that it may not be the best game to spend $60+ on (IWD+HoW). Although one of my good friends really thinks I should buy it, I would rather consult with people who play it a lot to get a broaden idea of how it is, so if you don't mind, is it worth it?

Oh, by the way, I'm a newbie anyway to change 'Watcher' to some different class, and how do I get an icon like other people under my nick.

Thanks a lot for your time!

[This message has been edited by HolyWizard (edited June 08, 2001).]

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] You grade (and picture) will change as you post, so it pays to stick around here ;). Read the FAQ for more info about the grades.

Icewind Dale is a great game, and if you just love BG it is a game for you to have.

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have played BG, BG2, and IWD extensively and all three of the games with the expansions are worth while. Each of the games have their strong points and weak points. With IWD you create all the characters and do not have the option of bringing along NPC's. The game is more linear than the BG series in that you have to complete one section before you can go on to the next. This does not detract from the game however, it forces the adventure to move along as the designers intended. I have played pen and paper D&D since the early 70's and a good Dungeon Master who has developed an adventure does the same thing, he just uses more subtle means.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited June 08, 2001).]

4. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

IWD is a modern dungeon hack. It's the thinking mans diablo! But all the hack and slash dosn't make it a bad game. All combats are highpaced and the story is good. The only thing the game lacks is npc interactivity.

5. HolyWizard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Why thank you for replying, it seems that I will purchase IWD+HoW, thanks guys, and as Mollusken said, I'll stick around!

6. Havok Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I've played BG, IWD/HoW, and have started BG2. I'm not that thrilled with BG2 thus far, but I'm hoping it'll get better as I get deeper into the game.

Of the three, I rate them in the following order: IWD/HoW, BG, and BG2 last.

"Long Live the Dale!"

7. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I totally agree with the ranking, Havok! IWD is probably the best, followed closely or tied with BG1.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Nononono.

My ranking BI jewels from best to worst:

1. Planescape: Torment
    2. BG1
    3. BG2
    4. IWD

And why? Because I hate hack'n'slash and want a good story, that's why.

For someone who likes hack'n'slash more than a good story, the ranking above would be from worst to best.

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I agree with extremist, IWD has a very very linear plot, you feel like going down some VERY narrow path. The story is ok, but nothign fantastic, and this game is more hack n' slash than either BG or BG2.

just a friendly reminder, you should read the FAQ as the dragons seem rather stressed these days, cuz of some problems with other newcomers :)

10. Havok Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I respect your opinions Extremist and Lokken, but honestly, IWD has been more entertaining to me thus far. So I'll stick with my rankings.

Planescape Torment is an excellent addition to the list.

[This message has been edited by Havok (edited June 10, 2001).]

11. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I feel I must defend my position somewhat, or clarify at least. I love all these games and I love a good story. I'm actually not very into the hack and salsh type games at all. I think BG1 had a pretty good balance, BG2 is missing something, it just isn't as good. I feel corralled in it even more than in IWD, maybe because in IWD thats the point, I don't know. What I find great in a game isn't just the story and RP factors, but the art, graphics, sound and voice acting as well, and on that note IWD is on top. I just got a copy of PS:T off of ebay so I'll be checking it out soon. I'm sure I'll love it, but IWD is #1 for me until then.

12. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I played BG2 first--and loved it. I agree that it is slightly more hack and slash than the first BG... but:

BG actually rewarded non-violent adventures less---like thieves getting exp for disarming traps and mages getting exp for memorizing spells.. and in BG one, I did a few quest and got nothing except the exp I received from killing something! I still remembering getting mad when I brought back that belt to the gnome after killing the ogre.. and I just received some lame gold (no exp.)

BG2 on the other hand, gave many rewards for being non-violent and solving quests... everything you did that required at least basic thought and effort gave exp.

and IWD is hack and slash extreme---even when you can get more exp for trying a non-violent solution, you end up getting the exp for trying then YOU HAVE TO KILL ANYWAY!!

for example --- the first quest--dale of shadows?? (can't remember)--you get some exp for suggesting a non-violent solution to a tomb guardian--you get some exp for this.. then you have to kill him anyway!! how bizarre

all these games are excellent, however... remember the first wizardry/bard's tale/might and magic? about 3 puzzles and 1000 combats..

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Has anyone noticed that HolyWizard is a liar? He thanked us for his help & promised to stick around. . .

The result - 4 posts.

It's not that I mind helping people . . . I just feel used. Makes me feel dirty :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.