1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Probs with Norton Internet security: ad-blocking

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by olimikrig, Oct 4, 2005.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sometimes it shows the ads correctly at sites on which I've allowed ad's, other times it doesn't show any ad's at all, and again other times, I just get a white box, which is more way more annoying than any ad'd ever seen... :confused:

Anyone know what might be causing this?

[ October 06, 2005, 16:34: Message edited by: olimikrig ]

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I've never had the white box. What version are you using and what browser?

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm using IE, not sure what version, but guess it would be the newest one.

Norton is 2004, dunno if you need more info, I'm kinda a newb on this field :p

The funny thing is, that here on SP, fx, I get regularly fully shown ad's on the main page, and all sub-pages, it's only on the forums my ad's are screwed :confused:

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Rather strange, since our ad code is the same on the site and forums... But there are some specifics here on the boards.

I never use any ad blockers so I never have any problems such as this. It's not surprising that now and then things won't work. As far as I'm concerned, blocking ads is an illegal external intervention into the content of any site, which works by certain templates. If you get a site or a page that doesn't fit any of the programmed templates, things simply go wrong.

Anyway, since you're getting an SPS account in a few days, it won't be an issue for you any more. You'll be able to disable all ads on SP easily.

5. olimikrig

Media:
    But, the problem isn't that I want to remove the ads, if it was so I could simply set Norton to block the ads, whicxh would completely remove them.
    I don't mind having the ad's if it generates money for SP, but I do mind seeing white boxes :p

Ah, guess I'll just stop using ad-blocking.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The white boxes would be because of the way SP serves ads. It's pretty specific. So if you're blocking the ads, you'll most likely be left with the frames where the ads should be.

7. olimikrig

Media:
    Bit I specifically told the ad-blocking component not to block the SP ad's; but this might,as you yourself mention, be a clash with how the ad's are being shown, and then the devices norton uses to block ad's in general that makes the ad's semi-blocked even though SP is specified as a site on which I would like the ad's shown :hmm: ... And the whole Front page - BoM dilemma strikes me as odd :rolleyes:

Anyways, I've just deselected the component, it's not as if ad's bother me as such.

8. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I'd get rid of Norton if I were you - it can do irreparable damage to you registry. And it doesn't really do the job it says on the tin very well either.

9. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Use firefox with the adblock extension. I don't know how the norton ad-block works, but ff adblock blacklists individual ads and doesn't do it globally like it sounds that norton is doing. So you would see an ad then right click > adblock and it's gone.

Although, I don't use it too much, just the ones that are annoying like those that they force on you at gamespot when first entering the site.

"ven though SP is specified as a site on which I would like the ad's shown"

Probably because sorcerers.net doesn't host the actual content of the ads. If a yahoo add is shown, you would have to allow yahoo.com or so.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.